Sorry John

Status
Not open for further replies.

alix965

A while back I started a thread in which I explored the motivations and psychological disposition of the UNSC's most valiant hero. Many weighed in with their own opinions that were well thought out and presented A great deal of valid points about what makes a lone super soldier like the 'Master Chief' tick. Although helped to view our subject in a new light, MY opinion that no human being can fight the good fight for decades on end without becoming some sort of detached yet highly efficient killing machine.

Just finished Halo 3 again, having done so a long time ago,but having paid more attention to multiplayer.

On my first go around I missed some of the more subtle and PERSONAL parts of the Master Chief Petty Officer/John 117's/-[MIA]- interactions with his fellow servicemen. His humanity was especially evident during his interactions with the marine Sergeant Major Avery Junior Johnson-[KIA]- on the Forerunner installation commonly referred to as The Ark.

Throughout the final campaign against the loyalist Covenant forces MCPO/SPARTAN II/John-117, was greeted by troopers, marines, civilians and various other individuals with exuberance and renewed effort to carry the fight to the enemy. The morale of the fighting men John-117 accompanied, led, and often fought beside, was immediately lifted. It is believed that his very presence on any given battlefield was enough to make wounded men forget pain and for broken spirits to gain a new sense of hope.

The Master Chief displayed an appropriate level of concern when his ranking Command Field Officer Miranda Keyes-[KIA]- was slain by the objective Covenant HVT, 'The Prophet of Truth'.
He also demonstrated kindness and care when attending to his mortally wounded NCO Johnson. It is safe to say that The Chief considered Sergeant Major Johnson a dear friend.

In conclusion. Through firsthand knowledge and a preponderance of evidence as well as the testimony presented by various infantry/admin/staff members of the UNSC's vaunted 405th infantry regiment, I find that his humanity more than his deep seated sense of duty is what drove him to great sacrifice and to great victory in the name of mankind.

I hereby find that the SPARTAN Class II//NavSpecWar asset//MCPO John-117[MIA] was, in fact a HERO in every sense of the word.

P.S. I Loved Halo 3

Hes technically not missing in action, we all know he is alive but as far as the UNSC knows... And as fox said hes a Spartan II.

He technically, and in every sense, IS Missing in Action. The UNSC has no idea where he is. The audience doesn't even really know. "Adrift in space" doesn't narrow it down at all. He's definitely not Killed in Action, but he's Missing in Action and with all certainty, Wounded in Action.

But, yes, I do agree that the Chief is a hero, who fought for humanity, and inspired morale, every time he picked up a weapon.

Also: Spartans NEVER die Jorge...They just go to hell to regroup

There were little things in the stroytelling of H3 that hinted at John's personality. Still a man of few words, it looked like stuff happened between episodes/battles (games) that affected the main characters involved. I mean besides the obvious stuff like Cortana getting grilled by the Gravemind and the Chief steeling himself for the freefall from the Dreadnaught. In "Landfall" all of the troopers and brass involved were waiting to see what had/will become of the lone SPARTAN. Lord Hood says that the Chief is the only one who could pull off Keyes' plan. There had to be hella scuttlebutt going on in those barracks before those Effin' brutes took them over.

I remember the first thread, and argued in favor of Johns (sometimes misunderstood) humanity. Glad to see you came around Alix!

John is like many of the warriors coming home to America today, especially the ones who have been in for a while and/or in an elite unit and don't know anything but how to kill stuff. Doesn't make them any less human or mean that they don't feel or think. They are heros, but they sometimes they need our help, understanding and respect more than anything else when they come home and have to integrate into the sheeple. They all deserve our thanks, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back