Starting a Full Build(EVA Foam) - Any Tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakeodcotor15

So in a few weeks I'm going to began a full build and it will be the first Costume/Cosplay I'm personally making.

Any tips or tricks a newbie should know? I have talked a lot with a friend of mine who is big into both cosplay as well as LARPing and he has used EVA foam core for custom Armour and weapons so he's givin me a ton of tips for working with EVA foam core.

And this site as well as the RPF have so many templates and designs that are amazing but as I stated this will be my first foray into not only Armour making but full costume making.

Keep your blades SHARP. Patience. Start on a small piece first. Patience. If you've never done a XYZ cut before, make a couple of practice cuts on scrap first. Patience. Walk away from it for a day or two if you get frustrated.......did I mention patience?

There are some amazingly talented people here, tap into that knowledge when needed. Good luck and can't wait to see what you come up with.

YouTube evilted and published props. Andrew DFT also. Andrew doesn't work for movies, but Evil Ted has worked on costumes for star trek and a bunch of others, so while he's got great techniques, I like Ted's better. Ted cuts smoother, I think

I second the sharp blades. They need to be in a permanent state of surgical, lethal sharpness. A knife sharpener will do the trick. Cut with the whole length of the blade, keeping it angled low. Try to start cuts on the foam edge whenever possible.

I found I made a bit of a mess with my glue gun, making joins a bit blobby sometimes. I think some people use some sort of contact glue? Anyway, research that.

I also did my arms and legs by eyeballing the designs, and did my chest piece and helmet with pepakura templates. I really recommend using pep files as a basis, and learn how to resize them properly. Take a photo of your body part with a ruler next to it, and superimpose the armour on it (from a screenshot or whatever) at the correct size related to your body part. That's the easiest way I found to get the right resizing measurement to put into the pep viewer.

Kamui Cosplay is also a great resource.

Good luck!

Sharp knifes, use contact cement, applyto both surfaces and wait 6 min before touching them together. Work outside and wear a respirator. Don't give up and no matter how much you hate it, if you do, keep working and don't procrastinate for 3 years *cough cough* to finish that helmet *cough* and have fun. Watch videos, keep us updated, and don't get hung up on a little problem. Just do it, work with out, or try things out

Pretty much every important parts are here, but know this first, you are GOING to make mistakes. There is no getting around that on the first few builds.
Just 1. Be patient
2. Keep those blades sharp between every or every other cut
2.5. Add about .5 an inch to 1 inch to your cuts that you don’t have a template for or need to bevel, you can always cut more off, you can’t add it back on.
3. Use your mistakes to your advantage, if you cut something too angular replicate the cut on the other side and make it look like it was on purpose, you are a space marine and this is your armor, no one else’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back