Special Effects Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sinjinsmiley said:
I'll leave the redistribution to gbscout but the non-video displaying sounds like a codec problem so I would check you have the necessary ones installed.

I use this which tends to solve all my codec problems before they appear ;)

i used the latest vertion of divx probably updated a couple weeks ago. ill have a go at Youtube this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW im quite willing to spend a little time on editing up film taken by anybody. Most formats will be ok to edit or convert as long as there not too long.

Id say about 30 seconds at the most at the moment so there not too big.

The offer is there.

;)

gbscout said:
i used the latest vertion of divx probably updated a couple weeks ago. ill have a go at Youtube this weekend.
no need....I saw the video it was awsome, congrats man! And thanks Sinjismiley. How did you do the shell ejection? In fx lab do they have all the effect tabs to drop in?

I rendered the shells in another program (they were a bit lo-res can do better) then imported.

Cant wait to get my armour dome to do some filming. :p

gbscout said:
BTW im quite willing to spend a little time on editing up film taken by anybody. Most formats will be ok to edit or convert as long as there not too long.

Id say about 30 seconds at the most at the moment so there not too big.

The offer is there.

;)

I'll try to get you some footage. Don't expect anything real soon, though. Cast and crew is on a shortage right now... I'll see what I can do.

colmon_9 said:
Does anyone know where to get Aftereffects for a non outrageous price?
You can download a 30 day free trial from the Adobe wesite. I think you can also get a discount if your a student but I'm not sure. I'm probably just going to buy something cheap like Vegas Movie Studio or EffectsLab.

I'm getting FX Lab for my birthday, downloaded the demo yesterday. I have one problem though. I don't have a FireWire port on my comp so I have to port it through iMovie on another computer. But then I can't get that video file over onto my regular computer, I have to compress it big-time and send it over the web.

So does anyone know of a way I can get my video straight onto the computer I'll be using (I'm buying a laptop, was thinking of a Dell Vostro)?

Rid3r said:
I'm getting FX Lab for my birthday, downloaded the demo yesterday. I have one problem though. I don't have a FireWire port on my comp so I have to port it through iMovie on another computer. But then I can't get that video file over onto my regular computer, I have to compress it big-time and send it over the web.

So does anyone know of a way I can get my video straight onto the computer I'll be using (I'm buying a laptop, was thinking of a Dell Vostro)?

USB Memory sticks work wonders.

Yeah, I'll have to buy one, the one I have doesn't have any power and my dad's (the one that works) is corrupted.

Thanks this is very good. I am going to use these in my movie

damasterchief- You must have a form of editing software that can green screen or compile backgrounds.

Rid3r said:

Go for ethernet. EVERY pc hat a 10/100 MBit ethernet port. you can get cables (crosslink cables, different from normal ethernet cables) with which you can connect two PCs. and ethernet is very fast, faster than teh internet for normal users.

I looked around and I guess this is the only place to post this. If you're looking for good smoke effects, I have a great smoke bomb that makes fantastic amounts of smoke, perfect for that fog of war style look, plus its rather easy to make.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8KD5Z-I7G0...feature=related

It was originally made by one of my friends and he has done a TON of great pyrotechnic work, it produces a high volume of smoke with little to no flame. This is from Mastermind of Pyrosummit.com, great guy with a ton of skill.

----Directions-----

Needed:

Potassium Nitrate (Spectracide brand Stump Remover is best)
Sugar
Paraffin

Fuse
Scale
Pan
Bowl
Stove
Spoon
Foil
Tape (Electric works well)

Step 1.
Measure 60g Potassium Nitrate and 40g Sugar. Mix together and set aside.

Step 2.
Place pan on stove at HIGH heat. Place 40g wax into pan.
It will melt quickly so remove from heat when wax has clarified.

Step 3.
Away from heat SLOWLY add powdered mixture to wax. Mix well making sure the different chemicals are evenly distributed.

Step 4.
With foil make a small bowl. Drain excess wax off of mix into the original bowl. Repeat until mixture is a loose slurry. Put slurry into the foil bowl before hardning takes place.

Step 5.
As wax cools it will still be fairly malliable. When mostly hardened wrap in layer of foil and mold into a ball. Insert length of fuse (make sure fuse crosses the entire circumfrence of the ball).

Step 6.
Wrap in 8 - 10 more layers of foil keeping fuse accessible. Compact tighly

Step 7.
Wrap entire ball in electric tape to hold foil in place.

Step 8.
Place smokebomb in fridge or freezer for 10-20 minutes to ensure hardend state.

Step 9.
Enjoy.

(If incorrectly made it runs the risk of superheating the wax. Always place away from flammable objects.)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this somehow violates a rule, please remove it. I would highly recommend if you do try this, that you get a scientific scale to measure the amounts.

If you would like more special effects style things I can post a lot more things, from blood and fake bullets all the way up to Sugar glass and break away bottles. Including a few things I've been working on by myself.

I might also do a few videos on special effects makeup if anyone is interested.

(Not bad for a first post)

be careful with sodium nitrate... It is highly sensative.... it reacts very badly to florecent and natural light and water to...

Thats why I don't use sodium nitrate, thats about suicidal. Its potassium nitrate. KNO3, not NANO3. Sodium nitrate reacts with air more readily than Potassium nitrate. KNO3 needs a catalyst to tip the reaction. For the most part KNO3 is relatively stable, not enough that you can be careless but enough to be relatively safe to handle. Its available at most hardware stores as Stump remover.

genericname said:
Thats why I don't use sodium nitrate, thats about suicidal. Its potassium nitrate. KNO3, not NANO3. Sodium nitrate reacts with air more readily than Potassium nitrate. KNO3 needs a catalyst to tip the reaction. For the most part KNO3 is relatively stable, not enough that you can be careless but enough to be relatively safe to handle. Its available at most hardware stores as Stump remover.

Whoops I must have had to many beers....root

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back