Spartan164Ant's Build COMPLETE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's some progress on the Mark V build. So I scaled this to my head size but I think something went wrong. This is definitely far too big. I scaled ear to ear, did I do this wrong?
View attachment 270195

You might have the setting wrong. Inches vs Centimeters........you put in a centimeter number when its set to inches and the size will be way off. The piece is way too big for your head.

That scale is probably double what you need, almost. Helmets are always tricky. Unless of course, you're Dirtdives! XP

In Pepakura designer there are dimension lines you can use to roughly gauge how wide/ tall/ long a piece will be; I'd recommend trying again, but probably 60% scale that you currently have.

EDIT: dagnabbit, dirtdives beat me to it!

Thanks for the tips guys. I did a bit of research yesterday and I think I may have it figured out. I have no idea why this scaled so badly when my recon one is practically perfect for my head. Speaking of which I did a bit of modifying yesterday and got rid some of the scabby parts of the helmet. I have bought some mirror like spray that should turn up tomorrow so I can stick the visor in. Not all is lost with the recon helmet. Aside from the obvious warping. IMG-20190523-WA0005.jpeg

I have indeed installed a visor into my recon helmet. However there is atleast a 1cm gap at the bottom. Do I keep it for ventilation or is it better that I cover it up?
View attachment 270347

You're not going to get much in the way of ventilation from these little gaps. best to install a fan and seal up those gaps.

The problem w/ using plumbers putty is that it's designed to stay moist. That is the way it keeps its seal. so that is out.

Both caulk or a putty filler that hardens will work. Depends on what you have on hand or comfortable working with.

Without knowing how exactly you scaled it, then it's hard to say where you went wrong. Did you measure your head width using two books? Did you put that measurement in to the widest part of the opening? Pep openings are often designed to be cut away.

I'd suggest watching this video for your next attempt. I found it helpful when doing mine. (Watch part 1 and 2)

Thanks for the tip Duke, I actually figured this out a few days ago and I have actually put some progress on the thread of the smaller helmet. I originally used the ear to ear method hence why it was so big. I then used top of my head to bottom of my head to create the new one and it is a lot better.

Just a quick one. My Mark V is almost ready for resin (will post updates later), is it possible to fit the visor before body filler or is it worth fitting it after. If so what would I use to cover the visor to avoid rogue spray paint or filler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back