Spitzkitz' Halo: Reach Modeling Quest

Status
Not open for further replies.

spitzkitz

Hey everyone! I have been steadily working to redesign/revamp some assets specifically for use 3D printing, though my first steps are generally to make them higher-resolution (if you know anything about video game models, you know that all the pretty details ARE LIES) so technically they could be used for renders as well, if you like that sort of thing.

I'll be updating this thread (and likely this post) as time goes on depending on what projects I am working on, as well as some tips and tricks I've found during my workflow to produce some quality models.

For the sake of search terms, I like to use Blender and SOLIDWORKS. Feel free to post questions and advice in here as well, especially if you see something I am doing wrong lol

Current works:
M319 Individual Grenade Launcher
Mark V [B] Helmet
Armor Ability Unit
Re-Entry Pack

Finished:
AKIS Helmet w/ Attachments
Tactical/UGPS
M6G Magnum (2546)

Last edited:
Here's a sneak peek at what I've got going on right now in terms of the grenade launcher.

So far I've already added a lot of minute details to the model and now I've moved onto the "3D-printify" pass, which includes aligning pieces so that they can move and print properly (hinges, creating flat faces for ease of printing, separating small details into individual pieces so they can be painted separately, etc.)

Here's a look!
1616268873452.png

1616269005888.png

1616269085036.png

I notice a distinct lack of.... printable armor ability files.

Now I will completely neglect all other responsibilities and I am powering away at this now! This is super super early on so hopefully I can highlight my progress through this.
1616281418622.png

Ok guys, emergency update, just wanted to point out how cursed this is.
The armor ability model has a removable drawer. What.
1616283642876.png

Do I model this in the real one? Do I omit it? I have no idea. But I needed to share.

Thats really odd but interesting. Ive played with the idea of making similar pockets or cavities but I never had enough space. That model would only be maybe 20cm long or so it fits on the small of your back. It'd be neat if you hollowed that tray out to fit stuff but I'm not sure what you could fit in a 8x10cm space other then spare batteries or small tools.

Last edited:
Thats really odd but interesting. Ive played with the idea of making similar pockets or cavities but I never had enough space. That model would only be maybe 20cm long or so it fits on the small of your back. It'd be neat if you hollowed that tray out to fit stuff but I'm not sure what you could fit in a 8x10cm space other then spare batteries or small tools.
Yeah, exactly. Like, it could be neat so it's "100% accurate" to the in-game model, or maybe for photoshoots or something, but like... is that much additional effort worth it? I'll have to keep deciding.

Yeah, exactly. Like, it could be neat so it's "100% accurate" to the in-game model, or maybe for photoshoots or something, but like... is that much additional effort worth it? I'll have to keep deciding.

If that model is ripped from Reach, I wonder if armor abilities were meant to be reloaded with that little tray thing rather than recharge over time. So much got cut from previous Halo games I wonder if its something Bungie intended to implement but again, couldn't add due to time constraints.

I'll take my tin foil hat off now.

If that model is ripped from Reach, I wonder if armor abilities were meant to be reloaded with that little tray thing rather than recharge over time. So much got cut from previous Halo games I wonder if its something Bungie intended to implement but again, couldn't add due to time constraints.

I'll take my tin foil hat off now.
It's possible! There's actually more removable pieces, and they're fully modeled, too.

Pic time!
1616435068072.png

I'm sure some of you may have seen my AKIS/GRD helmet previously.
Well, if you haven't, no concern-- I am redoing the entire thing, it turns out. Yep, that's right, more procrastination.
I think I've gotten better at 3D modeling so I'm using the techniques I've picked up through trial and error to make this look really nice.

Some things I am going to utilize this time around:
  • tris to quads
    • very helpful for keeping flat faces flat and making the mesh more readable, especially for editing
    • probs dont set over 40deg
  • selecting a part of an object, then using "select boundary loop" and then creasing the edges with Shift+E. This lets the object look a little cleaner on some isolated parts , especially if the faces are intended to be flat or "separate".
    • This is intended for use with subdivision
  • SUBDIVIDE SUBDIVIDE SUBDIVIDE SUBDIVIDE
    • no really, elevates every model to the next level!
    • Shortcut for this is (ctrl+ #) where # is a number key for the level. dont go over 4 unless you're insane.
  • separate objects that may contain unusual geometry in order to make hollowing out a more cohesive process
    • youll notice this on the AKIS helmet that the vents are separate objects and will be handled separately
  • Edge slide/Vertex slide is OP
    • Allows you to shift edges and vertices along a face so the geometry doesn't change but you can easier make and modify objects to add or remove detail.
    • Shift+V
  • Extrude Manifold and Along Face Normals
    • Lets you extrude objects not just outward in a weird shape but can let you extrude curved objects more naturally. give it a shot!
    • Alt+E
Hope this can help some of ya!

IT'S DONE!!!
AKIS Helmet with the CBRN attachment is complete. It is kinda jank because modeling the attachment was rough but it basically works fine. I'll be offering this model to also be printable without the attachment if you're into that sort of thing. The camera is also removable if you wanna put a GoPro or something in there, idk, be my guest lol

1616786500341.png

Just realized that I never posted my work on the Tactical/UGPS!

1618116591369.png

200px-HR-wrist-UGPS.png

This is designed to be as accurate as possible to the in-game model, except for the fact that it has a huge hollow cavity in it. Throw whatever you want in there!
It also has the added benefit to fit perfectly over MoeSizzlac 's free forearm model! Keep in mind you're going to want to scale this with the same scale you applied to your forearm models if you use it, since I simply applied a boolean modifier to the plain 100% uniform scale model.

Going to try printing this now too, so keep an eye out on my other thread!

Looks great! Are you going to finally try out that PLA+ on printing it? Haha

It's that time again!
Here is the default reach helmet, Mark V [B]
1619556069476.png

In terms of progress, I still need to add a few more detail spots and adapt it for 3D printing since right now its still pretty meh

And of course, lots of details and such interpreted from the texture of the in-game helmet along with some smexy subdividing. Do I finish it? IDK. But it's something.

Surprise! Here is an unexpected Halo: Reach magnum. Why? Because I wanted to be magnum buddies with tahu505 ;p

1620270891877.png

It's basically ready for printing, too! Might try and hollow some bits out for LEDs or something, but I'm not sure.

If I want the parts to move it will take some more effort for sure, but for now it's pretty good. What do you guys think?

EDIT:
and a first-person view, too.
1620271263286.png

Surprise! Here is an unexpected Halo: Reach magnum. Why? Because I wanted to be magnum buddies with tahu505 ;p

View attachment 305891

It's basically ready for printing, too! Might try and hollow some bits out for LEDs or something, but I'm not sure.

If I want the parts to move it will take some more effort for sure, but for now it's pretty good. What do you guys think?

EDIT:
and a first-person view, too.
View attachment 305892
Magnum buds!

Just realized I forgot some detail, and in the meantime I decided to go ahead and make it printable AND have moving parts (basically just needed some small tolerances on whatever I already made, etc.) so yeah!!

1620292253212.png

Here it is in its chunky glory :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back