Super Nintendo And Nes Arcade Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
This started out as A broken Arkanoid arcade cabinet I got for free. I gutted it out, sanded it, painted it, put a new TV in it, built a new 2 player control panel, and put a Retro duo in it. It will play just about any SNES or NES game. (The marquee above the screen is only a temporary one until I get the one I ordered online. Ill be using that same image, It will be on material meant for backlighting though)

Button configuration for SNES games is as follows.
Bottom Red =B
Top Red = X
Bottom Blue = A
Top Blue = Y
Bottom Yellow = L
Top Yellow = R
Top Small Red Button = Start
Bottom Small Red Button = Select

Button configuration for NES games is as follows.

Top Red = A
Bottom Red = B
Top Small Red Button = Start
Bottom Small Red Button = Select

n528435801_2232537_6461127.jpg

n528435801_2232542_7159543.jpg

n528435801_2232535_7318815.jpg

n528435801_2232536_75641.jpg

n528435801_2232547_1037305.jpg

n528435801_2232545_1327929.jpg

n528435801_2232544_3857690.jpg

This was a really fun build and its REALLY fun to play. :)

Very nice custom build.

Speaking as an arcade tech, I'd have to say that I would hesitate a second to put that game in our arcade.

We've done a number of customs here, but none of them look that good. Well done!

your f*cking kidding me, tmnt arcade in your bedroom? you sir are a lucky man , and a skilled craftsman at that. um i got like $30 dollars in quarters , a case of beer , peter gabriel on a cassette tape and im coming over....time to relive childhood...i got back to the future on vhs if you wanna play it in the backround..lol

n528435801_2232549_3404809.jpg

n528435801_2232548_3944621.jpg

Inside the coindoor I installed a shelf to set the Retro duo on. If you dont know about the Retro Duo, Its a cheap knockoff system that plays SNES and NES games. I chose to use it as opposed to an original because It can use SNES controllers for the NES games as well. You can pick one up on ebay for around 40 bucks.

Humboldt_spartan said:
soooo..i dont need to bring an quarters? this is too kewl dude

It would be really cool if i could rig it up to require quarters to play .... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
looks like I just found my new project to start :) thanks alot for the idea man

I'll be makin my own cabinet for it tho :p should be fun

Im thinkin im gonna make it into like a computer terminal, and make it able to play all types of emulators :)
even GB. GBA, NES, ect. awsome :)

antzombie said:
looks like I just found my new project to start :) thanks alot for the idea man

I'll be makin my own cabinet for it tho :p should be fun

Im thinkin im gonna make it into like a computer terminal, and make it able to play all types of emulators :)
even GB. GBA, NES, ect. awsome :)

If you put a computer in yours you should do some google searching into MAME as well. I would have put a computer in mine, but I dont have a computer at my disposal and the retro duo was pretty cheap considering i already had a giant pile of snes and nes games. :) Good luck!! Here are some useful websites if you actually do make one.

localarcade Lots of cool art here
Benheck forums Click on the Arcade section and theres a lot of useful info
Arcade controls

awsome thanks alot :)

I actually am an IT technician for my city, and I have tons of Pc's at my disposal haha

Mames and emulators dont take much cpu at all so I could probably get away with throwing a P4 in there :)
but of coarse id jack it up with 4gb of RAM

antzombie said:
awsome thanks alot :)

I actually am an IT technician for my city, and I have tons of Pc's at my disposal haha

Mames and emulators dont take much cpu at all so I could probably get away with throwing a P4 in there :)
but of coarse id jack it up with 4gb of RAM

Yours should be really sweet. With all the emulators out there, you could rig it up to play almost any game. :D

Darthcalibar said:
Yours should be really sweet. With all the emulators out there, you could rig it up to play almost any game. :D

agreed :) who knows, a hacked xbox would be good for puttin in there too :p with an external harddrve formatted as
fat32, you could load tons of games on it..... hmmmm, the possibilities.

Your nes is pretty awsome though, I have to admit, the custom labels are sweet too

antzombie said:
agreed :) who knows, a hacked xbox would be good for puttin in there too :p with an external harddrve formatted as
fat32, you could load tons of games on it..... hmmmm, the possibilities.

Your nes is pretty awsome though, I have to admit, the custom labels are sweet too

Thanks man! Who knows, I might build a mame cabinet for a friend of mine or something. I'm always looking for projects. Also does anyone have any suggestions for side art? I found a lot of cool art on the internet, but I dont want to have it printed off somewhere. Im looking for something cool that is still simple enough that I could hand paint it or stencil it on with relative ease.

Yeah ive always wanted the classic arcade system nothing like the stick and the big buttons.

EDIT: But i would have to say i think your dating your self here your going to seam really old because i would bet most kids here have know idea what the good old classics were about.

Darthcalibar said:
Thanks man! Who knows, I might build a mame cabinet for a friend of mine or something. I'm always looking for projects. Also does anyone have any suggestions for side art? I found a lot of cool art on the internet, but I dont want to have it printed off somewhere. Im looking for something cool that is still simple enough that I could hand paint it or stencil it on with relative ease.

wellll if you have photoshop you can always use the stamp tool to make something pretty simple :p
For my xbox clan t3h r0x0rz i made a pretty nice insignia for us that way.
I have done other stuff too, but i think this turned out nice

If you would like, you can send me an image or even an idea or quick sketch and i can come up with something for you?

tehroxorzstampcopy.jpg

tehroxorzcrestcopy.jpg

lol here is my crappy real photo one
sig3copy.jpg

antzombie said:
If you would like, you can send me an image or even an idea or quick sketch and i can come up with something for you?

FinishedMarqueeJPEG.jpg

Well heres the Marquee I made for it that's being printed up right now. I'm thinking something along the lines of this. Right now im just toying around with ideas. I just want something that i can trace or something and paint pretty easy. Something that includes some of if not all of the characters in the marquee.

damn that's lucky you got that arcade machine for free, even nicer on gutting it out and customizing it .

i think i just drooled all over the floor :p

I had one a few years ago.
It was actually a miniature cabinet with a 13" tv for a monitor.
One player only (I'm a lonely child :D), and had a SNES inside with SF2 or MK2.
Over all it was about 3' tall and looked really cool in the corner. A mini fun machine.

Now I have my PC running mame and Killer Instinct 1. That's all I need.

Closest thing to it I have here are my xbox and gamecube demo stands I saved from gamestop..

n528435801_2249011_5186090.jpg

n528435801_2249012_7172739.jpg

n528435801_2249014_4177594.jpg

Marquee came in the mail today!! :) I think it looks really good. It looks a lot better in person, It doesnt show up as good in the pictures. :D I still need to add a piece of trim along the top of it, other than that It's pretty much done.

pretty sweet, that's cool!
I've been wanting to make some kind of central gaming system, not arcade style though.
where did you get the marquee done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back