Soooo...tell Me About Plano/dfw

Status
Not open for further replies.

DogWizard

Well...

It looks like it might be happening after all. There is a real possibility that we may have an opportunity to relocate to the Plano area. Any information that the fine members of the Texas Regiment could share would be much appreciated - I'm looking for info on areas to live, cultural landmarks, job market, weather, the whole shebang...

I just started looking online but nothing beats a little first hand experience - thanks for any help!

-D

DogWizard said:
Well...

It looks like it might be happening after all. There is a real possibility that we may have an opportunity to relocate to the Plano area. Any information that the fine members of the Texas Regiment could share would be much appreciated - I'm looking for info on areas to live, cultural landmarks, job market, weather, the whole shebang...

I just started looking online but nothing beats a little first hand experience - thanks for any help!

-D

Got a cousin that lives there. Actually spent a year just a few miles south of Plano. I found the area to really nice. It looks clean and safe. Weather-wise, hot in summer, anything goes in the winter. Might have snow one day, have shorts weather the next. Area is known to have some really good thunderstorms too.

Beware the highway that runs through the area. 75 I think? Traffic can get really bad. Downtown Dallas is maybe 20 minuets away on a good day.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
moonwildflower said:
Got a cousin that lives there. Actually spent a year just a few miles south of Plano. I found the area to really nice. It looks clean and safe. Weather-wise, hot in summer, anything goes in the winter. Might have snow one day, have shorts weather the next. Area is known to have some really good thunderstorms too.

Beware the highway that runs through the area. 75 I think? Traffic can get really bad. Downtown Dallas is maybe 20 minuets away on a good day.

Hope this helps!

That weather is every where in Texas, and sometimes I bugs me, Like the one time it snowed and the next day it was back to 70degrees...

Well its next to Dallas....

I live about 30 mins away from Plano. LEMME GIVE YEW THE SKEWP.

Plano is okay to live in. But you should really live in Denton. It's this totally awesome town that this one person lives in, calls herself Drakku, blah blah.

Nah, really though, Plano is a pretty good town. I haven't been recently, but it's kinda the upscale-ish place to be. Or at least, the newer parts of it.

- Traffic in the DFW area is rather.. uh.. interesting. But you live in Florida, and I know for a fact Florida traffic is DEATH compared to over here, so you should be in heaven.

- As far as jobs go.. hm. I haven't been paying attention to the job market honestly. GearBox Software is based in Plano, but I don't know if that's anything up your alley. Haha.

- Weather. We have seasons compared to you guys, but it's not as obvious as normal states. See, here in Texas, it's bipolar weather. We have a general consensus the weather likes to follow, but it randomly throws crap at us. IE, this past week has been nothing but random thunderstorms and the temperature has dropped into the lower 80s, upper 70s. Spring and autumn are the best times of the year, weather reminds me of Florida, but not quite as humid. Summer is extreme, and winter isn't horrible, but it's more than you're prolly used to over there. During the summer, we go for months at a time in the 95-105º range in temperature with like, 80% humidity. It's horrible. And winter gets cold, and we ocassionally get snow, but not often.

- As for entertainment, there's a lot of wonderful things to do in the metroplex, including many historic monuments, museums, and other interesting things. We have Kennedy's assassination site, fo sho. Dunno if we should be proud of that, but we do.

And there you go! Talk to Das Brutas, he's another DFW area member.

:D I hope this works out! That would be awesome. Then Texas would have even more awesome people in it.

Sweet.... Dog, your going to really enjoy it there. First off DasBrutus is about 20 min.s away, and there are like 3-4 Cons there every year. Drakku is right about the traffic though, you better be ready for rapid high speed maneuvers. My parents live about 45min from there so we'll try to catch up with you sometime. Housing isn't to bad, my bother just leased a house south of dallas, in De Soto, for about $625.00 a month, and it's one of those designer split level homes, by a lake (even has a tree growing in the house). So I'm sure finding something with in reason is very possible. And Best of all, you will have a Reynolds, just down the road, and can pick up your mold and casting needs at your leisure...

