Thanks to the 405th community! (A great spot for inspiration & garb creation data)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpecMouse

Wanted to say a big thanks to everyone here. About two weeks ago, my buddy wanted to do a Batman short to coincide w' the big un'. So I crash coursed as it were,reading topics here at the 405th & Therpf.

Aand got slightly sidetracked drooling over all the coolness....... :)

Tracked down some Batman patterns, then found out it was going to take more time then we had to do the cool/detailed pepakura paper/foam armor, (with 8hrs to go till filming) so below the end result of what we put together in about twelve hours total.

Behind the scenes/Getting him suited up...(take note of the gauntlets, workable bits can be had w' industrial velcro (Home Depot/Office stores) glued or stapled to the parts you want to easily put on/take off..

(Yes, its pretty basic.....but I am really happy for this last minute shoot, as this whole experience shown me whats possible w' a little time/$ and imagination.....So I am pretty gungho about making some cooler sci-fi armor at a later date!!

Costume was a mish/mash of the older 90's/80's suits/details based off pics I found on the net.

Note of the day. If you have a BigLots or store of that nature around you, check em out after a big holiday! Specifically, the discount shelf where they want to get rid of all the holiday merchandise as quick as possible. Got me a load of foam placemats for 75% off!! (40cents instead of a 1.50!!) And they have a plastic sheet glued to them, which can be peeled off, or left as a stiffener. ( I made the gauntlets out of these )

Foam was acquired at Harbor Freight (Shop floor mats), Jo-Anns (pack of foamies) & BigLots (4th of July placemats)

Industrial velcro was acquired at a local office supply store (can be found at any hardware, craft store,etc.

I hot glued most everything, If I had thought of it, I might have used a stapler as an extra insurance, but everything did stay put for the duration of the shoot!

The cape was attached to velcro strips on the shoulder pad areas. Velcro was also SEWN to the cape.

All painted w spray can black (Yay, it did not melt the foam! we did a test on scrap, of course!)

The bat emblem was yellow foamie, cut smaller then the larger black bat emblem, glued together, and roughly sprayed w' black paint until it looked just right.

Anyhoo, hope this gives someone some ideas. Thank you to everyone for posting your ideas for the rest of us, and looking forward to cutting up more foam!:rolleyes

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back