So I have an idea for a costume I want to make in the future for halo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTColonelMonty

So obviously I have my attention focused onto spartan armor right now, but in the future. I thought of maybe if it would be plausible to make a costume of a Mantis (Due to confusion I just want to clarify a costume not an actual mech.) from Halo 4, if anyone has tried to do this can you please tell me because this seems like something interesting that I could eventually do in the next few years once I get the hang of making costumes, obviously people like my father I will have heavy assistance from but I just want to know if people have attempted to do this before.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know people have done full size hunters, elites, and there is a post actively going on with a brute. Big projects do exist they just take a team and a lot of time.

Okay, don't take this as an insult but we need to analyze exactly what we want to achieve and it's feasibility.
So a full scale and fully operating mantis would be insanely unlikely. Is it technically possible? Yes. But the amount of engineering and money would make it insanely difficult.
A more feasible goal would be to make a human size puppet
in the follwing photo, you can clearly see the puppeteer behind the droid.
mif-k2so-puppet-darren-imperial-costume.jpg

Okay, don't take this as an insult but we need to analyze exactly what we want to achieve and it's feasibility.
So a full scale and fully operating mantis would be insanely unlikely. Is it technically possible? Yes. But the amount of engineering and money would make it insanely difficult.
A more feasible goal would be to make a human size puppet
in the follwing photo, you can clearly see the puppeteer behind the droid.
View attachment 249812
I aint saying that I want to make a real life version of a mantis at all that's just insane, I am talking just a costume to wear around my body the turrets and the rocket arm things being held up by my arms legs being able to walk by legs obviously and the cockpit where half of me would be, it would probably be made out of foam not a litteral mech. P.S It wouldn't be able to fire anything hence it being just a costume.

the hips will be difficult. have you checked out Brittany Doran's Sweeperbot build? you could probably learn something from watching those vids
Theres a playlist for it on Youtube.
the puppeteer idea isn't bad because the shape is so far from a human in that the legs are far apart and the stomach area is so tiny. if you don't want to puppeteer it, you'll probably just glue the pieces to underarmor, the mech effect might be lost though.

I believe it would be possible but first of all, i imagine it would be a lot of work to create the templates and to fit them to your size. But overall i personally think it is doable. The only part i see beeing a problem are the legs since they are in some special sort of angle, but i am in the progress of figurering this "leg angle issue" out on my own since i am in the process of planning a turian cosplay from Mass Effect and their legs have about the same angle as the Mantis does, so if i happen to come to an conclusion, i`ll let you know. I am getting of topic here. Besides the legs the rest of the Mantis could be build to fit a human body (maybe with some minor adjustments or changes) so i already wish you good luck with your project in advance.
And yes, like Bullseye previously stated, people have done Elites and Hunters so why not a Mantis ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back