Super Xbox 360(Dum-Da-Da-Duuuuum! No Rrod!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMer56

Sr Member
As some may know, I am in possession of an Xbox with a RROD that I got from a friend.

Good News: I fixed it.

Bad News: During normal play, it overheats, melting the solder connecting the chips, causing the RROD to start back up again.

Good News: Fixed the bad news!

I installed two fans on the tall heat sink, and put the built-in fans on the small heat sink. Now it sounds like a small airplane taking off. After an hour and a half (playing Halo 3 ^^) the heat sinks were only slightly warm.

Vid:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iulv9cTT6mk[/media]

(Note: the controller has those rubber bands for a reason, the battery pack is loose!)

The only problem (besides the noise) is that when playing games, it can take sometimes up to 15 seconds or so to load (checkpoints, levels, etc)... so this poor think aged about 10 years.

Should I make a custom case for it (Halo Helmet?), or would it be better to leave it naked? ^^

Now to get some updates and new maps!

I would say if you do put vents on the back and front of the helmet. On the front I would say make the vents around the mouth section. If you put vents on the back put them on the lower section of the helmet. Another suggestion is to make a Halo Design of some sort put it up on the wall and mount the parts of the 360 to the design. It would still be naked but it would look cool and keep cool.

Improvising FTW! I love jury rigged stuff, it shows dexterity and creativity. I would make a case for it though, dust tends to mess up electronics in the long run. Thats why I always have to clean the inside of my PC case every couple of months.

Cool! this just proves that the RROD is not just one cause and cant always be fixed by the penny trick. I personally have never had problems with my xbox except the normal lagging out of parties and in games.

Wow, I just realized how many people replied.

But I am not writing just to see the text I typed... this is because I have an update!

I have started building the ideal casing for my xbox 360!

0405002010.jpg

It should not catch on fire, as when I played it for an hour and a half the entire thing was slightly warm.

And it will not threaten to stab me! Yay!

GMer56 said:
And it will not threaten to stab me! Yay!

LOL :p

But I think it will be a bad Idea because If you make the cube to small , It will make the xbox overheat because there is no air flowing inside, because there is no space

and

If you make it to big, the xbox will just wobble around the cube

In my opinion, I think making a helmet would be much creative.

Or you can make a clear case with glass squares and just glue them with that silicone people use with thier fishtanks.

And you can also add a couple of mini fans so it wont overheat.

BUT the best of all is that you candraw in the glass and make it look prety :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex spartan177 said:
LOL :p

But I think it will be a bad Idea because If you make the cube to small , It will make the xbox overheat because there is no air flowing inside, because there is no space

and

Well, the xbox fits in it pretty comfortably, lots of breathing room. I'll add some fans on some secret venty holes (either around the heart thing or at the corners).

Companion cubes are surprisingly easy to build... I just need to glue all of the parts on.

Did anyone notice the line is "...will never threaten to stab you..."? So does that mean it will stab you without warning? :p

I have some close-ups of where the ventilation...ummm... vents will be:

In the corners:

0406000703.jpg

And the center line thingys:

0406000704.jpg

Note that the pictures are from two different sides... as I will bondo my cube & the pieces, then attach them. with either hot glue, caulking or bondo.

I love my companion cube ^^

That's pretty cool. Ya know, I think I'll buy Xbox 360s from eBay that have the RROD and then fix them! I'll have so many Xbox 360s...

Spartan 051 said:
The noise might be solved by using whisper fans i bought a pair for mine but never put them in

Can I but those whisper fans from you?

Aaron said:
That's pretty cool. Ya know, I think I'll buy Xbox 360s from eBay that have the RROD and then fix them! I'll have so many Xbox 360s...

The Xbox 360 has many reasons for the RROD... and you can figure these out by pressing the controller sync button, and press the eject button 4 times, noting the number of lights that flashed. Those are known as secondary error codes, primary error codes are like "E73" and stuff.

