The DF4L/FS Hybrid!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpalmer919

I was looking at differences between the DF4L helm I've been making and the FS model. The FS model has a few details that the DF4L does not, (namely the nose piece, the indentions on the side of the jaw (not where the vent-looking thigs are, but on the front, on either side of the flat front part), and the indention in the back. The FS model also has a finer geometry for the curves on the helm, but that doesn't really matter to me, because I plan on sanding the hell out of my helm until it is perfectly curved anyway. So, I printed out the FS pieces for the back, the front indentions, and the nose piece, then got my dremel and attacked my current helm to make room for the FS parts. Here's how it came out:

[attachment=2535:Hybrid001r.JPG][attachment=2534:Hybrid002r.JPG]

I've already attached everything except the nose, it is merely taped on at this time. I'm going to put a little bit of resin on it so it will hold the shape it needs to fit on the helm properly, then I'm going to take it off and finish resining it. I'll paint it separately and re-attach it after everything else except for the visor is done, to help give the helm less of a "all-one-piece" appearance...

comments?

if you can pull it off, i tip my hat to u.
this is gonna rock if u can do it. im mainly intrigued of how ur gonna fit the whole thing together, especially with the different polys and dimentions.

MC PwN 3R said:
if you can pull it off, i tip my hat to u.
this is gonna rock if u can do it. im mainly intrigued of how ur gonna fit the whole thing together, especially with the different polys and dimentions.

It's not that difficult since I'm starting with a resined DF4L helm. Basically, I just had to dremel out the areas where the FS pieces will go. The front indentions fit just fine without any scale adjustments. For the part in the back, after I cut the area out of the DF4L helm, I had to scale the FS piece up by 1.5 cm I believe. Took a few tries to get that one right...

Last edited by a moderator:
intresting!!! ide like to see this one when its done.
bdw, that nose peice is wrong, its better in the newer one. the new model isnt totaly finished but that nose peice is fixed and the pdo is in my thred.

flying_squirl said:
intresting!!! ide like to see this one when its done.
bdw, that nose peice is wrong, its better in the newer one. the new model isnt totaly finished but that nose peice is fixed and the pdo is in my thred.

Sweet, I'll go grab that...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back