Td2955's Mark Vi Helmet Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

td2955

Hey all!

Noob here. Just wanted to get some project photos out and show off some progress. Halo costumes and Pep models are a completely new realm for me. Previously, I've done Star Wars Sandtrooper armor and Ghostbusters costuming. Those were all molded ABS plastic. I'm excited about working with resin and bondo now! lol Any and all CONSTRUCTIVE feedback and suggestions are appreciated. I know some of my lines are a little warped right now and the hot-gluing adjustments made some things slightly off-center, but for my first try I think it's ok...certainly nothing a little bondo and paint can't fix!

Thanks,

Morgan

TD2955

very nice looking helmet :)

if you're unsure on how to use Fiber Glass Resin and those sort of thing.

try reading the stickies, they helped me out alot when I first started :)

I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks. I was actually thinking of doing the RONDO slush casting method that I saw on the video tutorials. Looks much easier and faster than using fiberglass.

Yeah, she looks pretty good, not gonna lie. How long would you say you spent on that particular helmet?

FrozenSniper said:
looking good dude! keep it up! btw its mark vi instead of iv

Thanks for the correction!

I'd say I spent a good week just cutting all the pieces out and pre-folding. I spent almost two full days hot-gluing everything together. I should have started with something less complicated, like some of the arm pieces, before taking on the helmet. I was a little disappointed with some of my gluing results. But like I said, that's what Bondo is for! lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Morgan said:
Thanks for the correction!

I'd say I spent a good week just cutting all the pieces out and pre-folding. I spent almost two full days hot-gluing everything together. I should have started with something less complicated, like some of the arm pieces, before taking on the helmet. I was a little disappointed with some of my gluing results. But like I said, that's what Bondo is for! lol

in boyscouts duct tape fixes everything on the 405th bondo fixes everything :lol

Just thought I would post an update on my progress. The weather here in Ohio has been pretty cold the last week and a half, so I haven't been able to resin any of the other pieces yet. So I've just been working on pepping all of the arm pieces. The rest of this week will be 60+ degrees though!

My first helmet was too small, so I gave it to my son. I've been able to resin and rondo this helmet though and I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out so far. I'm definitely getting better at cutting and gluing. Funny how the more you pep, the better you get at it and the cleaner your models turn out! I'm starting on the chest piece next, but not today. I think I'm taking a day off today to spend with the kids on Spring Break. I don't want to be accused of choosing Halo over my own kids during vacation! lol

And here's a shout out to Robogenesis' awesome pep models. I really liked the way the HD hand armor turned out. Nice job man!

Morgan

Wow, this looks great so far! I look forward to watching your progression.

What resin did you use - fiberglass resin or the aqua-resin?

Thanks! I just used regular old fiberglass resin on the outside, then Rondo'd the inside instead of messing with fiberglass. I don't think I'm going to use fiberglass on any of the pieces now that I've discovered how easy and fast rondo is. Tomorrow is supposed to be gorgeous and warm, so I'll probably resin and rondo all the pepped pieces that I have so far before starting on the chest armor.

Let me know if you guys notice anything that I need to correct. I had to trim off the wrists on the forearm piece so that I could get my hand through the end. I suppose I could have just pepped a bigger model, but I was afraid it would end up looking like Popeye arms if I did that. I also customized the bicep piece and added an indentation at the end of each bicep to make it a little more accurate. I didn't take a picture of that, but you can barely see it in one of the pics if you're interested.

BTW, does anyone know where I can get one of those status pictures that show what has been pepped, resined, bondoed, painted, etc. on it?

Morgan

TD2955

Got the chest put together (MD Chest - I figured 59 pieces were good enough compared to the 185+ pieces in the HD version! LOL). I'll probably resin and rondo in a day or so. The arm and hand plates are all resined and rondo'd now too. Cod armor and rerebrace will be next!

One question on the chest/back armor - do most people find it necessary to split those pieces into two sections? Because I don't have a CHANCE of fitting this entire assembly on over my head and shoulders!

lol, its comical (to me) that you said that you started with the helm... well that's what i did, I accidentally downloaded a HD file and built it. But for being my first helmet i think it turned out great. Its just pepped now, i am waiting for it to warm up so i can resin it...

But then again, I always am up for a good challenge! and keep up your phenomenal work on your armor set...

Yeah, the chest is supposed to be split into 2 pieces, its one of those tight fitting kind of things. Its not supposed to just slide over your head and shoulders like some other armors.

Your armor is looking nice so far. The helmet is starting to look small to me compared to the other pieces though, but maybe thats just me.

Monicator said:
Your armor is looking nice so far. The helmet is starting to look small to me compared to the other pieces though, but maybe thats just me.

Yeah I think that might just be the way the pieces are laying on the floor and the angle that I took the photo, especially with the chest piece just laying in front of it. I'll definitely be test fitting everything to make sure it scales on me correctly!

Another update...thighs are now pepped and ready for resin. I was hoping to be able to resin today, but the weather isn't cooperating - it's 49 degrees out right now!

Since I am now ready to start on the calves, does anyone know of some high res calf models out there besides what we have in the download hub?

Thanks!

Yeah...once the weather warms up enough for the resin and bondo to set up, I'll keep working on it. In the mean time, I'm moving on to pepping the shins and feet.

Just thought I'd post another update. The shin pieces are now pepped (thanks Crackhead). I've also redone the bicep/shoulder armor using Robogenesis' HD model. I'm also currently replacing the forearms with HD files from Nugget. I've thought it over and I'm definitely going to replace the chest armor with the HD files from FlyingSquirrel as well. But I'm still debating on whether I want to redo the helmet with a high def model or just add the additional little details to what I already have...jury's still out on that one. We'll see how burned out I am in a couple of months!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back