Steel Halo 3 Mark VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChuckyBoss25

It has been some time, but after finishing my first two suits, it's time for number three. After experimenting, and finally getting a hang of it, I have been working on a 20 gauge mild steel mark VI. Right now, I'm almost done with the rough construction for the toe of my right boot. Hopefully, I can get the entire boot done by Thursday

Attachments

• IMG_0061[1].JPG
    IMG_0061[1].JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 185
Nice to see another steel build! Looking pretty good so far.
Just one word of advice, I'd recommend cleaning up welds once you know that all parts they hold together are at proper angles so you don't have to grind/file at weird angles later if you can't reach them easily anymore, but the current welds look pretty accesible, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Right, Its been a while but I'm back. I did not get the entire boot done by that Thursday. Truth be told, life happened and I didn't get anything else done besides cleaning up the welds. The big problem I'm encountering is motivation. Specifically when it comes to cutting out the pieces. I only have some metal shears to cut everything out.

However, I did find an alternative. Using the website "factory", I can get all my parts cut and delivered for just over $500. A bit pricy, but as far as I can tell, a great deal. The only downside is I have to order all pieces at once, otherwise the total is closer to $1000. I guess I could buy a cheap plasma cutter, but I don't think I will be able to get the quality that I want. So, it's now time to double an triple check my scaling.

I use a bit thinner material (about 22 gauge), but using decent metal shears, it's not too bad. Odd shapes can get quite tricky, but it's not too bad if you split it up right. I also only cut a few pieces at a time, so I don't spend hours at once cutting. I haven't used a plasma cutter, but it might be difficult to get the right shape by hand, that would require a cnc plasma cutter which is a bit more difficult. I don't know if this helps you with motivation, but I try to build up a part just tacking it together and then weld and grind it all later, but when I can still reasonably do it, but I have issues with motivation to grind or weld, as I have to set everything up for that, whereas cutting doesn't require much. It can also sometimes help to have something to look at that pushes you through, like the helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back