Stripping Paint from Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnavishPlum

Hello everyone!

I haven't really been on here recently but as school is getting closer to ending and vacation almost here I hope to finally start my Spartan suit. I have a question though relating to a piece I already have... the helmet. It is a ODST helmet I got on Etsy about a year ago at this point and I was wonder what could be done to strip the paint on it without harming the helmet. It was painted before I thought about making a body and I have learned of other painting techniques since then. It's a PETG plastic molded helmet and it was painted using some Rustolium spray paint and acrylic brush paint.

I have a piece from where the visor was hole was cut so I can test stuff before hand, I just am worried about sanding as I do not want to lose any detail and also since it already got the intense sanding treatment from when it was painted the first time.

Thanks!

I always strip my plastic minis with paint cleaner. For that i use st. Marcs (netherlands). Others in the uk use brown dettol for stripping

You could just lay down a new layer of Rustoleum primer and paint a new layer on top without stripping off the previous spray paint, if you did not want to worry about the paint remover interacting with the helmet material.

Would a paint over be the best option if I do a light sanding? I mainly worry since it already has a few layers of paint on it from the filler primer to regular primer to its colors.

If you do light even coats, you really shouldn't lose much of any detail

If you haven't lost detail yet with layers added your best bet overall is to do a light sand as Dirtdives said and go to a light spray paint OR get to wet sanding and get a nice surface finish, air brush on your colour of choice and then clear coat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back