Steel Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

kleptikondriac

well i have an interesting idea im working on, I have a bunch of steel and i need to do something fun, so i thought a hayabusa helm would be adequate. im working on folding the pep one atm but i have a question, if any of you can help.... how do you think i should split up the parts, i am working on the top flaring part already but should i make the front mask piece able to be separated or rivit it on like im going to do to the flare and (kettle) part also i have some ideas for the workings of the vents and a ton of comp fans available im plotting on getting intricate... Anyway a ref for separation of the parts would help ty in advance im plotting on also making custom shins, bracers and gauntlets for this ill post pics as i go...

Also don't worry about it being a complex pep model I've been working with pep for a few years Im a frequent /po/ on 4chan and as for working it in steel, I've been doing that for 4 years

I'll just say this, the Hayabusa is the hardest pep file there is of the armor permutations, let alone shaping it in steel. However, if you have faith in yourself then by all means. Try and fix the grammar and spelling in your post, had a hard time understanding what you were saying with no capitalization or punctuation. Try to get some pictures up soon too, the mods lock work in progress topics without pictures. I say a sliding piece for the mouth that locks in would be sweet as opposed to being riveted on. Best of luck to you.

Cheers,
Kensai

I am a armoursmith (one who makes armour). PM me, I have reproduced many types of armour, examples are english knight, japanese samurai, all in steel. the idea of doing a Hayabusa helm in steel is a difficult one.

cheers,
Stilgar the Hammer

Soooo this seems intersting to me. How would you go about shaping the steel, following the design, and stuff like that. Also, how does the pep model fit into this and how would you apply it to the previously mentioned things (shaping and following design)

^---build it once out of pep, to see how it looks then build it again but put it on steel to see what peices could be shaped how, then bend em and put em together

itd be an interesting build. id like to see it done. be a cool display peice. one problem i see is smoothening out the points in the back. unless you can actually get them that smooth of a wave into a point and cylindrical. i unno mix bondo in with it or something. as for the the problem with the face. yea locks or clips. if it was me id try to make them as barely noticed as possible. but if they have to be then *shrugs*

i think it could be done just have to have knowledge of the materiel and willing to spend lots of time on the project

I just hope it gets done. There been alot of talk on it but no one has done any thing about it

The difficulty will depend on the thickness of the metal being used for one. Also the skill level. I'd like to see it done as well.

26g steel shoudl be fine. but ive done lots of metal work myself, and just thinking about bending all those points with a hammer and anvil make be say....

um....no.

good luck!

I am currently working on a H1 marine steel armour. have the thighs done and shoulders done, working on chest and lower arms. I am using pics as reference and some pep from Garland.

Stilgar

If anything try to make another part of the armor I say. (personally the shoulders I'd start.)
The helmet is very time consuming and I still haven't finished mine. I'd say get advice from an expert
or a fellow welder like, Stilgar hammer, and colaborate together.

Also, put in an order for the McFarlane figure. Their detail helps with getting it prefected.

There's no reason that this shouldn't work. I have a good deal of experience working with metal and sheet metal for jewlery crafting and have made some very intracate all be it small stuff. I love the idea of rivets because you can just glue on the pep sheets and rivet in place rather than gluing the tabs, sand them smooth and you're good.

The only problem I see. . . .soooo much time and sooo much energy. If you have both of those, then tear it up man.

Yeah, I do body work and welding. It's not easy to make a metal spartan, but its not impossible either.

ok so idk how this attachment thing works so i hope you guys can see it, im working on the pattern now for the steel construct of the helm. ill devise the measurements shortly after i get a working pattern finished.... im waiting for my 18g steel to get here, its on its way so soon i will have some real progress..

it is no more complex than dishing custom motorcycle fuel tanks, just a bit smaller scale. absolutely do-able.

I have a 12 gauge(sp?) steel chest/backplate fit for a 12" teddy bear and a "close helm" that fits my cat. (i'll find teh pics)

it would be quite heavy, but carefully placed padding such as using an inflatable football helmet bladder would keep it on yer noggin correctly which would make it feel lighter.

P.s. Kin I steel yer dishing pattern? :p

Having worked with dishing metal and making different types of armor, I wish you the best of luck.

18 Gauge steel is not fun when having to dish it out and bend it just how you want.

I also would love to see your finished work. Happy Smithing :)

I know nothing about steel work....what is dishing steel/dishing pattern. (hopefully this Q isn't considered jacking a thread, if it is I apologize :-\ )

I am a medieval armour smith myself, i am here to learn how to work in plastics.

as for as dishing metal goes, its sinking and deppresing the metal downwards to form a shape. in order to do this you need a proper dishing form, like a log with a half cut out bowl in it or dishing donut ect...

dishing 18 guage is nothing try dishing 3mm thick stainless used for jousting pauldrons.

if the circle part in your pattern is being used as your skull, you wont be able to dish it, it has to be raised on a raising stake in order to keep its strength, if you dish it your bound to get cracks and you will be stressing the metal out way to much.

dishing is depressing the metal downwards
raising is making the metal more complex reinforcing its self going upwards.

here is a pic of a gauntlet i made completly dished, its not done its still missing its thumb and stuff but you get the idea.
Guantler027.jpg

this is a pic of greaves i am making, you see a dishing donut and a raising stake in it. you will need a 3'' round stake on top of the pole for you to make the helmet.
greeeeeeeeeves01122.jpg

my advise is get a blow torch, get a raising hammer and stake, and hammer away.
im sure you will make it and it will look awesome.

ted002.jpg

cool stuff- i did a gauntlet of sheet aluminum and it turned out cool-but not even close how cool yer stuff is!!
Those got me waiting.I just want to see the hayabusa!!!!

JustMe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back