Solid as Steel: steel MJOLNIR Mk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the update, coming together well.

How are you finding using metal to provide the detail in the pieces - is it malleable enough to be intricate?

It's far sharper than it is malleable, my fingers can say that for sure. But yeah, this steel's pretty easy working. Mostly due to how thin it is. Not really sure how thin precisely... tape measure shows something like 0.3 mm. so I guess it to be 20 gauge. It's a tad thicker than 110 lb cardstock. Not too sturdy as a sheet, but when it's bent to shape and riveted together it's really quite impressive. To me anyhow.

Wicked man, love the story. That's been my relationship with the 405th and Halo as well; on, off, on, check out the site, make your way back. I'm glad to hear it!

As for whether or not somebody has made MKV MJOLNIR out of metal, the answer is 1 other person has. His name is Moz, and this is his rebuild thread where he uses metal.

Best of luck mate, hope things go well!

Checking in. Your work looks really good. are you using any weld techniques or just rivets? What kind of rivets do you use?

Sweet! I've been working with metal my whole life, all different types of commercial welding/fabricating jobs. I'd happily answer any questions or help out anyway I can if you need it.
Looks awesome so far! Looks like you have the shaping down and you're just using pop rivets right?

One tip I might provide is when you pop rivet a lot of layers of metal together, like a whole suits worth, the rivets will relax over time and the suit will "squeak" when you move. I helped out a renaissance fair a couple of years ago and they said their armor was really creaky. I suggested using caulking (regular acrylic is fine) between the sheets and where you rivet. It makes for a more solid piece imo.

Looks great!

Wow...I can understand being a huge fan and all, and not liking anything about a rival game, but jesus christ some people take it WAY too far. I would've totally had your back man, couldn't give two if I got hauled out of there by authorities (I'm not big on CoD either). But really this gets me heated just reading about it.

I wish people would just respect others. Jeers and condescending remarks are one thing, but direct, personal insults and physical violence are over the line.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for whether or not somebody has made MKV MJOLNIR out of metal, the answer is 1 other person has. His name is Moz, and this is his rebuild thread where he uses metal.

Eeyup, I mentioned that the only other person I'd heard of using metal was Moz earlier. His one under armor suit harness video has been an incredible asset over the years, from making Megatron, to the Chief, to Solid Snake. However, reading the thread, I see that he used metal plus fiberglass and matte board. I'm making the whole shabang out of metal. Every part that's olive drab, that's gonna be metal. And lots of parts that are black. Really, I'm just using foam to pad out myself and the armor. The armor will be armor :D

Checking in. Your work looks really good. are you using any weld techniques or just rivets? What kind of rivets do you use?

I might solder some, but it's just pop rivets pretty much all the way. Lots and lots of pop rivets.

Sweet! I've been working with metal my whole life, all different types of commercial welding/fabricating jobs. I'd happily answer any questions or help out anyway I can if you need it.
Looks awesome so far! Looks like you have the shaping down and you're just using pop rivets right?

One tip I might provide is when you pop rivet a lot of layers of metal together, like a whole suits worth, the rivets will relax over time and the suit will "squeak" when you move. I helped out a renaissance fair a couple of years ago and they said their armor was really creaky. I suggested using caulking (regular acrylic is fine) between the sheets and where you rivet. It makes for a more solid piece imo.

Looks great!

Thanks! Really, this is my first major metal working project. I'm glad to know it at least looks like I'm doin' it right. I'll be sure to ask ya if anything comes to mind, and thanks a bunch for that tip.

Wow...I can understand being a huge fan and all, and not liking anything about a rival game, but jesus christ some people take it WAY too far. I would've totally had your back man, couldn't give two if I got hauled out of there by authorities (I'm not big on CoD either). But really this gets me heated just reading about it.

I wish people would just respect others. Jeers and condescending remarks are one thing, but direct, personal insults and physical violence are over the line.