Thanks for all the responses! I've been doing some more research and it looks like the weather is fairly comparable to Jacksonville - a bit warmer in the Summer and a bit colder in the Winter (not big deal though). I really grew up in the Midwest and New England so it would be nice to have more "defined" seasons. New England is the same as far as variable weather - I remember skiing in shorts and a T-shirt fairly often... :D

Traffic CANNOT be any worse than it is in Florida. I've driven in New York, Washington, Providence, and most major cities on the eastern seaboard and I have never seen such a random collection of incompetent misfit drivers in all my life. White trash beaters (and every single one has a landscaping trailor attached), wannabe urban cowboy pick'm'up trucks with 24" lift kits, metallic green pearlescent Crown Vic's with 22" rims, and the "over 90" Buick/Lincoln/Caddy crowd all fighing it out in the same suicide lane...not a pretty thing to watch, let alone to be stuck in... :eek

So Denton huh...? I hear that's where all the cool people are (at least some of them)... :cool

I'm not sure what out time frame is (or even if it's a definate thing) but I've started tooking into the job market out there and it looks SIGNIFICANTLY better than the Jax area. Housing and property values seem to be fairly comparable but with a MUCH higher per capita household income so that bodes well for the move. We would most likely rent a house for a bit while we get settled in and look around. And as you say, there is a Reynolds in the area so Hammers All Around!!! :lol

If we decide to do this we will certainly make a couple of pre-move trips to look everything over - hopefully I can bribe some of you guys/girls to play tour guide. Thanks again for all the input and if anyone else out there feels like jumping in, please don't hesitate - any info is good info!

My folks live in Ft Worth so I'm up on that end quite a bit. Dallas traffic is bad but usually when I go Downtown there I take the train for $3 from Ft Worth. If you like a bit of Western and World culture, the museums are world-class.

Lockheed and Bell Helicopter are around too if you're an aerospace fan like me. Not quite as cool as Space X testing rockets in Waco but seeing the final Raptors on the assembly floor is pretty boss IMO.

Oh and there are no pines, just stumpy junipers and big hardwoods and mesquites.

Other than what everyone has said I guess the only other thing is that Plano has a pretty big Mormon community for Texas. No clue why. Probably why Waco has Branch Dividians. :)

DogWizard said:
Thanks for all the responses! I've been doing some more research and it looks like the weather is fairly comparable to Jacksonville - a bit warmer in the Summer and a bit colder in the Winter (not big deal though). I really grew up in the Midwest and New England so it would be nice to have more "defined" seasons. New England is the same as far as variable weather - I remember skiing in shorts and a T-shirt fairly often... :D

Traffic CANNOT be any worse than it is in Florida. I've driven in New York, Washington, Providence, and most major cities on the eastern seaboard and I have never seen such a random collection of incompetent misfit drivers in all my life. White trash beaters (and every single one has a landscaping trailor attached), wannabe urban cowboy pick'm'up trucks with 24" lift kits, metallic green pearlescent Crown Vic's with 22" rims, and the "over 90" Buick/Lincoln/Caddy crowd all fighing it out in the same suicide lane...not a pretty thing to watch, let alone to be stuck in...
blink.gif

So Denton huh...? I hear that's where all the cool people are (at least some of them)... :cool

I'm not sure what out time frame is (or even if it's a definate thing) but I've started tooking into the job market out there and it looks SIGNIFICANTLY better than the Jax area. Housing and property values seem to be fairly comparable but with a MUCH higher per capita household income so that bodes well for the move. We would most likely rent a house for a bit while we get settled in and look around. And as you say, there is a Reynolds in the area so Hammers All Around!!! :lol

If we decide to do this we will certainly make a couple of pre-move trips to look everything over - hopefully I can bribe some of you guys/girls to play tour guide. Thanks again for all the input and if anyone else out there feels like jumping in, please don't hesitate - any info is good info!

The humidity is worse in Florida (at least it was when I lived and worked in Kissimmee). Traffic is negotiable, timing is everything... Dallas, Denton, even Plano... decent places in each, bad places as well... but at the end of the day you'd be a 3 hour drive from Ithica, 4 hours from NewSpartanCreator, and Adam is somewhere in between!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back