the right product for the job

Status
Not open for further replies.

mabolzichjjl

Jr Member
Well Im not sure if this is the right place to ask but i learned about smooth on products here and wasn't sure where else i could ask. Plus i couldn't post in another part of the forum.

ill get down to it.
Im tryin to cast some car parts but Im not sure what would be the best product combination of products to use. my requirements is that the casting material must be able to hold its shape, paintable, durable and above all VERY impact resistant. i dont want cracking a few days down the road. fiberglass is out of the question as it is the material Im trying to replace.

what product(s) would you advise?

Mods, feel free to relocate this thread if its in a poor location

im going to start by saying i now nothing about casting, but i do think it would help people help you if they knew what you where trying to cast, such as which parts.

Nothing will be anywhere near as good as fiberglass for automotive applications (well other than metal... which you COULD do...)

But I understand that ABS is the strongest of the plastics, not sure how well it takes paint though. Next bet would be some acrylic but I think those can shatter easier than other plastics. But I understand if you do the right thing to ABS it can be pretty paintable.

The part Im attempting to remake is the lower part of a front bumper. its the entire width of the car. Theorigional part is made of fiberglass but where its located its prone to curbs and speed bumps. the fiberglass has already been cracked and repaired and thrashed some more. Im tired of fixing it and the piece is no longer made so its up to me to remakeit if i want to keep it

does smooth on make an abs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back