The new Pokemon game, X and Y.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozensnot

(This thread seems completely out of place :D) Okay, so I hope I'm not the only one here on the 405th that has pre-ordered one of the new Pokemon games. I'm not going to justify myself either by playing Pokemon :p I may be older than 20 but I'm still a kid at heart. So here's a little background. Some of my best childhood memories was when I got the Yellow version for Christmas. I couldn't thank my parents enough I was so excited. If I remember right I don't remember saying anything because I was so stoked. With the new Pokemon, they are having the 1st generation starters in the next one. I'm not sure if you have to find them or what but I'm hoping that this newer Pokemon game will help re-kindle that fire a little bit.

I will have to say that I only progressed up to Ruby/Sapphire and Fire red/Leaf Green. The generations after that didn't seem that all interesting. It probably didn't help that I didn't even have a DS. I was more interested into FPS and RTS games. But now I'm thinking I want to get back into Pokemon. Maybe because of the fact that X and Y will be more 3-D than ever before, has piqued my interest again.

Are there any other Pokemon fans out there getting X or Y?

Im gettting both X and Y. (going to play Y) Just to get all three starters faster, and my friend to broke right now so I'm getting X for him.

Pokemon Versions I played Red, Yellow, Fire Red, Platinum, Black 1&2. I still remember Playing pokemon TCG at Toy r US for pokemon league, got 7 badges before the league ended.
Favorite Pokemon: Alakazam. Favorite type:psychic
Side Note: I got a shinny Metagross after hatching 321 eggs. I believe in the Masuda method and it paid off. :) (I got SOOOOO MANYYYY Beldums)

SO who else want to be a Pokemon Master?

I have been a fan of Pokémon since I first got Yellow on the GBC, but have recently neglected the series, and if I had a 3ds I would definitely get it, may be able to play my brothers copy of x, which he received today in the mail, which is a bit odd.

I haven't bought a nintendo product in years because the only ROI was my time playing pokemon, I miss it but not worth buying a 3ds.

I do plan on peping out a charmander, my first pick back in the days of RBY.

I wish nintendo would just make their games for other platforms.

Side Note: I got a shinny Metagross after hatching 321 eggs. I believe in the Masuda method and it paid off. :) (I got SOOOOO MANYYYY Beldums)

SO who else want to be a Pokemon Master?
Speaking of shiny, The only ones I have ever found in the wild that were shiny was a spearow and a golbat. Those were all in the silver version.

I haven't bought a nintendo product in years because the only ROI was my time playing pokemon, I miss it but not worth buying a 3ds.

I do plan on peping out a charmander, my first pick back in the days of RBY.

I wish nintendo would just make their games for other platforms.
Pokemon is so limited, it could be so great on more powerful platforms but Nintendo would never allow it. I personally think putting pokemon on the PC would be awesome. I can understand though who Nintendo is marketing to, but they could make the pokemon so detailed and...awesome on the PC. One can dream right? :)

Been a Pokemon fan since the original (well, original in the US) Blue and Red. Started at age 10, just like in the Pokemon world, and now at age 27 I still enjoy the games thoroughly. I've played each generation (admittedly a bit behind the releases for most of them). So far, X/Y is on the list of generations I won't be playing right away, simply because I don't have a 3DS, or even an income with which to purchase one, but I do plan on getting the games at some point. Just hoping the new generation isn't as gimmicky and poorly contrived as the majority of the BW generation. Sentient ice cream cones and garbage bags? Not the best. I know they're already continuing that trend with the sentient "ghost" swords. Hopefully that will be the end of it.

I do have to agree, in part, with Largo. With both the Wii and the Wii U being internet ready (not to mention free access, unlike the subscription based PSN and XBL), the "limitations" that kept Pokemon on the portable scene are gone. Why is it that the portables get the deeper games while the consoles get nothing but watered down battles and mini games? Even Coliseum and Gale of Darkness on the Gamecube were very, very watered down experiences compared to the portable games. Nintendo has the hardware to make a fully immersive console-based Pokemon game, capable of online social interactions, trading, battling, sharing, etc.. The only thing the consoles can't do easily is retailer-exclusive release events. But if the Wii U controller can function as a portable device, or has a memory storage unit like the Wii-mote did (enabling us to save our Battle Revolution team to the remote and use them on a different console), those could be used for such events in place of the traditional portable systems. Kinda feels like Nintendo is wasting their potential by not expanding the pokemon universe onto the console in more serious ventures. I'd say that Pokemon X/Y would be better for the console, while console games like Pokemon Rumble would be better suited to the portables.

