Texas from RvB Build!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CXBoss

Hello everyone! This is my first real post here on the 405th! Im super excited to share and track my progress on my Texas cosplay! I have always wanted to do another Red vs Blue cosplay, and redeem myself for my first attempt. I built a Felix cosplay back in 2017. It wasn't horrible, but it for sure was not my best work! I started this cosplay just before quarantine started with pepekaura and bondo. Lets just say that didn't go well....so I am back to my material of choice, foam! I am building everything except for the helmet. I bought it from Branfhur Stuidos as a rough resin cast and finished it up myself (I will have another post on the helmet later!). As i stated earlier, I am super excited to share this with you all and I hope to become more involved with this awesome 405th community!

Thank you for checking this out!

I bought a rough resin casted helmet from Branhfur Studios. Great shop with high quality products by the way! I can not even explain how excited I was when it came in! I have always wanted a resin casted Halo helmet.
7700AA6B-DE2B-44CC-90A1-BE72F63850FB.jpeg

I struggled with trying to cut out the visor until I realized I could get cutting heads for my Dremel! I was able to carefully cut out the visor section of the helmet.
9C0866EA-DEBE-4840-830D-D17641367117.jpeg

I spent the next hours sanding down the edges by hand around the visor. I couldn't get my Dremel into the visor area without it taking off too much, or damaging other areas of the helmet, so it was easier to just get it done by hand. Then came the primer and flat black spray paint.
2EBE1D6C-FAB6-4659-90EC-6AD60C6F04C1.jpeg
A54E566C-6FF9-4A34-A8D2-78AA3F731477.jpeg

I then dry brushed silver acrylic paint on the high areas and added a shiny Mod Podge layer to a few areas of the helmet. The visor was finally added and the helmet is complete! I couldn't be happier with how it came out. Next up is the electronics and lights!
36768DC7-21E2-4CD7-B879-2992DD1EA8E8.jpeg

Thank you for scrolling through and checking out my Texas build!

Great work! You did a great job differentiating the blacks between the main body and the details.

So after I finished up the painting and assembling of the helmet it was time for lights! This was my first time ever wiring my own lights into a cosplay piece. I was a little nervous at first, but I figured it out! When I was first wiring it up I had the circuit wrong and the wiring started smoking. I talked to one of my buddies on Instagram and they helped me figure it all out. The smoking went away and the lights worked perfectly.
D4BBA215-68C1-4306-95B8-9637A98A1523.jpeg

I have a button right under my chin that I can push and turn the lights on and off. Im having a slight issue with that aspect of the lights though. I can't quite reach it with my chin. I will probably have to add foam to the button or make a weird lever deal that will help me reach it. The helmet is a little roomy for me anyways. If anyone has any suggestions on what I could use or do to help with this problem that would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for checking out this post!

Wow CXBoss that helmet looks amazing! Branfuhr sure has amazing casts too. I agree with Angus314 - love how you got the different blacks.

Nice! what did you use to diffuse the lights?
I actually did not use anything to diffuse them. I wanted these lights to be very bright like flashlights! Im planning on adding a sanded piece of plastic for the other lights in the armor.

So far, that's looking like a fine work indeed!

For that little problem of a too roomy helmet, motorcycle supply stores often sell foam kits to fit a helmet to your head. Might be a good way to go, and you can even stack foam over foam. Just don't forget that you'll need to breathe in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back