Spartan Laser Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loves hina

Jr Member
Recently, because of a new asignment from my sculpture teacher, and a semming lack in finiched spartan lasers, ive decided to do one aside my odst armor build. This one will be done mostly at school except im going to be using bodo, so that will be done at home after ive finished glassing my armor. Im going to be slicing this and so if anyone has any tips on doing so with cardboard, that would be helpfull. I dont think ill be using wood most likely, due to weight, time, and the fact that im not in woodshop.

IMG_0163.jpg

That my first sketch from the game, traced for direct accuracy

IMG_0164.jpg

Full size drawing, scaled to the 988mm specified by bungie, might edit some things when my eye is refreshed

IMG_0166.jpg

A size comparison with my hand

Remember, id like info on how to strengthen it more, attaching the layers together, and if theres been any full builds of this yet, as i havent seen any. And i just realised what i picked for my first weapon build, and its custom. :D

A bit of advice from personal experience:

DO NOT USE PLYWOOD.

I highly recommend making the center section out of medium- or high-density fiberboard, because it doesn't break when dropped and carves like butter. Remember to remove as much mass from the centers of any non-exterior layers as you can, to save on weight. Having never made a prop from cardboard, that's all I can advise. On another note:

Your pattern is fantastic! It looks like it has slightly more detail than the actual game model, I can't wait to see how this turns out!

Size looks right on it then again ive never seen a real one lol

keep up the good work YuutaKenshi also i have a solution to Mikal Nphrno drop en' it problem

DONT DROP IT........ it would be a shame to see all of your work go to waste

yeah the blueprints are very higly detailed, and while I have never done a cardboard weapon (or a pep one for that matter) I am really looking forward to what comes out of this

Awesomeness, kinda makes me wanna make one, that is after my Weta Odst, Brute Shot, H2 build, Maybe Gravity hammer build. . .Yep besides those it's on the top of my list!

Wow that is going to turn out great cant wait for the finished product, and when its done hopefully your teachers give you an A+

Ok, everythign is going good with the laser!! i wish i could say the same for the armor, but because of the weather, you all get a laser update instead :D . (ive included a pic of the helm with a little work done on it.) The gods seem to be conspiring against me as i try to finish for haloween all they let me do is work inside, lots of rain and about 300% humidity, and i had to take an SAT on the only nice day i had (blue skies and cool dry air.) Oh well, on to the update!

IMG_0231.jpg

LOTS of layers here. 12 layers so far and only just over a third of its overall width.

IMG_0233.jpg

My pride and joy. Got the visor removed, and a bit more smoothing done.

IMG_0234.jpg

And heres a pic to size everything up.

And seeming as i have a few interested in making one of these for themselves. If enough people want them, ill scan each page of my blueprint for yall and put out the sizes i calculated.

Quick edit: any ideas for attaching them together or smoothing edges is appreciated. Current plan includes fiberglass resin for glue and glassing for a couple layers for strenght, then bondo like hell on the edges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back