Sons Haloween Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laird Seamus

So about the second week in Sept. my 10 year old son decided he wanted to be a spartan for Halloween. I like and play the game regularly so I thought it was a great idea. So we looked at costumes online and he said those sucked, I agreed. So I came across pepakura and the 405th. So I set off to make my son Spartan armor in just under 8 weeks having no experience with pepakura, fiberglassing or anything of the sort. I spent about a week scouring through the forums here and you tube and anywhere else I could get information. So then I started... I used Xacto knifes to cut and score and super glue to well, glue. Next came the resin, simple enough right... well actually, yes. So then comes the part where everyone seems to have there own ideas on how it should go, the reinforcing or fiberglassing or whatever you choose. I started with just fiberglassing on the feet first. I personally didn't like the results, they were good but just not for me. So through trial and error, I used a bondo product called Bondo-Glass and just as it sounds it is fiberglass and bondo together that you mix with the red harderner. So after I coated the inside of each piece with the BG. I then sanded it all down sanding through most of the paper shell. When the Bondo-Glass cures it is hard like fiberglass but sands like Bondo. So I was able to round out most of the armor. If I sanded though I would just add BG to the inside and 15 minutes later start sanding again. I had to use very very little regular bondo through the entire process. The BG will allow you to add detail like bondo but is very hard to get to crack. So anyway I didn't take any pictures along the way but here is the armor as of Halloween, we still have work to do on it and we left the visor out because he was running around at night in the dark. Yes I know the "under armor" is blue. Remember this was started and gotten to its current state in about 6-7 weeks.

kasper said:
Wow man thats some awesome armor. he must have been the envy of all the kids

i love it! that's so cool. and he haz recon, so that's always a plus. but he's pretty tall for a ten year old, if that gentleman is any size comparison. truly a spartan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks fantastic for 6 or 7 weeks! Did you have any problems with cracking or rigidity with the Bondo-Glass?

Brandon McClain said:
Looks fantastic for 6 or 7 weeks! Did you have any problems with cracking or rigidity with the Bondo-Glass?

No, no problem with it cracking so far. It is really strong too, he has already dropped the helmet about 50 times and not even a hair line crack. I did some testing with it one afternoon and was really impressed. I am going to start working on my own EOD armor soon and I will use it again. A side note though, a resperator IS A MUST. When you start sanding it there are is a lot of glass in the air.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back