Starting on my First build and Need guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yarowish

Hey everyone, glad to be here. I'm currently debating with myself something very common for everyone I'm sure, foam or paper and resin and bondo and such. I'm planning to do a simple Mjolnir MKV build or something rather than diving into one of the less conventional or more complex armor sets. I watched some great videos from Spacemeat and was wondering something probably pretty obvious. With armor sets like the reach Mjolnir Mk V set there are two sets of PDOs, one normal, one for foam. In the foam PDOs have people already removed all the extraneous edges and pieces that the aren't needed due to the foam thickness? That seems to be obvious but the files look nearly identical so I wasn't sure if I'll still need to go through and remove edges and things I won't need for foam. I'm reading that 6mm foam is best but see others using much thicker pieces, any guidance is appreciated!

Welcome Yarowish to the 405th! Which Mk V files were you talking about, can you provide a link to them? You're right in that the biggest difference is usually due to foam thickness, but pepakura files for foam can also get away with simpler geometry as the foam can be curved easily, meaning the complex paper patterns to make the same sort of smooth curves is not needed.

So this is the file set I was looking at. There's a whole separate set of files within it for use with foam. Are they already trimmed appropriately for foam?

So this is the file set I was looking at. There's a whole separate set of files within it for use with foam. Are they already trimmed appropriately for foam?
The two biggest differences between foam and paper unfolds is that a foam optimized file will have no tabs for gluing and certain details will be removed to account for the difference of the thickness of foam compared to paper. There's a few other small differences but those two are the big ones. You can use a paper pepakura file to make foam items but not always the other way round.

I'm on mobile so I can't look at those exact files rn, but just to build off of what Turbo was saying... The left pane, the 3d image of the pep file, is always going to look the same for both pep and foam because they're using the same obj model. The difference is going to be what gets printed on the 2d pages. Like he said, the tabs are usually turned off for foam and small pieces are usually piled up somewhere "off screen".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back