Stonewall's Finished Iron Man Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stonewall1993

Jr Member
LAST POST UPDATED WITH FINISHED SUIT!!!

OK... Resin + Bondo time in Montana! Helmet is 99% finished. I just ordered the EL sheet, so that should come some time next week. Currently I'm applying Bondo and rondoing the rest of the armor. I may post more pics later today.

UPDATED Pics:

0414101511a.jpg

0417101141.jpg

0417101141a.jpg

Here is the mechanism I'm using to hold the ear piece in:

0417101141b.jpg

These are two neodymium 7lb magnets hot glued+Rondo'd in there on the jaw.

0417101141c.jpg

More pics of the rest of the armor coming soon!

I'm still shooting for the May 7 release for Iron Man 2. I know the helmet isn't Tribal or Finhead quality, but it IS my first project, and I'm short on time. After Iron Man 2 I plan to make a much better Mark VI armor. :D

Comments and constructive criticism are most welcome :)

---Stonewall

Mannnnnnn, where'd you lot get all this time to build?.:)

There is a stealth invasion happening on this Halo forum, welcome aboard soldier. :lol

Cracking arc reactor, oh, and less bulldozing and more precision please.

Hey thanks for the shoutout. Your progress is looking good . You even have the dummy. You're a man with a goal. I respect that A lot. You said you weren't so great at pepping but you've already practiced on the callmemilo parts so dancin fools parts should be a lot easier to build now that you have the idea.

Keep it up. Ill be checking back as you update as I love iron man wips. They are so fun to read and look at pics and such.

Supemanextreme1

Thanks for the comments guys, I edited first post with some newer pics. I thought I scaled Clarx' leg piece right, but as it has been said, you really need chicken legs. :p

So I'm not finishing that any time soon. As soon as things warm up here in MT I'll start fiberglassing.

Question for those who have done their IM helmets:

Should I rondo the helmet or do the same old fiberglassing deal?

It's really great to see all the Iron Man and War Machine builds shaping up around here :D

Go Iron Men! :p(lame... I know)

---Stonewall

Stonewall said:
Thanks for the comments guys, I edited first post with some newer pics. I thought I scaled Clarx' leg piece right, but as it has been said, you really need chicken legs. :p

So I'm not finishing that any time soon. As soon as things warm up here in MT I'll start fiberglassing.

Question for those who have done their IM helmets:

Should I rondo the helmet or do the same old fiberglassing deal?

It's really great to see all the Iron Man and War Machine builds shaping up around here :D

Go Iron Men! :p(lame... I know)

---Stonewall

id do the helm the regular resin,glass,bondo, that way you can take your time and get it right how you want it, its the first thing you see on a costume, i actually jus finished a db ironman helmet...

Last edited by a moderator:
troubleis1983 said:
id do the helm the regular resin,glass,bondo, that way you can take your time and get it right how you want it, its the first thing you see on a costume, i actually jus finished a db ironman helmet...

Ok sweet. I actually think I'm going to re-do the helmet with Dungbeetle's new helmet file, as mine is a little screwed up, and I don't really want to use that much bondo.

I also don't want to go back and separate the ears from the rest of the helmet.

I've seen some people doing this, and they are making the rear part of the helmet slide up inside.

Is this a good idea or not?

---Stonewall

Last edited by a moderator:
Souns like a good idea if you can o it, it would make life easier when getting into the helmet, and you know that the back part wont just fall off if you moved funny. If you figure out how to do it, please post instructions!

I could see you putting a slide railing system on the back, and have 1-2 servo's that rotate either clockwise or counter clockwise, and depending on which way they rotate could pull the neck peices back, or let the extend down(Attached with string, or something more proffesional). The only potential problems I could see with this is space. Im assuming you have the eyes glowing, so the same power source could be used for both. If its not clear what I mean, I could sketch it up and post it, just ask, or PM. Also, for the neck part, thats attached to the back piece of the chest, the same system could be applied, except you would put a spring down the center, so it could spring back up, and be pulled down.

EDIT: Actually I cracked open the pep file again(The Older HD version that is now free from DungBeetle's blog) and my previously mentioned method might be a little overkill for the helment. You could put a servo in each of the 'ear' pieces, and have them slowly turn counterclockwise to pull it up, and clockwise to retract it down. You would have to still figure out some sort of curved sliding rail system, but it would be much prettier in my opinion. Again since you wont be doing this often, I would imagine, power should be too much of an issue, but space would. 1-2 servo's for the faceplate moving, 2 servos for the neck piece, and then whatever wiring you have for the glowing eyes. While extremely badass looking, it might be a tight squeeze :D Again I would be happy to clarify either methods with pictues/sketches.

Good Luck!

-Apoc

I was thinking about using servos for the back, but I could just let gravity do her job and just make the rear rotate around the ears as an axis. I think I get what you're saying though...

As for the neck, I'm still kind of lost. There is NO way I'm casting or molding anything with my current funds :p

I was thinking of going with Xtreme Tactics 101's EVA foam idea, and while it would take a while, I could put a good deal of detail into it. The only problem, however, is when I get to painting it. I don't know if the paint will eat the foam away or what...

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Since I don't want to double post o_O ...

I like your sliding rail idea, and it might help with controlling the amount that the ears and rear of the helmet spin around.

But, this is all still a little theoretical, since Montana just got hit with snow AGAIN!!! So I will not be resining/fiberglassing any time soon.

Now I'm going to finish Chem and do Db's shoulder bell :D

Thanks for the support/comments!

---Stonewall

I added a second idea, I think similar to what you came up with. As to whether or not the foam will react to the paint, I think it will melt it, I'm not sure though. You could however Resin it and that way it would seal the foam and keep it from melting. If anyone knows that's not the case, feel free to correct me.

-Apoc

Ok... I might pick some EVA foam up when I get the chance and do some *ahem* "chemistry" tests on it to see what works/doesn't work.

Curse Tony Stark for making such a form-fitting suit... although it looks dang sweet.

Hehe, alright mate, good luck. Make sure you wear a respirator though, I'm pretty sure the fumes emitted from the reaction are unhealthy. Not just a face mask, like a legitimate respirator, also I would do it outside if I were you.

Good Luck!

-Apoc

OK... New updatez.

Today was warm-ish... about 55 or 60. Heh :p

So, being sick of pep'ing for the moment, I decided to start the resin stuff :D :D

I'm somewhat worried about the helmet, but I think I should be able to pull it off with lots of bondo :)

No offense to DB, but I personally like his old helmet model better than the new one, but I really don't know why. The newer one is soooo much easier to build, but I feel like something is off. But seriously, I love DB's work :)

"Let's take a picture... Picture time!" --- Obediah Stane

Ok, I got a new phone, and the camera sucks :pPlease bear with me :)

Scratch-built support struts for DF's back plate:

[attachment=15216:0306101233.jpg]

[attachment=15217:0306101234.jpg]

DF's handplate, flap, and DB's helmet:

[attachment=15218:0306101256.jpg]

And my dog, Sam :D

[attachment=15219:0306101257c.jpg]

I also want to thank Finhead for his ABSOLUTELY AMAZING work on his costume, I seriously have to look at it for inspiration to get mine done :)

Thanks to everyone who have made Iron Man possible :)

---Stonewall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back