Status
Not open for further replies.

Pebelo

Hi, I'm Pebelo and I'm currently beginning my halo cosplay journey. I've always been interested in cosplay but the mk7 cosplay guide 343i recently released got me really excited and made me want to make a suit of armor of my own.

I'm not good at working with foam, etc. so I'm planning on 3d printing my armor. I'm getting myself a 3d printer sometime this summer so I don't have to use the extremely expensive 3d printing services every time I want to work on a piece of the armor.

I know there's probably somebody working on 3d models of the armor already. But I think it's really important that I make my own models since I'm going to study game graphics production in college next year. I am currently working on the helmet. I still have a lot of work to do as you can see but I'm very happy with how it's turning out (visor is temporary to cover up the inside of the model).

Screenshot (556).png
Screenshot (557).png

I'll keep updating this thread every once in a while with my progress.

Any advice on 3d printing / which 3d printer to get would be highly appreciated!

Last edited:
update: I've been very busy lately, but now that school's over I have a lot more time to work on the armor.

I just finished the low poly shoulder plate and I'm going to work on the high poly version tomorrow.

Screenshot (563).png
Screenshot (561).png

edit: completed the high poly version. There are some weird imperfections in the mesh that were caused by the subdivision surface modifier in blender, but I'll be able to correct and sand those out after I print it.

Screenshot (564).png
Screenshot (566).png

Last edited:
The Ender 3 is a fantastic printer. That’s a great choice for an armor build, although you’ll have to assemble the printer! Be sure to thoroughly research printer settings and buy sturdy filament. If you’d like to add an accessory to your printer, consider a glass bed for it. It will level the area that you print in and also provide smooth bottoms on your print. Can’t wait to see more progress!

update: The high poly helmet is pretty much done. I just have a little bit more work to do to prepare it for printing.
To make it a bit easier to put on, i'm planning on splitting the helmet up in 2 parts as shown in the last picture.

Also, my printer finally arrived! I'll post an update as soon as the helmet has been printed out.

Screenshot (653).png
Screenshot (657).png

Screenshot (658).png
Screenshot (659).png

I've always been a huge fan of 3d models that come in separate pieces like that, I've wanted to try and use different Filaments for different pieces.
For example when you have the issue of your head not fitting inside the hole for the helmet you could print that hole with something like NinjaFlex to allow some give where it needs to be.
This print looks really solid and you haven't even started filling yet, it also looks HEAVY which I personally love. I've got an Ender 3 Max but I'm way too much of a coward to print anything that takes longer than a day since i JUST got it printing pieces that actually resemble what I put onto the SD cards and not a load monochrome Spaghetti and Meatballs.

I've always been a huge fan of 3d models that come in separate pieces like that, I've wanted to try and use different Filaments for different pieces.
For example when you have the issue of your head not fitting inside the hole for the helmet you could print that hole with something like NinjaFlex to allow some give where it needs to be.
This print looks really solid and you haven't even started filling yet, it also looks HEAVY which I personally love. I've got an Ender 3 Max but I'm way too much of a coward to print anything that takes longer than a day since i JUST got it printing pieces that actually resemble what I put onto the SD cards and not a load monochrome Spaghetti and Meatballs.
Some ninjaflex parts would've been really handy since it's currently impossible to put on. I will probably have to cut off the top half and make it reattach via magnets like the face plate.

And yeah, It is indeed pretty heavy, around 800 grams. Luckily my Ender 3 hasn't decided to cook any spaghetti yet so I was able to print all the parts with just 1 roll of filament.

Some ninjaflex parts would've been really handy since it's currently impossible to put on. I will probably have to cut off the top half and make it reattach via magnets like the face plate.

And yeah, It is indeed pretty heavy, around 800 grams. Luckily my Ender 3 hasn't decided to cook any spaghetti yet so I was able to print all the parts with just 1 roll of filament.
How tight is the tolerance? If you took a dremmel to the inside lip of it and carved it out would you be able to fit your head in? I had to do that with a master chief helmet I made a while back.

The issue I run into is that whenever I make the helmet big enough to fit my head through the hole, the helmet size itself feels too big, like a bobble head. It’s a strange ratio that I never seem to be able to get right.

My current ODST I’m working on won’t fit but if I grind down the edges it’ll fit. It the **** out of my ears, but it fits.

im going to replace that bottom few inches with some foam/foam clay to make a more positive seal while being flexible enough to fit my head in.

good luck though my dude, I look forward to how you solve the problem.

How tight is the tolerance? If you took a dremmel to the inside lip of it and carved it out would you be able to fit your head in? I had to do that with a master chief helmet I made a while back.

The issue I run into is that whenever I make the helmet big enough to fit my head through the hole, the helmet size itself feels too big, like a bobble head. It’s a strange ratio that I never seem to be able to get right.

My current ODST I’m working on won’t fit but if I grind down the edges it’ll fit. It the **** out of my ears, but it fits.

im going to replace that bottom few inches with some foam/foam clay to make a more positive seal while being flexible enough to fit my head in.

good luck though my dude, I look forward to how you solve the problem.
I have a Huge head so yeah, it would look really goofy if I make it so my head fits through the hole on the bottom.

The way it's set up now is that the visor guard and the face plate (or mouth plate idk) are a separate piece that's attached to the main helmet via magnets.
So instead of putting it on like a traditional helmet, I need to slide it on my head from back to front, but that's impossible to do right now because those bits that jut out from the side vents poke into the back of my head and my ears. I could probably carve those areas out a bit but even then I don't know if there will be enough clearance.

I'll probably just cut the top half of the helmet off and make it reattach via magnets. That should work great but requires a lot more work.

Thanks, I'll post an update as soon as I've fixed the helmet but that'll take a while since i'm going on a trip for 2 weeks.

I'm excited to get into the preview later as well, although I have literally been trapped in my work place by a floor crew waxing the floors! Almost 3am but at least I got logged into Halo Waypoint finally XD

Thanks! Yeah I can't wait to paint it all up. I think i'm going to go for the scorpion punch coating but maybe I'll see another coating I'll like more during the technical preview today.View attachment 308400
There is another person on the 405th 3d printing a MK VII, and plans on painting it the Scorpion Punch. If you wish to appear different from his, recommend a different paint job.

There is another person on the 405th 3d printing a MK VII, and plans on painting it the Scorpion Punch. If you wish to appear different from his, recommend a different paint job.
Thanks for letting me know. There's definitely a couple other good coatings so I'll consider choosing another one.

Screenshot (672).png
Screenshot (676).png
Screenshot (677).png

Screenshot (678).png
Screenshot (674).png

edit: I messed around with the colors of my helmet model a bit and this is most likely going to be my paint scheme. It's not final yet though and some colors may change.

Screenshot (686).png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back