Props Team Spartan Laser Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, My friend and I are building attempting to build a Spartan Laser and figured we should share our progress here. So far we have some very basic plans drawn up and the base shape cut out of a piece of MDF. There's not much to look at yet, but keep checking back here, we plan on working pretty fast.

102_1131.jpg

102_1133.jpg

102_1134-1.jpg

102_1135.jpg

102_1136.jpg

Here's the blueprint we made and have scaled up.

SpartanLaserBlueprint-1.jpg

This is what we plan on using for the little bit on the inside that the laser is actually fired out of, It's a 135mm Telephoto lens I picked up at a flea market for 3 bucks.

DSC00269.jpg

DSC00270.jpg

We'll be sure to keep you updated.

Update: We got two more pieces cut out of MDF. The next step is to run them through the router to bevel the edges at a 45 degree angle. That should be really fun and not nerve racking or meticulous. ;) (sarcasm) Currently this thing weighs 18 pounds on the dot. We plan on drilling it out in a bunch of places to take a bit of weight off, but either way this thing is going to be a heffer. Right now the pieces are temporarily clamped together, so if they look uneven or in the wrong spot, don't worry about it.

102_1155.jpg

102_1153.jpg

102_1154.jpg

102_1158.jpg

102_1159.jpg

102_1161.jpg

102_1162.jpg

102_1164.jpg

102_1165.jpg

102_1166.jpg

102_1167.jpg

102_1168.jpg

Very Nice! Can't say enough good things about MDF as a prototyping material. :D The camera lens idea is great as well...

Keep it coming!

Can't say enough good things about MDF as a prototyping material.

There. Fixed that for ya. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yodajammies said:

There. Fixed that for ya. ;)

Ouch! That's not right... :D

Hey hey hey! :p Have you even seen what dogwizard can do with MDF board? Well if you haven't... You just haven't gazed awesomeness fully in the face. :cool:

More to the point, that scale=100% dead on. What is your full length for the laser? I think you truly got it perfect. Other than that, the rest is awesome too. I'll be watching this one closely. :cautious:

DogWizard said:
Ouch! That's not right... :D

Well, I haven't worked a whole lot with MDF yet but have only heard good things. So far I've liked it. I have a feeling Yodajammies has had some bad experiences with it.... haha

Thanks LeeKegan!

Heavygunner, Funny story about the scale. Originally I made up the blueprint and everything, threw it into paint and scaled it up to print out at 450% just to test it out. I printed it out, cut the pieces, taped it together and everything, then later checked on the halowiki to see what the real size was. To my suprise the halo wiki said 38.9 inches from front to back, as it turns out the first blueprint I printed out happened to be exactly that size. Right now the thing is 37 inches from front to back, but once we add on the little piece to the front it will be extended to roughly 39 inches.

Heavygunner, Funny story about the scale. Originally I made up the blueprint and everything, threw it into paint and scaled it up to print out at 450% just to test it out. I printed it out, cut the pieces, taped it together and everything, then later checked on the halowiki to see what the real size was. To my suprise the halo wiki said 38.9 inches from front to back, as it turns out the first blueprint I printed out happened to be exactly that size. Right now the thing is 37 inches from front to back, but once we add on the little piece to the front it will be extended to roughly 39 inches.

Now that is funny! :lol: Can't wait to see this thing go a bit further through the construction stage. ;)

Wow, this project looks very promising! Keep up the good work! *Thumbs up*

Also, how much did the MDF cost? You know, per plate?

Photo3.jpg

Photo5.jpg

Here are a couple more pictures. All I have this morning is my macbook camera, so they kind of suck. The bevel turned out great. We still need to sharpen some of the turns on the beveling, but that shouldn't be too hard. Updates will be provided as the situation warrants. Stay tuned folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back