Starting off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relik929

I've been contemplating making my own set of armor for a while and have gone back and forth. I found this group and figured I might actually do it now that I've found a community and if there's others near me.
Obviously there's time restraints to joining at different levels but is there a group on Long Island? To talk, ask for advice, ect. Possibly see how this all works to see how involved I wanna get and can get.

Y’all? Dude, you live in Long Island not the Deep South. Unless you are from there in which case y’all away. As for Discord, yes that is one of the many methods of communicating with a group of people. Others that have people that live near by have build parties. You just need to become friendly with a bunch of people and take it from there.

Y’all? Dude, you live in Long Island not the Deep South. Unless you are from there in which case y’all away. As for Discord, yes that is one of the many methods of communicating with a group of people. Others that have people that live near by have build parties. You just need to become friendly with a bunch of people and take it from there.
Half of my family if from Arizona and I'm out there often. Abit if my vocabulary is reflective of that. Lol. Friends all give me a hard time. And awesome. Thanks

Well, not sure how many members are in LI or how many active (which is the key point here)......but you have 1 Brooklyn-ite here (me) and I'm on all the time.

Regardless of how far or close, if you build a repor with people, distance is irrelevant. Read, involve yourself, comment, compliment but be nice. Otherwise Fangs will come down on you with her wet noodle. You don’t want that.

Regardless of how far or close, if you build a repor with people, distance is irrelevant. Read, involve yourself, comment, compliment but be nice. Otherwise Fangs will come down on you with her wet noodle. You don’t want that.

Second. About both the camaraderie and the wet noodle! Dirtdives and others have all begun helpful to me while I have tried making my first foam suit, and their knowledge and experience has proved invaluable. It's not anything close to face-to-face, but it is a very good resource to have.

I am still figuring that out. But just material, if you're using eva foam, you can pick up some from harbor freight for like, 4 for $8. I'd say somewhere around $20-30. But you'll also need knives and knife sharpener, and contact cement, so you will end up spending more than that.

I haven't used fiberglass for a long time, I couldn't give you an accurate estimate, but it would be much more expensive.

Dirtdives and others have all begun helpful to me while I have tried making my first foam suit

We're also working on Sean Anwalt English as well. He's got the spelling OK for now, but still needs help w/ this Grammar.....

On average. How much would y'all say it costs to make, per say, a full Spartan suit. Just material.

Don't forget about paint, fillers, accessories, visor, prop/weapon, and a bunch of other little things that just add up. An estimate: I would say you could get away w/ $250 +/- $50. Depends on how much detail you want in the end.

Also, instead of double posting.....1 post right after another....you could just edit your previous post and continue from there.

Hello Relik929! I see you've met our resident unofficial grammar and forum rules officer. Don't let it fool you - he is one of the nicest and most helpful members here. Add in the rest of the Derailer Crew and you've got yourself a wealth of helpful information and some of my favorite people around. They do get in to some shenanigans from time to time though and are the reason I have a wet noodle at all, so be forewarned. hehehe

I'd say that Dirtdives is pretty close on his guesstimate for costs. But everything depends on the materials you choose. Like anything, there are less expensive and more expensive versions of just about everything you'll need. But, less expensive sometimes comes with a larger cost in the end and sometimes the more expensive can be overkill and not worth it. So take your time and choose wisely! And keep in mind that you'll go through a lot of expendables like blades. A sharp blade is potentially the most important item next to quality EVA. I highly recommend buying some test EVA before buying enough for your whole project. I've managed to stumble across some that just didn't cut as nicely as others. Plus you want to take some time to get the feel for your cuts and build some muscle memory. I took a little course and we built a cube. Such a simple shape taught me all kinds of things like the importance for making sure the patterns are traced and cut out precisely, what it feels like to angle cut and the best method for gluing things together to get nice, tight seams.

Add in the rest of the Derailer Crew and you've got yourself a wealth of helpful information and some of my favorite people around. They do get in to some shenanigans from time to time though and are the reason I have a wet noodle at all, so be forewarned. hehehe

Is that our official title now?
... Derailer Crew....
I can live with that...
Maybe I should stencil that onto my ODST armour.

Actually, its Fireteam Off The Rails........ an ODST FOTR........:rolleyes:.

FANGS, thank you.......
giphy.gif
such kind words........

They do get in to some shenanigans from time to time though and are the reason I have a wet noodle at all

Utterly Fabulous Fangs Poems by the people she wants to hit with a wet noodle

A sharp blade is potentially the most important item next to quality EVA

I would add A sharp blade is potentially the most important item next to quality EVA.

Just remember to have fun with this. The things you learn while building a suit like this turn into real world skills that come in handy a lot, so really put some good effort into it. After a while it becomes a fun pastime you can do while watching television or listening to music or whatever your jam is.

Actually, its Fireteam Off The Rails........ an ODST FOTR........:rolleyes:.

FANGS, thank you.......View attachment 257947 such kind words........

Damn, I better take that "Fireteam Off the Rails" patch off the back of my armour.

Relik929 for cost of a "full" suit is going to differ from person to person based on the tools that they have on hand and what they define as full. For my current Spartan III in raw materials I've put about $500 Canadian into it (so like twenty bucks US) to have a full foam suit, fitted lights, fans, LED micro controllers, sound boards, 3D printed helmet and weapon props, a sewn body suit and a bunch of support equipment. I also spent about $1000 on tools to help with the build in the form of a larger format 3D printer to simplify my life in gap filling and a serger so that I could work quickly and efficiently with stretch fabrics for an under suit.

It does seem like a lot of money to throw down but if you look at it compared to hobbies like MTG or miniatures it's nothing. I'm also offsetting costs with commissions and people at conventions see props and yell "I WANT ONE OF THOSE" so it drums up business by just being rad and standing around wearing a costume that you put a lot of effort into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back