Spartan0700 reporting for duty!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan0700

Hello, this is Spartan0700; since this is a community of people who see each others faces and creations, I feel comfortable to l let you know my preferred name is Dack...
...yeah, like that guy that died in Star Wars... :/
It's a long story.
My apologies if I'm stepping out of protocol, but I just read the "Introduce Yourself" thread in its 400+ page glory and I'm figuring nobody will probably see my introduction, so I'm going to make some waves.
So, why am I here? Well, I have to tell you, I've been seeing a lot of Halo-tastic cosplays around the web recently. After seeing the Halo 4 suit, I decided, “God, I need a set of Halo armor!” So I did some searches to see if I could get a price tag on an amazing suit of armor, something with lights and detail painted with a can of epicsauce. While I imagine it would cost me nothing short of my left Albertson, I couldn't find ANYONE who was selling except Amazon and that repulsive factory-made Halloween costume that came out several years ago.
The more I searched, the spazzier I became until I was burning with envy and jealousy at those (meaning most of you) lucky and talented do-it-them-self-er's with their LED lights and their ARMOR!
And their smartphone docks. PUH!
So, what did I decide to do? Make my own d*mn set of armor!!!
The instant I thought that, I was all like, "No way. You're stupid, YOU'RE INSANE! You're going to put high expectations of yourself and you're going to fail miserably and never want to try anything new again."
After considering that, I sat up and with a smile, said. "Okay, let's do it!" The rest of the evening I was bouncing off the walls, ready to get my hands dirty.
Browsing YouTube for tips and tutorials, I came across a truly amazing piece of software called Pepakura, bought some cardstock, downloaded the 405th armor package and started to tinker around, get a feel for my tools, learn what I was getting into.
That was the day before yesterday; yesterday, I started to cut and paste my first suit of MJOLNIR Mark VI armor! I successfully built the first piece of my armor in the form of: (drumroll please) the left gauntlet. (In LD, no less.) I tried to build it in HD the day before, but all the corners and small bits induced a brain hemorrhage that left me crawling back to my computer defeated, begging my printer to give me a Low-Def model.

As far as experience goes with physical arts and crafts, I admit, I haven't a lot of it. However, as a child, my mom would get me involved in a lot of projects with paper mache', woodwork stuffs and of course, she bought me a lot of Legos. When I was about twelve, I made an MA5B Assault Rifle out of wood, duct tape, electric tape and whatever else made it look good to me. It even had a flashlight installed in it!
Fortunately, there is no longer any proof of this creation; while it was good work for a kid, you would probably all laugh at it. XD
So, I do have A LITTLE experience with building things, and I have the enthusiasm and the heart, more importantly, the motivation to do it. So I'm going to give it a shot. We can only start somewhere! The creation of an account on this site serves as a failsafe in case I lose heart or become discouraged. Someday, after the satisfaction of building a full set of armor from paper settles in, I may tackle the HD designs, but I found out the hard way it was not on my first try (and that was just the gauntlet! Sheesh!). What I will do on my first try, however, is try my best to turn an LD into an HD.
I don't want to sound like a braggart, let's just say I have a goal to think outside the box and to make my first suit of armor look like my second or third. Everyone has that goal when they start out, I know, but I have two things many people don't have: the lack of a life and plenty of time to kill. I am my own harshest critic, so if I don't like how something turns out, I will not hesitate in throwing it out and doing it over and over again until I get it the way I want it. I'm going to do it right by my eyes, or I'm going to do it right! (I can't not do it at all, because I just made an account on the 405th and am passing a mad rant as a detailed introduction...)
I may gripe a bit about having to cut everything out again, but once I start something, I do not like to give up. If you don’t believe me, I’ll tell you that I’ve been trying to write a novel for four years, and despite all the restarts, resets, changes in plot and characters, I’m still fighting to write it down.
Perhaps not the most healthiest hobby… but you got to give me credit with my will to put all that stubborn energy into new endeavors.

For the next month or two, I’m going to be spending as many days as possible in my garage to build this thing. Needless to say, I am SUPER excited and absolutely SHOCKED that I have the gall to take something like this on. Like everyone here (I assume), I love Halo; the story, the feel, the design, Marty’s music. Really, the only multiplayer game I ever play (the only one I’m ever GOOD at) is Halo: Reach. I loved the upgraded armor customization. What I want to do with my Mark VI is give it the Reach treatment, then give it MY treatment. My goals for my first suit may be jumping the gun a bit, so I won’t be specific in fear that I might jinx myself…

So, that’s a lot of words!
I think I’ve said enough right now, like I said, I hope I’m not out-of-line by making a new post to introduce myself, but I watched a YouTube video yesterday telling Noobs what to do when they sign up, and a whole lot of emphasis was made on INTRODUCING oneself with their FIRST post, using an amusing metaphor describing this site as a room full of people. I have not come here for help or to bug the hell out of people, asking “WHATDOIDO? WHATDOIDO?” Instead, I just want a place to share my progress and receive constructive criticism and moreover, encouragement. Like I said, this is a new and scary thing for me; I’m one of those people who are so afraid of failure that I don’t even bother trying new things. That said, I’m my own harshest critic, so anything I post here photographically will be heavily scrutinized by the creator of the subject. Me.
I’m not a big blogger and I’m such a forum noob that I can’t figure out how to add a profile picture, but I’ll be sure to chime in on things that catch my attention. Like I said, I’m here more in search of an outlet to share my works, however disappointing or surprisingly good they turn out to be.

I’m looking forward to sharing my product with the world, I’m especially looking forward to painting and detailing it, not to mention putting my own flair into it. But, patience is a virtue, especially with time-consuming crafts. All I gotta do is restrain myself, put care and love into every piece and overall, enjoy the moment.

For now, this is Spartan0700, signing off…
(P.S. Thank-you for not taking my name!)

Welcome aboard and I look forward to what you have to build. Feel free to ask for help if you get stuck and I'll do what I can to help.

There is a thread specifically for introducing yourself. If everyone made a thread for themselves this sit would be overflowing with "Hey, new here" threads.

Also, it is against the rules to post a thread without having pictures of your work in progress, or WIP. A mod will most likely lock this thread if you can't show proof of work/concept.

None the less, welcome to the 405th, shoot me a pm if you have any questions, I know building your first armor can be kind of intimidating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back