Stale air in helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedGhost

Hello everyone! There's something I'm quite concerned about and prevented me from putting on my helmet for longer durations during last year's convention. Namely, it's the problem of fresh air. Just for clarification, I'm talking about the ODST helmet. I installed a 12v standard size pc fan on the top of my helmet, pictured here:
or1vnsb-jpg.jpg

It runs great and blows quite a bit of air right on my face, There's no fogging either but I didn't really sweat so I guess I didn't stress test that factor enough. However, I'm concerned that the fan is recycling the air over and over again, especially since the only real way for new air to go in and old air to go out is the chin-area seen in the bottom of my picture. Furthermore, I wear a shemagh (a sort of scarf) around my neck further restricting airflow for that part. You can see it right here:
J4DWv2G.jpg

Is chocking or dying because of too little air a real concern? What can I reasonably do about it? I'm already working sketches for a better ventilation system where two rotary fans pull air from my neck to the forehead but with such long conduits, the air pressure and resistance will be so high that I'm afraid it won't make any difference anyway.

Furthermore, IF chocking is a concern, what are signs to look out for? I've done my own research on this part but surprisingly googling this brings up little to no information and whatever information I could find is either not trustworthy enough for me to let my life depend on it, or just contradictory with all the other information I could find.

AFAIK now you'll feel like you're being chocked, but other sources say it'll give you a euphoric sensation with loss of higher brain function quickly following behind.

Thanks in advice, you might just save a life :)

EDIT: Before you ask, drilling holes isn't really a possibility, sorry

Emt student with 2 years trooping in the 501st legion experience here: I honestly think you will be fine. But let’s err on the safe side and just mention some things that could happen some concerns to watch out for. My main one is heatstroke. This really is a person to person thing. I can be in a restrictive 3 layer canvas, silk, armor boba fett for 5+ hours while others need to vent their one layer Jedi after 1. I think it’s a person to person thing. How well do you regulate heat? Ask yourself that and keep good water on hand and get out of the helmet when you need to.

This is off of a Google search

Symptoms of Low Oxygen in Blood (Hypoxemia)

• Confusion.
  • A sense of euphoria.
  • Restlessness.
  • Headache.
  • Shortness of breath.
  • Rapid breathing.
  • Dizziness, lightheadedness and/or fainting spells.
  • Lack of coordination.
You've got a lot of padding in your helmet. That type of padding collects and retains the heat but even w/ all of that, choking or dying from wearing your helmet....I agree w/ Ghost Fett, I think you'll be fine. Now unless you find yourself GASPING for air.....common sense, take the helmet off.....remember the helmet isn't sealed around you head.....plenty of space for the air to get to you.

Thank you both guys, really helpful information and thanks for putting my concerns to rest :) I'll watch out for the signs. Luckily, heat isn't much of a problem from my experience in my helmet. If I go to hotter events of places, I might look into options like even more cooling or a cooling jacket, or just stack my backpack full with water bottles. At least I can wear my helmet comfortably now haha

There really isn't any issue with suffocating in your helmet, unless you made it WAY too small and it presses against your mouth or nose and prevents breathing. If you want to make small holes in little detail areas to help ventilate, you can add holes in the side detail thingies near either side of your chin.

One tip to prevent fogging up I learned at a training once is to take a small dab of "Irish Spring" body wash, the one without the tiny little bumps in it, and apply a very thin even coat over the inside. Don't glob it on, keep it super duper thin so you can still see through it, but that will prevent fogging up. Works on the bathroom mirror, as well.

......Nothing like a little air freshening smell in your helmet.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back