Team Win Studios : Odst Progress Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the warm welcome guys! I've enjoyed our long running killing frenzy around the world and universe. I also have an update of my own. I've been working in the shadows on this for quite sometime and will be unveiling the finished product next weekend at PixelCon in Tuscaloosa, AL. but now for the long overdue update and pics of some scratch built works, from the We Are ODST short, that i've created. Get ready, there will be a test at the end. hehe.

First we have a set of shoulders, built from cardboard. And let me point out, to me, this is the quickest and easiest way to create armor. I look at the reference pictures and see how it fits on the model. Then reference it to myself. For instance where it starts and where it ends, how wide is it, and how would it fit on me. Measure that distance and you have your start.

p_00030.jpg

p_00029.jpg

Here they are coated in SmoothCast and my own composite blend of SmoothCast. Still in rough form but I should have everything finished in time.

p_00022.jpg

p_00020.jpg

Next is the center torso plates. Again in rough form and then getting closer to finished.

p_00025.jpg

p_00024.jpg

p_00027.jpg

p_00028.jpg

And now, the bucket. This was given to me by SavvyTank as a trade, In which Joe now is the owner of my MKVI Helm mold so that will be coming from Joe to you James and Brutus. In raw cast and somewhat throw together for the release of ODST.

p_00031.jpg

p_00026.jpg

Forearms. Weta version edited to be accurate to my build. Still needs work.

p_00016.jpg

p_00017.jpg

p_00018.jpg

And finally the Chest plate. I tried scratch building but got fed up with it so this is pepped. This is the one made for Goosebot and Techbot. Mine is actually a little larger since I am 6 foot, 213 lbs.

p_00004.jpg

p_00007.jpg

p_00002.jpg

Almost forgot! Just built these! Accurate thighs...made them while I was at work ( managment has its perks! When its slow that is). And the ODST shirt. This thing is comfy.

p_00001.jpg

p_00032.jpg

To everyone, I hope you enjoy these. And to the Mods, sorry for the shear size of this update. I had a lot to show.

Alrighty! Just got back from PixelCon, which was a complete success! Over 400 people came, which is awesome for a Con just getting off the ground. Congrats to ERINocalypse, she busted her butt to get it going and ended with a bang! As promised i have some finished pics of my work, hope you all enjoy.

IMG_0750.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

IMG_0755.jpg

IMG_0756.jpg

So of course some extra sanding needs to be done, but i wanted it to look like I survived many battles. comments are welcome. Special thanks goes out to Savvytank for the helmet and Adam for the smg.

Looks awesome. Savvytank's helmet is pretty sweet isn't it?

Anyways, only advice I'd have is to take more advantage of dry brushing to make more of the rough spots look like they belong (might just be the flash washing out whatever dry-brushing you did though). I have the same issue with my helmet though, lots of little divets from being a quick job.

Yeah, the helmet was great. I agree that the flash washed out the highlights, i put a little to much silver powder on, hence the crazy metallic look. btw that stuff works great. I did have a question to everyone. Do the shoulders look a little small? while making them I thought they were spot on, but now they seem to be to small.

No problem, there is one thing that I noticed though.... On Savys helmet, it looks like you took out some of the details "that were supposed to be there", and put some new ones in, it may just be the reflection of the paint though?! =P

yea I did. Its not the original version from Weta or the in game version. Its the We Are ODST version. It has somethings that the others don't, but its still in the works. This was just what it looked like at PixelCon, I still have some more work ahead of me.

Yeah, we were all cramming to finish up some last minute details, and we still didnt finishe everything. i just realized after seeing these posts that we didnt take many pictures at all. ill post up the one or two that i have from the con, and a few of some of our new parts.

New Stomach Pad. Kinda. The base part (the body without the straps and fork additions) was cut and layered out of cardboard. Made a quick mold and cast out a handfull of the base plates, then added the details with the craft foam with the adhesive side to it. it was a quick fix so i could have some better stomach pads. ive got the detail pieces in progress, and will remold when they are 100%.

photojpg.jpg

Our Flex-Foam it! Legs with the cast shotgun shells. Our newest legs have a thin layer of plastic on the outside of the shins, and the rest is backed with the foam. they are a 1000% improvement over the all plastic versions in the mobility and comfort. the ones pictured, however, are the pure foam versions. dreads, yours will be coming out soon.

photo1.jpg

The only pic i can find of Techbot and I in gear. We are still using the original chest plates we used from dragoncon. we couldnt finish the bigger version in time. sigh.

preview_tIMG_1854JPG.jpg

The art piece we submitted to the art gallery for the con:

photo2.jpg

After about half the day i had obligations with my fellow local ghostbusters for the con, so i suited up our Lt. Dan mannequin with the gear.

photo3.jpg

Team Win's Booth

photo5.jpg

And just for fun, i went to the Dharma store and got some party supplies for the LOST premiere last night!

photo4.jpg

sorry for the large pictures. hooray for iphones huge sizes.

FTW.

Nice pictures! Love the display setup.

I need to get a hold of those adhesive foam strips. =P

DYSTORTED INC said:
yea I did. Its not the original version from Weta or the in game version. Its the We Are ODST version. It has somethings that the others don't, but its still in the works. This was just what it looked like at PixelCon, I still have some more work ahead of me.

Well whatever the case, it still looks good, keep up the good work man! :)

Oh, and where did you guys get the shotgun shell set-up for the shins? Did you make them yourselves?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks epic like always :) really nice.

Ive never seen odst legs in flex foam yet :pthats a new one. looks comfy!

its alot better than hard plastic ones. They rub the crap out of your ankles. Its a great investment to get some flex foam shins, especially the ones with the smoothcast skin.

Goosebot 5000 said:
the bandolier came from ebay. it was around ten bucks and was enough for two leg sets.

I am really confused by what you said..... it did'nt make any sense to me, may you please re-frase it? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
the bandolier is the name for the holder for the shotgun shells. we ordered one from ebay and it was long enough to cut in half and to use for two different holders, each big enough to use if you wanted to strap the shells to your thigh or leg.

and like dystorted mentioned, the shotgun shells themselves arent real. we made a mold of one and cast replicas in smoothcast 320.

hope this answered your questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back