Specter's Pepakura Recon Helmet Progress Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Specter

Okay everybody, I recently got started on a Recon helm. First piece of Halo armor I've worked on so far.

Here it is so far.

29m0ykk.jpg

23iid53.jpg

And for a bonus, I slapped this Ironman together as a test dummy for glassing before I take on the Recon. No ears/back of the head yet, need to find some cardboard or something to space out the pieces first. But there's that too.

2h84ohv.jpg

1z6v8so.jpg

Sorry for the large images.

Well i'd suggest putting it on the inside because if your using a dremel those lumps will heat up and melt again if you dig too deep through your resin in the end. Just a hit. But for a first it is coming along amazingly. Keep up the good work. But if using a dremel be carful with those excess spots on the outside.

tristangore said:
Well i'd suggest putting it on the inside because if your using a dremel those lumps will heat up and melt again if you dig too deep through your resin in the end. Just a hit. But for a first it is coming along amazingly. Keep up the good work. But if using a dremel be carful with those excess spots on the outside.

Wow, yeah. I did some of the flaps on the inside too-- I'll go back and do the rest of them.

I'm just taking a first stab at this, and the plan from here out was to layer up some resin or bondo glass and then a top skim coat of bondo. Is that what I should be doing? Or is there a better way to finish pepakura parts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I haven't had much experience but I wouldn't put bondo AND bondo glass both. It might mess somethig up.

What I would do is.

First stage:

Resin the outside 2x

once dry

Resin inside 1x (just pour it in and slush around)

Second stage:

Fiberglass (or short strand fiberglass putty, what ever strengthening product you wish to use)

either use atleast 2x layers with cloth, or 1 layer with mat

Inbetween the layers of fiberglass, dremel out large airpockets or burrs as it will give even LARGER airpocks on the 2nd pass with the fiberglass.

Third stage:

Sand the resin on the outside so you get rid of the large lumps of resin that dried funky,

Apply bondo (or rondo), sand, bondo(rondo), sand, bondo(rondo), sand.

Then you're ready to paint :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back