Special Effects Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
genericname said:
I looked around and I guess this is the only place to post this. If you're looking for good smoke effects, I have a great smoke bomb that makes fantastic amounts of smoke, perfect for that fog of war style look, plus its rather easy to make.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8KD5Z-I7G0...feature=related

It was originally made by one of my friends and he has done a TON of great pyrotechnic work, it produces a high volume of smoke with little to no flame. This is from Mastermind of Pyrosummit.com, great guy with a ton of skill.

----Directions-----

Needed:

Potassium Nitrate (Spectracide brand Stump Remover is best)
Sugar
Paraffin

Fuse
Scale
Pan
Bowl
Stove
Spoon
Foil
Tape (Electric works well)

Step 1.
Measure 60g Potassium Nitrate and 40g Sugar. Mix together and set aside.

Step 2.
Place pan on stove at HIGH heat. Place 40g wax into pan.
It will melt quickly so remove from heat when wax has clarified.

Step 3.
Away from heat SLOWLY add powdered mixture to wax. Mix well making sure the different chemicals are evenly distributed.

Step 4.
With foil make a small bowl. Drain excess wax off of mix into the original bowl. Repeat until mixture is a loose slurry. Put slurry into the foil bowl before hardning takes place.

Step 5.
As wax cools it will still be fairly malliable. When mostly hardened wrap in layer of foil and mold into a ball. Insert length of fuse (make sure fuse crosses the entire circumfrence of the ball).

Step 6.
Wrap in 8 - 10 more layers of foil keeping fuse accessible. Compact tighly

Step 7.
Wrap entire ball in electric tape to hold foil in place.

Step 8.
Place smokebomb in fridge or freezer for 10-20 minutes to ensure hardend state.

Step 9.
Enjoy.

(If incorrectly made it runs the risk of superheating the wax. Always place away from flammable objects.)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this somehow violates a rule, please remove it. I would highly recommend if you do try this, that you get a scientific scale to measure the amounts.

If you would like more special effects style things I can post a lot more things, from blood and fake bullets all the way up to Sugar glass and break away bottles. Including a few things I've been working on by myself.

I might also do a few videos on special effects makeup if anyone is interested.

(Not bad for a first post)

My friend did it and is oven caught fire. Never use such materials.

Last edited by a moderator:
well at least no ones posted the links to the "make your own" flamethrower... seriously bad idea

Your friend probably did it wrong at step 3, the most difficult part is not adding the ingredients too quickly, or if he didn't use a scientific balance and just used rough estimates he had a higher risk of unbalancing the reaction and creating an unstable reaction.

Hey, names Kuma, I currently know how to do a great deal of the stuff that Adam's links show you how to do and more. I have all the programs and the files and such, and I've been doing this for a while now. I have a video demonstration to show you a very basic special effects video I did. I'll post the two different qualities so that you can enjoy them both. I have my own little productions thing, Kuro Kuma Productions. Like I said, I know a lot more than what's shown in just those links. I learned a good deal of my stuff from www.videocopilot.net but I've also developed a few effects myself. I'm currently trying to recreate the portal effect from the game Portal. Here is that video clip I had mentioned earlier.

I would normally just post the video itself, however I'm doing a quick reply right now and I don't exactly know the codes off the top of my head.
Lower quality version which includes the before and after: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmD-ejzIPGY
Higher quality version, only includes the after: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSTAomO4218

My actor is of course Crackhead09 he now has a famous quote among all of us at school, a line that he came up with the day we flimed this, "Why do I have to get shot?"

KuroKuma22 said:
I'm actually just curious if anyone happen to look at my video yet?

pretty good :D One of the tuts at Video Copilot ;) I think the flash is a tad too short but maybe its just cause the way the pistol is placed

Is it a custom muzzle flash or ones pre-made already by Video Copilot?

imMonkeyGOD said:
pretty good :D One of the tuts at Video Copilot ;) I think the flash is a tad too short but maybe its just cause the way the pistol is placed

Is it a custom muzzle flash or ones pre-made already by Video Copilot?

In that video there the pre-made ones, but that was the first time I'd ever put any effects to live action, I do only original muzzle flashes now. I use a lot of the blood from the product, but I'm actually gonna start creating my own blood splatters. I think the only thing I'll be using by the end of it all is his blood splatters where the point of impact actually is, and his film grains. Granted I might use some other plugins for title screens and such.

lionheart912 said:
You guys might have navigated here from detonationfims, but a great site for general DIY movie making:
Indy Mogul

i subscribed to indy mogul. they tell you alot of good movie making stuff. like how to make rain fit for movies.

Arbiter452 said:
i subscribed to indy mogul. they tell you alot of good movie making stuff. like how to make rain fit for movies.
Indy Mogul is pretty good, Backyard FX I believe it's called ><

gbscout said:
Dudes,

ive done this short clip in FXlab. Muzzle flare, smoke and sgell ejection.

http://www.cabbagestudios.co.uk/vids/smalltest.avi

took about 20 mins to put together but faster after preactice. Nice software but not too pricy.

LMK your thoughts.
Hey man that's pretty cool :D one suggestion would be to a little brightness to the flash and some lighting on the walls and stuff. Other than that, that was really good and I liked it :D

I really like the detonation films stuff, They might look bad in the previews, but this is what they can look like if you work hard at putting them in

lionheart912 said:
You can download a 30 day free trial from the Adobe wesite. I think you can also get a discount if your a student but I'm not sure. I'm probably just going to buy something cheap like Vegas Movie Studio or EffectsLab.

$350 for a student. Just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back