I'll be buying it for my girlfriend, unfortunately she only has a Lite, so looks like I'm buying her a new console too.

Well played, Nintendo.

I played from Red/Blue up to Soul Silver, then sold my DS, so I'm a little behind, but the girlfriend is up to date and I've seen her play before. I kinda feel like Nintendo are running out of ideas if I'm honest, too many new-gen Pokemon are clearly just household objects with faces. The improvement on the graphics and general display, on the other hand, is pretty sick. I won't be dishing out for a 3DS. Nintendo were kind enough to offer me a 3DS with, guess what... no 3d. So I'll be going with the cheaper 2DS alternative.

I'll probably have a go on her game at some point, maybe if I get the spare cash I'll get the opposite game to her and start my own up on her console. Whether I like it or not is anybody's guess.

I'm also interested in Mega Evolutions, they look awesome. (Some of them look awesome.)

Spartan-420 said:
I'm also interested in Mega Evolutions, they look awesome. (Some of them look awesome.)

They do look cool (the black Mega-Charizard is pretty slick), but to be honest I was a bit appalled when I learned about the "mega evolution" gimmick. For one, it is just that, a gimmick. But more importantly, it's an old gimmick that was done by Pokemon's "rival" franchise, Digimon. I mean think about it, a wrist-worn device that, when activated, gives a huge boost in size and abilities for the duration of a single confrontation, that has Digimon scrawled all over it like red crayon on the walls of a schizophrenic's padded cell. You certainly hit the nail on the head: the Pokemon Company's creative department has completely run out of good ideas, which seems ridiculous considering how many good ideas they've ignored over the years. Coming up on over 800 different pokemon, and yet thus far there hasn't been a single wolf or decent western/quadruped dragon yet (the "Goodyear blimp" Salamence doesn't count), and there's still plenty of dinosaur-related ideas that have been ignored (where are the raptors?) and really, who would say no to some less cutesy yet still small-sized Pokemon? I've always been partial to the "fire lizards" from Anne McCaffrey's "Dragonriders of Pern" books, and Japanese anime/manga certainly aren't lacking in shoulder-riding mini badasses. I know the Pokemon games were originally geared towards kids, but not only were adults picking up the games back then, but those who started the games as kids have all grown up, and many of us (as this thread is evidence of) are still sticking around. Why not put in a few pokemon that appeal to the older players a bit more?

And speaking of appealing to the older players, anyone else think it would be cool if we could set the age of our trainers? Sure, there would need to be a bit of creative writing to set the tone for why someone passed the age of 10 was only now getting their first pokemon, but really, it doesn't have to be any more complicated than "just didn't get around to it." Let's face it, there have to be just as many distractions and obligations for people in the Pokemon world as there are in the real world. Got to finish school, maybe secondary school, have to get a job to help the family, etc., plenty of reasons why a person simply didn't have the time to go on a journey just yet.

And how cool would it be to actually be able to pursue a course other than the standard "beat 8 gyms, challenge the league, and catch all the pokey-mans?" There have been some smaller side quests, like contests and stage performances, but they offer nothing really to make them feel like "main focus" material.

Like a lot of others that have responded, I started playing in 1998 and now my friends call me "pokedex". I don't mind though because I've always been one of the guys that learns everything I can about a game so that I can help other people either play better or learn something new. over the past few gens of pokemon I haven't been buying them as they come out but waiting till they're a little cheaper and now I will have to wait till I can get a 3DS to play this one anyway.
I can definitely say that the mega-evolution seems a little bit much, but really interesting all at the same time.

I think Shiny are alot more easier now OR WE just Very LUCKY. I just got a Shinny Hariyama in pokemon Y Last night. My friend found his first pokemon after the the tutorial. (after the pidgey fight and how to catch a pokemon) A shinny Scatterbug, and My other friend Russ found a shinny Ledyba shortly after. My friend Spencer IS very jealous because he's love bug pokemon. Side note he also cosplay a bug trainer at Jafax every year and Challenge people to pokemon battle.

So anyone else found any shinny pokemon In X or Y yet? IF so what Pokemon is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back