Spartan in Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyPhantom

Hey, so as the title says im sorta new to all of this but I'm really considering on making my own armor suit. I've read some forums and kinda got a background idea of it all, but I could still use a lot of advice and guidance on what I should do and where to go for things.

So I know to make a suit there's three ideal materials that people have been posting about: foam, pepakura, and 3D prints. Ive read that foam is easier, but I personally think it'd be cool to have a 3D printed set (even though it might cost more money and time) but once again I'm not an expert on the pros and cons of things. I could start with foam to get a better idea of sizing and whatnot that way beginning mistakes won't cost much then switch over to 3D printing for the whole thing? Idk. Any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated :)

I would start with getting familiar with foam or pepakura. Unless you already have a 3d printer and experience in 3d modeling,3d printing can be daunting when getting started. And welcome to the 405th look forward to seeing a new build.

I would start with getting familiar with foam or pepakura. Unless you already have a 3d printer and experience in 3d modeling,3d printing can be daunting when getting started. And welcome to the 405th look forward to seeing a new build.

Alright. Foam or pepakura it is. What are the pros and cons of each? And where are good places to get materials from? I was thinking of doing a suit like the one in the picture (not sure which suit model this is, sorry not got with model identification) with small tweaks and different colors.

And thanks for the warm welcome. Looking forward to making my first suit.

Attachments

• IMG_1489.JPG
    IMG_1489.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 233
ThAt armor looks like a variant of the halo 3 MKVI but the undersuit reminds me of halo wars. I've never seen that armor before and I don't know where you'd find the files for it. Everything in the armory is categorized buy game or movie etc. As for material if you want to do pep ( make a list it's a lot ). You'll need to start with some card stock which is thick paper, a knife ( I liked an exacto knife), extra blades, a metal ruler for cutting straight lines, and your choice glue ( lots of opinions on that super glue, hot glue, white glue). That's just to start the paper part. Then you'll need fiberglass resin, fiberglass clothe, a respirator to use when fiberglassing. They you'll need bondo and finishing tools. Peps is a lot of work in my opinion. I like using foam. To start with foam you need foam floor mats, a sharp blade, metal ruler and glue. Check out evil ted smith and punished props for foam tutorials on YouTube. Punish props includes all their materials they use in their descriptions on YouTube . I'm not too sure who does some good pepakura tutorials.

Last edited:
Welcome to the 405th Danny!

SI3RRA 117 - @cerealkill3r has really good pepakura tutorial.

Pepakura-
Pros: Durabile (low maintenance), heavy (feels like real armor), cheap to start, very easy to look good (if you're okay with lots of sanding) aka doesn't require much skill.

Cons: Lots of sanding, well ventilated area needed (caustic chemicals), to look the best- lots of products are needed at the end (expensive), the whole process takes a long time.

Foam-
Pros: can build inside home, can fix sizing issues on the fly, cheap to own over time, easy to work with.

Cons: high maintenance (repairs are inevitable), high skill to look top notch (hand eye coordination while cutting), expensive to start (lots of tools are needed to produce HQ - heat gun, hot knife, sander, Dremel and maybe more Idk plus a good stack of floor mats.)

I don't know PerniciousDuke i think more tools are needed for pep. But I'm a foam guy ;) so I may be a little bias. But I started foam with just some floor mats, a knife, cutting mat (forgot that in the other post. You want a cutting mat for either method) and hot glue. But I guess starting with pep is basically the same idea just card stock instead.

That picture is a fan-made 3d model and render of it. If you ever were to print it you'd have to fully model it first, then make it compatible and then 3d print it. Unless you have experience and skill - no-go.

PerniciousDuke listed pros and cons of foam very nicely. I would recommend trying both methods out and see for yourself. Some people find foam easier, other people prefer pepakura. I would add that foam tends to make you warm/hot much easier and faster which is a con. And with pepakura the weight might be a good thing because it feels like armor and you walk like a badass Spartan but also it may tire you out quicker if you aren't used to the weight.

I don't know PerniciousDuke i think more tools are needed for pep. But I'm a foam guy ;) so I may be a little bias. But I started foam with just some floor mats, a knife, cutting mat (forgot that in the other post. You want a cutting mat for either method) and hot glue. But I guess starting with pep is basically the same idea just card stock instead.

The idea is that with pep you need no power tools to get high quality results (just Lots of elbow grease). They are nice sure, but just glue, paper, a knife, resin, bondo, sandpaper paint you can get results like some of the best suits out there. But with lots of hand sanding. Make the shape with paper, smooth it out with bondo, pretty linear.

Foam on the other hand there are some effects you can only get using things like a heat gun or dremel or sanding belt. It's a very skill driven method in my opinion. Skill on when and where to use different tools and techniques to achieve the look you want.

Thanks for the bump CommanderPalmer . I agree. With how much time, effort and money it takes to make a full suit (no matter which route) it really depends on what you feel most comfortable and capable with. Everyone has their preferences.

Good luck Danny and happy building!

Last edited:
Si3RRA 117, I agree with PerniciousDuke. No power tools are needed. At all. You can do it all by hand, sure, but it takes bit more time. If you have a simple dremel or drill tool, it will just make the process easier and faster, but it is VERY possible to make it with want.
Smoothing and sanding is the most time-consuming part. I just a driller with sanding part on it to make the process faster and easier - I don't know how many centuries it would take me to do it all by hand - but TBH majority of the armor parts I did without any tool, before my father suggested I could use a driller with that sanding tip to help the process.
I used dremel to carve out details and make holes, etc. (and it was a cheap-ass dremel I bought for like 20$ most of the time)
The mower power tools and machines you have, sure, it makes the process faster and easier, but it costs money to buy them, unless you have those.

But, it is very much possible to make a costume with pepakura method without any of these tools. AND pepakura is WAY cheaper at the start. At the beginning you just have to have a knife and paper, and best a cutting mat. Then you buy resin and fiberglass - and you don't need to buy many cans at once, but gradually, and then bondo and sandpaper.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is where the cost of fiberglass vs foam has a tendency to balance out some what. In the end you will have to shell out some cash for either method.

DannyPhantom now look what you've started. You've turned everyone against each other!! And PerniciousDuke and I just started getting along. ;) I'm just kidding as you can see tho everyone has their preferred method and stand behind their methods. CommanderPalmer and duke have both made good points. In the end its up to you to decide how you like to build. Good luck with your build.

Last edited:
DannyPhantom now look what you've started. You've turned everyone against each other!! And PerniciousDuke and I just started getting along. ;) I'm just kidding as you can see tho everyone has their preferred method and stand behind their methods. CommanderPalmer and duke have both made good points. In the end its up to you to decide how you like to build. Good luck with your build.
Haha didn't mean to ;) and yes all very good points and arguements all around. Makes the choice a little tougher but at least I know good points and tips to each side of things. I really do appreciate it guys and thank for including a trainee in the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back