Structural support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoySunshine

So I finished my build. Other than using fiberglass resin is there any way I could add some structural support? I was thinking maybe if I went over the inside with duct tape? I'm not looking for pretty here just looking for a quick fix. Fiberglass resin stinks and gives me a migraine.

abcd.jpg

If you can smell the resin, your respirator isn't on tight enough. If you're not wearing a respirator, that would be the problem.

It stinks for months after application. I still can't go anywhere near my N7 helmet without whinging. I'm scent sensitive.

Fiberglass resin stinks and gives me a migraine.

Longterm you're going to have worse problems than just a migraine if you're smelling polyester resin. My parts stunk for two weeks after the resin had dried but the odor eventually dissipated - I just kept them outside until then. Some people use wood glue to harden their parts. It dries pretty hard, but you'll need to be careful to not get your paper too wet or it will sag. Brush the glue on very thin and then after it's hardened (that would be "hardened", not "dried") apply a second coat. (The first coat is just to make the paper rigid enough to hold its shape when adding the second coat, so apply it thinly.)

Thanks, I'll check that out. Is there no such thing as a spray on hardener?

That's classified unless you want men in black showing up at your door. :p Spray applications are just too thin to be of much use. You could maybe try a spray glue, but in my experience they remain tacky (and not like polka dots with plaid).

Man, that would suck. Pretty much everything I've used so far in my build has been malodorous. I smell pretty well, but I'm not particularly sensitive to those smells. I'm grateful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back