The long journey home? (ODST suit build)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hein B287

so, after playing halo 4 a bunch again my love for the series returned. i started collecting some of the models and miniatures (expensive right now :eek:). but there was another itch that i thought was long gone.

my love for props and such. now the halo cosplay bug got a good hold of me yesterday and i started to browse around the web a bit. that's how i stumbled upon this forum and decided to register.

as of now i have printed 3 version of the odst rookie helmet. one unscaled, one scaled uniformly and one that (hopefully) will fit me when done. after that i will continue with the rest of the armor. the goal is to make something like in the attached image.

i also have my first question to the forum. what parts from the halo 3 odst list (see link) do i need. i could identify most parts but i am unsure what i will need. any help is appreciated ;)

Halo 3: ODST - UNSC ODST

wip___halo_odst__buck_3d_model_by_joeshouseofart-d8xd8vx.jpg

I would break down the Halo 3 style ODST as:
-Boot Toe Cap Armor
-Shin and Knee Armor
-Outer Thigh Armor
-Hip Armor
-Cod Armor
-Belt Armor
-Three piece abdominal armor
-Chest Armor
-Collar armor
-Back Armor
-Shoulder straps
-Shoulder Armor (See Romeo or Mickey shoulders for possible variants)
-Gauntlets
-Gloves (May be fingerless or full fingered depnding on Halo 3 or Halo 3:ODST Squad)

Optional accessories:
-Pouches
-Shell Bandolier
-Grenades
-Back Pack

This entry in our "Armory" should have all the files you need for a Halo 3 style ODST all in one convenient zip file:

Halo 3: ODST - UNSC ODST

thank you very much Cadet (executive officer? how does that work)

I was looking around in the files and images, but at one point i got really confused at what i needed. this list will help a lot

tonight i will start pepping the helmet. Wish me luck

executive officer? how does that work

I'm the Division (405th Infantry Division) Executive Officer.

The 405th has two levels of leadership, Divsion level Command Staff (world wide) and Regimental Command Staff (Smaller, local geographical units)

Basically I'm second in Command of Division Level Command Staff, answering to Angela, "Fangs," the Division Commanding Officer.

Do foam for ODST armor it is easier

I will do it with the part under the armor plates on the front torso. right now i don't have very much (read none) experience with handling that stuff. I've read a few things on the forum on how to work with it.

The chest base, should be something like a vest when done. over that i plan to then put on the chest armour with the neck and back connected.

on the other hand, pepping is a awe full lot of tedious and slow work. bu i do enjoy it ;)

So yesterday the thick paper i ordered arrived, yes :D. I almost immediatly started printing the pep helmet.

Lets hope i scaled it right this time. Last time i hadn't noticed that you can only scale one of the three sizes (height, depth and width). This time i made it 25% wider.

20180109_212242.jpg

After around 2.5 hours of pepping.(three episodes of stargate sg1) this is how far i got. I'm starting with the neck ring again so i can test fit it earlier

20180109_224029.jpg

Also my darkhorse miniature pillar of autumn arrived :cool:

20180110_063952.jpg

Last edited:
One step forward and two steps backwards.

Model was too small again :(. Can't even get it over my head properly.

Now to the number crunching. If anyone could check if this is right i would be very happy.

My take on scaling it:
-the hole in the helmet is 177 mm wide (rounded up)
-After measuring my head is 210 mm wide
-to account for room for padding etc i add a little bit and use 230
-now to get the right scale i do
230/177=1.230 as the scaling factor.
-the helmet in pepakura is 263 mm wide
- 1.3 x 263 = 342 mm
This is the number i use in the version 3 helmet. Not the the second version

If anyone could check if i am right before i print it i would be very gratefull :D

20180110_230718.jpg

20180110_230645.jpg

20180110_231419.jpg

Also take in to account that once hardened, the helmet opening can be sanded/cut/trimmed away so that your giant noggin will fit.I had the same issue.....The opening was too small for my head but the overall size was 10-12% too big. I cut away until I could get the helmet on. If you size it up until your head fits, theoverall size will be huge and you will develop bobbleheadidus.....
giphy (30).gif

Also take in to account that once hardened, the helmet opening can be sanded/cut/trimmed away so that your giant noggin will fit.I had the same issue.....The opening was too small for my head but the overall size was 10-12% too big. I cut away until I could get the helmet on. If you size it up until your head fits, theoverall size will be huge and you will develop bobbleheadidus.....
View attachment 252087
Bobbleheadidus.... Is that official word in 405th dictionary?

Bobbleheadedness. Sounds like a word to me

Third helmet sure as hell would fit into that category. Big, like way too big. Wa way way way tooooooooo big (Not too happy)

20180113_002327.jpg

So i continued work on something else. The neck and back parts. These came out quite well. After hardening i will make the neck seal ring a little bigger as its a tight fit now.

20180114_223319.jpg

20180114_223337.jpg

And something else. Got quite the motor pool now :D

20180114_224526.jpg

Also take in to account that once hardened, the helmet opening can be sanded/cut/trimmed away

I second that this route is probably the way you should go. Make the helmet to fit the height, width, and depth of your head, and worry about making the opening for once you have that down.

There are some types of helmets, that having been designed in a digital environment and never having an actual full scale physical model, before costumers just don't work in real life. The most common example is the Clonetrooper helmets from Episode II and III. Their neck openings do not work in real life, so to get a helmet that looks accurate in real life, most clones have to split the helmet in half and have it stay secured together with magnets.

Just something to keep in mind, worry about the overall for and then you can finangle the opening after it is done.

worry about the overall for and then you can finangle the opening after it is done.

Good idea. i also read the pep how to in the armory wich gave me an idea on how to get the size right. first make the neck seal rim. if that its, even if a little on the small side, i'll just keep going and make it wider after the hardening stage :cool:

shameless doublepost here but i wanted to share my thoughts. while bored i decided to scrible some strapping ideas in paint.

first i'll explain the colors i used.
-red: chest armour, the belt buckle, cod piece and hip guards
-black thing below the head: the neck and back piece with the neck seal
-black lines on upper legs: thigh guards
-green lines: the prominent shoulder straps
-blue lines: ideas fro strapping, eventually some backpack snap buckles will be installed
-orange lines second pic: elastic stretchy fabric

so most of the weight will be resting on the neck seal part. i plan to put some foam padding in it until it fits comfortably. from there two line of straps run down to the chest amour, could even connect them to the shoulder straps (green).

the chest piece then connects to the belt (lower blue horizontal line). the cod piece will be connected to the belt buckle. the two me straps run down front and back to the thigh guard to prevent it from sliding down.

and to keep the side of the chest armour, two "lose"plates" in place these will have to be connected to the lower side parts of the neck and back plates.

strappin plans.jpg

now if i glue the whole neck and back together it will be a solid piece and hinder any movement. one goal is to make the whole armor so i can bend over and touch the floor with my fingers. a rigid back piece would make it rathe difficult. so the four parts will be interconnected with elastic fabric to allow a certain stretch while also giving me some freedom of movement.

strappin plans_back.jpg

so, what are your thoughts on these plans. i know i am planning quite far ahead for someone still in the pepping phase but i do like to make these plans and have them ready once i reach that point.

So i got a lot of things going on right now. Not a bad thing.

While I have been quiet for a while i have been pepping away for a while. Chest armour and neck and back are done. Same goes for the hip and huge butt plate. And of course the cod piece. Next up is the stuff for the legs

20180131_202103.jpg

20180131_201423.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back