Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomRanger

DMO, Armory, and Forum Support
Division Staff
Community Staff
Member DIN
S063
I've started my first build, and started with the helmet since that's what I had. I basically just painted the prop helm that you can buy from a costume store and then added a bunch of tech to the inside of it. The Halo 4 helmet will have to do until I'm able to make my own Halo 3 helm, since that's gonna be the art style of my suit.

I've included before/after weathering photos.

Some details on the tech: I added a raspberry pi, HUD via wearable display, and stereo speakers to the inside with plans to add more functionality. Before you ask, this is the display I used https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HY18A9U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Let me know what you guys think.

More images can be found on my Google Photos Album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/5YusD9HPxjXTURcs7

IMG_20190122_230235.jpg
IMG_20190127_002748.jpg
IMG_20190127_002806.jpg
IMG_20190127_144334.jpg
MVIMG_20190127_164027.jpg

IMG_20190127_144339.jpg

Last edited:
What resolution does that display have, looks pretty neat! I found a wide-angle lens on a PiCam makes the view a bit more bearable.

What resolution does that display have, looks pretty neat! I found a wide-angle lens on a PiCam makes the view a bit more bearable.

The display is 720p (for this type of application I would've been ecstatic for 480p) and looks like a virtual 4" screen about a foot away, so a little smaller than a phone screen (or normal sized for older phones). It's admittedly difficult to read text as the display has to be positioned just right and it made taking the helm on/off much more difficult. But, for the added benefit of being able to interact with a computer without breaking suit immersion I consider it wholly worth it, especially once I write my own hud app and build my features in (nightvision, mini map, and voice comms anyone?).

The display is 720p (for this type of application I would've been ecstatic for 480p) and looks like a virtual 4" screen about a foot away, so a little smaller than a phone screen (or normal sized for older phones). It's admittedly difficult to read text as the display has to be positioned just right and it made taking the helm on/off much more difficult. But, for the added benefit of being able to interact with a computer without breaking suit immersion I consider it wholly worth it, especially once I write my own hud app and build my features in (nightvision, mini map, and voice comms anyone?).

Sounds like a nifty bit of tech: something to look into for my mechs. For windows there's a program "rainmeter" that allows desktop widgets, with a less well documentent alternative for the pi. Pi would be more flexible cuz you can then use python scriptsnto get sensor data for things like compasses and virtual horizon balls

I picked up a nightvision cam too, but it looks like the Pi is being sassy as far as detecting it... and I need a way to mount it. But there's a hint at another upcoming feature.

If a piece ended up being too large (even after much fitting before cutting) would it be better to hold it up with a buckle, pad the inside to fit more snug, or both?

A combination of both? It depends on what part, really. Buckles work great, but they show or cause pressure points under the armor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back