I believe similarly, as do my
BALLSOFSTEEL.png
. Hence why I didn't just up'n kick his ass. If a solution can be reached through peaceful means, it is the preferable option. If it cannot, violence is not the correct answer. Instead of gettin' into it with who I found out later was both a jackass and a minor, I just let it go and decided to make a real suit of steel armor. I doubt he'll try it again with a six and a half foot tall fully armored spartan, black ops or no. Peaceful solution = win.

To all: No progress for a while, I've started on the helmet and that's gonna take time. Also, it was my bro's b-day the other day, so I had to take time away to be a big-brother-best-friend-forever. Made his cake myself http://fav.me/d5lcb8m though no one had the heart to cut it 'til near the end of the day. But by the power of Greyskull, it was good. Spent the entire dang night playin' Halo 4 with him. He got the special edition XBox and everything XD I've also got a huge plush that I've been payed great sums of money for that I've gotta get done, so that's going to take priority. And my classwork. I won't suffer my GPA for the sake of kickass armor, no matter how much I'd like to. Besides, it'll give my visor and foam padding time to arrive and my hands time to heal.

As a side note, anyone know what happened to Moz? Forum shows his last activity as two years ago... Did he just drift away from the forums like I did?

Good job so far man! I like it! I might add a sheet of metal to the top of my helm, so I can try to do headspins on it.

I am making a version of one of his models... I hope he's not dead. (Moz that is) I would like to say thanks to him!

There's lot's of little tricks to bending metal just right. I have various scraps of iron (all sorts of shapes and sizes) that i use a sort of anvil behind the metal. There's a TON of sheet metal videos on youtube. Remember to take your time and measure twice. The fiberglass suit I made was easier in the fact that I could build up messy areas with bondo, but you won't have that luxury so be careful! I made armor for the skyrim release I'll try and get some pics for you, but I went around to different heating and air places around town and asked if I could have some of their scrap. Ended up getting a ton of steel for free. Try that maybe! That's all I can think of for now.

There's lot's of little tricks to bending metal just right. I have various scraps of iron (all sorts of shapes and sizes) that i use a sort of anvil behind the metal. There's a TON of sheet metal videos on youtube. Remember to take your time and measure twice. The fiberglass suit I made was easier in the fact that I could build up messy areas with bondo, but you won't have that luxury so be careful! I made armor for the skyrim release I'll try and get some pics for you, but I went around to different heating and air places around town and asked if I could have some of their scrap. Ended up getting a ton of steel for free. Try that maybe! That's all I can think of for now.

Thanks again! I get my metal for $7 a sheet over in the ductwork section of the hardware store, sheets about 33 by 30 in. I'll look around too; can't pass up free armor fuel XD

To all: Got my visor in. Dang fast too, placed my order Friday night and got it Monday(today). Revzilla, if I ever need another visor I'm going to you. So shiny *_* Even makes the paper helm look good!

papervisorman.jpg

Acquired a hauntingly accurate toy Glock from the Dollar General. Came with some stuff that I sawed off and modded to make it look like a magnum. Really cheap, but somewhat effective. Need to get a better one and an AR before I debut the suit though.

h1mag1.jpg

h1mag2.jpg

Also, finally found the only video footage of my Black Ops II antics to surface, and all it's got is my first moment of shame. I honestly couldn't hear him and thought he wanted a pic TT_TT

[video]http://youtu.be/kxl-ZD5Cfes?t=1m33s[/video]

No more progress as of yet other than getting some pieces cut out. Partly posting to say that the project is on hold just a few weeks more until I get some stuff straightened out, and that I got my foam in for the padding/undersuiting and such. Mostly here to drop off a cut and edited version of that one clip of me from the CoD midnight launch that I tossed together and thought was funny.

Worry not, if you worried. I'm seeing this through to the end. If the world doesn't end as we know it in the next month, expect awesome. If it does, then I'm screwed 'cause I don't have my power armor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back