Thinner EVA Foam mats ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manu

So i have to build some parts for my armor (helmet, forearm, shoulder, bicep) again since they don`t fit me anymore. I bought new foam mats recently and they are around 3-4 mm`s thinner than the ones i used previously.
Now i just wanted to ask if its a problem if the mats are a bit thinner or if i just can keep on building as i always did.
Thanks in advance and have a great day

Last edited:
Depending on the density of the foam you could get away with using a thinner mat.
If the foam is the same density as the foam you are currently using or softer then you could run into structural issues like a floppy helmet.

floppy helmet.

Nobody wants that. :p

If you had 1/2" foam originally and are now working with 1/3" there's not a major difference as long as your seams still aligned and glued properly since those are what are going to be giving you the most strength to the shape overall. If you've dropped below a 1/4" then I'd start worrying about strength of the main body of your build.

Something I've done to help out flimsy pieces before is to cut a small trench and use hangar wire or thin aluminum sheeting to add extra strength to a curve that is floating or not supported by other pieces. Usually if it's not visible I'll tack it in place with hot glue or cover it with craft foam and hot glue to keep possible sharp edges hidden.

Nobody wants that. :p

If you had 1/2" foam originally and are now working with 1/3" there's not a major difference as long as your seams still aligned and glued properly since those are what are going to be giving you the most strength to the shape overall. If you've dropped below a 1/4" then I'd start worrying about strength of the main body of your build.

Something I've done to help out flimsy pieces before is to cut a small trench and use hangar wire or thin aluminum sheeting to add extra strength to a curve that is floating or not supported by other pieces. Usually if it's not visible I'll tack it in place with hot glue or cover it with craft foam and hot glue to keep possible sharp edges hidden.
Thanks for your advice on this subject.
My mats now are 1/3"s so it should work out.
I am still trying to figure out if i should use PlastiDip or PVA glue for sealing my new helmet.
I am tending towards PVA since i used it for my first helmet and it has been pretty solid but on the other hand, PVA glue tends to crack once its dried.

Thanks for your advice on this subject.
My mats now are 1/3"s so it should work out.
I am still trying to figure out if i should use PlastiDip or PVA glue for sealing my new helmet.
I am tending towards PVA since i used it for my first helmet and it has been pretty solid but on the other hand, PVA glue tends to crack once its dried.

I've tried several methods for sealing EVA and it honestly depends on finish quality for what I use. PVA or liquid latex if I want a more natural texture (skin, wood, etc.) or PlastiDip or RustOleum Flexidip if I want a clean surface such as metal. I've been using FlexiDip more frequently since it's half the price per can in Canada compared to PlastiDip but find it's less capable at gap and dent filling because it's a much finer spray. Long story short, my preference is PlastiDip for armour if I've left some surface damage, FlexiDip if I'm feeling broke and I've sanded and smoothed the surface to an acceptable level.

I've tried several methods for sealing EVA and it honestly depends on finish quality for what I use. PVA or liquid latex if I want a more natural texture (skin, wood, etc.) or PlastiDip or RustOleum Flexidip if I want a clean surface such as metal. I've been using FlexiDip more frequently since it's half the price per can in Canada compared to PlastiDip but find it's less capable at gap and dent filling because it's a much finer spray. Long story short, my preference is PlastiDip for armour if I've left some surface damage, FlexiDip if I'm feeling broke and I've sanded and smoothed the surface to an acceptable level.
How many coats of plastidip do you go for (given its expense)?

How many coats of plastidip do you go for (given its expense)?

Usually three to be safe, four for a smoother finish. This is with average coats, not absolutely soaking the piece.

Usually three to be safe, four for a smoother finish. This is with average coats, not absolutely soaking the piece.
Thank you for your advice, i was originally planning on using only two coats but if it makes the armorpieces look better, im gonna go for three.
*sigh* if only PlastiDip wasn`t that expensive where i live...

Thank you for your advice, i was originally planning on using only two coats but if it makes the armorpieces look better, im gonna go for three.
*sigh* if only PlastiDip wasn`t that expensive where i live...
$22 a can on the West Coast of Canada. I feel you.

I believe it is. Was there recently and saw it. Was priced at $11 CAD.

Awesome. I'll have to check it out since that's like a dollar cheaper than FlexiDip. Maybe I'll test it out on my AER14 when it comes around to painting time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back