I'm going to need to add another fan and replace the built-in fans though... the little bugger overheated (not so much with the two red lights, as so much as the screen froze and was covered with artifacts) when in the cube (with a panel open). Not surprising.... I should make it so there is ventilation on the bottom (one fan pulling air in, another pulling it out).

Time to start scavenging-or spend money *gasp*

Bit of a double-post here, as I have some news.

The companion cube is being downgraded from a case to a storage box. This means to play the xbox I will be taking it out of the cube, the cube will be for storage and transportation.

The reason for this is when I tested it in the cube with one of the panels off, it overheated, and regressed back to the RROD.

But I fixed it, don't worry :p

I just found my thermal compound, which means I'll be opening up the 360 even further by removing the heat sinks, remove the current thermal compound and put on some new stuff (0.8 watts/meter degrees C, from what I hear the high-end stuff is 1-2 watts/meter, so this should suit my application fine).

I just need to find a small enough screwdriver now.

Blarg! Triple post (or in Wii bowling, a turkey! Just got one of those!)

I finally got a worthy screwdriver set, it was sooooo much easier opening the xbox with the right bit. Got it from home Depot for $9.99. Word to the wise: never go to Radioshack unless you know exactly what you are looking for, at least the New England ones, anyway. A bunch of idiots live here I guess

While taking off the heatsink I scratched myself, now I really have put blood, sweat, and toil into it ^.^

Here is the beastie completely naked, lol.

0411001748.jpg

And here is the culprit:

0411001749.jpg

Notice the shineyness of it? Shouldn't be. Should have a light coat of thermal compound on it. I'll be applying this hopefully tonight. Just got back from shoppingwith some more wii accessories, and I'll be helping my parents with setting it up.

News! Xbox 360 just got the 0022 error, which means one of the main chips somehow got disconnected :(

This companion cube is now going to be a cooler/lunch box for when I'm wandering about in my armor.

Stuff some expanding foam in there and food will be safe(ish).

I thought of replacing my Xbox 360 because I got the E73 error which is an error with the ICS chip or the Ethernet port. I got the E74 before so I used AS5 and the screw mod. Ran like a beauty until BOOM! E73. The E73 is not fixable. I took a wire and stripped both ends and then connected 2 random contacts on the motherboard. After a few scary sparks, I got the RRoD. I then sold it on Ebay saying it has the "FIXABLE" RRoD (which it didn't) and got $160 from it mostly for the HDD, HDMI wire, and the WIFI add on (it was an Elite).

Dr. KriSpY said:
I thought of replacing my Xbox 360 because I got the E73 error which is an error with the ICS chip or the Ethernet port. I got the E74 before so I used AS5 and the screw mod. Ran like a beauty until BOOM! E73. The E73 is not fixable. I took a wire and stripped both ends and then connected 2 random contacts on the motherboard. After a few scary sparks, I got the RRoD. I then sold it on Ebay saying it has the "FIXABLE" RRoD (which it didn't) and got $160 from it mostly for the HDD, HDMI wire, and the WIFI add on (it was an Elite).

Maybe I should do that (the selling on ebay part).

Since when is everything on the internet true? :D

awesome, now remember don't through your companion cube into the incinerator... PS: i have been told the cake is a lie...

Hi...

an update upon this:

As you know I switched the guts of 2 xboxs (one of them was from someone I know, but he deserves being in the dark), so I got a somewhat working one, but it died and got the 0001 error, which means incorrect power, which makes sense because the guts I have are 2nd gen, and I'm using a 1st gen adaptor.

So... He got a new xbox, which needs a cd tray swap, so I'll be swapping the cd drive with the one in his old one (that has my guts inside), and in return I get his adaptor (that works with the guts I have) and $20.

Ah, capitalism at work...

You may say I have no morals, but look at my sig, that explains it all :cool

You might try buying a new Xbox.

But, seriously, go over everything, make sure all your panels are together and all your chips are secure. If not, fix. If they are, and issue is persists... Make big fix.

You should make a new case for it: the Millenium Falcon. It's like a first-gen and a second-gen YT-1300 welded together, with a schizophrenic (heh, handle) personality. It's perfect.

Good luck with all this, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back