Stripping Paint Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnavishPlum

Hi everyone, I recently decided to start working on a costume based on my Halo: Reach spartan. I actually bought the helmet before I decided to make a body (my original idea was the helmet with casual clothes), I am still doing that for this coming comic-con like convention done near my town. But I had painted the helmet before making the rest of the suit crossed my mind, it is planned as hopefully the final comic-con before college next year.

Ok, I want to strip the helmet of its existing paint job because its just not accurate. The colors are wrong, the stripes are off and I am not happy with the weathering.

old paint job.jpg

For more detial, this was a raw cast of an ODST helmet I purchased from LostVikingProps off Etsy made with PETG plastic, it is an amazing helmet and really good quality, which is why I ask, what is the best way to strip the paint without harming the helmet itself or mess it up? I asked him for his advice (he has been really helpful) and he said to use a small amount of lacquer thinner, but after reading that it can melt plastic, I have doubts about it.

Any ideas?
Old paint job (in case the image thing does not work)

EDIT: Also, this is for the helmet only, the visor/black on it is not being touched.

Last edited:
Well, it depends on the plastic. Lacquer thinner might work pretty well, test a small amount of it on the inside plastic. Then, if that works, use some on the outside. The plastic used is a resin, so it won't behave exactly like regular plastics like ABS and PLA. You'll just have to try and see. Best of luck!

May depend on the resin.
I use dissolvent or acrylic dissolvent - depends on the paint you've used. I have my armor parts resin+bondo and these don't get hurt, but just see what paint you've used but generic dissolvent should work.

Just curious as I have done some perusing on model sites and even the RPF, what about cleaners? Mr.Clean, I have seen something called Purple Power thrown around a lot.

Also, I assume rustoleum spray paint and arylic hand paint would be removable.

Helmet's made of PETG plastic, but I don't know much about resin for it to help me.

EDIT: Just wondering, is their a foam file for the Grenadier torso? I have only found a regular pep one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back