Thoughts on halo reach campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unlike the Spartan-IIs, the IIIs didn't have any combat experience before fighting the Covenant. The IIs fought for years against the Insurrectionists, who were very crafty and devious (remember the truck-tyre bombs from Contact Harvest?). That's one of the things that made Chief and the other IIs so deadly: they were just as cunning and they did crazy stuff. Instead of going through the station to the Pelican's docking bay, Jorge just floated over nonchalantly, probably the only daredevil moment in the whole game. The IIIs act more like ODSTs with awesome armour.

Sure, the slipspace bomb was a daring idea, but Kat just copied an earlier accident. When Chief jumped out of Cairo station, did he say that he read about this in a mission report? Nope. . .

i thought it got really depressing after kat died, the rest of the spartans started getting picked off after that!

my honest opinion: plot hole mania

1: spartan III's on reach...WTF

2: ma37=tricked out ma5c. not even a 60 round clip.

3: they used halo 3 pelicans...i liked the halo ce pleicans :(

4: enemies were novel-strong instead of game-stong (read the books, they are invincible to almost anything but an explosion)

5:pillar of autum pelican: should have halo 1 marines instead of the normal troppers and should be like plot hole 3

6: jun taking hasley to save place. anyone on the bungie reach team read halo: first strike?

7:ending after credits 1: yeah because a helmet can SOOOO survive concentrated plasma being rained down from space.

8: ending after credits 2: it would take WAY longer than 30 years for a planet turned into glass to go back to green pastures and beautiful mountains.

9: this is more of a attention to detail one: pilar of autem should not have that many lifepod bays on the bottom (where the liftoff thrusters were attached.) and the ships bridge was missing and the area below that was completley different

new: http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/Hydro_hedgehog/pillarnew.jpg

original: http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/Hydro_hedgehog/pillar_of_autumn_screen.jpg

didnt bungie say this game is not based off of the books.
its their story so they decided to make the fall of reach happen their own way.

even though the books are so good :)

Yes, but at the same time, I can see after reading Halsey's journal that it can very well still tie into the books. Like Halsey's comment that all of the spartans where there for the briefing on John's mission to capture a prophet. In the Journal she says I dont know why I said that with gray team jorge and others werent there. jokingly she says I bet this will come back to haunt me.

Bungie simply said they weren't doing a game adaptation of Nylund's book, not that the book is completely irrelevant. They did say that whatever is in their newest game is the most accurate Halo lore, so for any discrepancies between the two, Reach the game over-rides Reach the book.

yeah I get that, same with star wars. with that even the cartoons come ahead of the comics and novels

Hey, i loved the game! why dont you guys just get off the details and just enjoy bungie's LAST game.

i liked the campaign. All f you are complaining about not being as awesome as a spartan as u were in halo 1 2 & 3. But remember, in reach, you are a team of spartans, not a lone wolf like MC. Bungie said the campaign was going to be slow moving, and i liked that fact. When it started to kick off when Jorge died, i did feel more like an MC campaign if u know what i mean. After that, i liked the idea of saving civilians. Helping people escape from reach, it showed u the shear destruction the covenant were capable of (when they started gassing the planet in the falcon mission), it was good to see a gentler side of the war. It could be a little dull at times.

Also, wasn't MC a different class of spartan than to six carter emile etc. i may be wrong there, but there might be physical differences if he was, and master chief was said to be very lucky :p Kat's death was unexpected, even tho i knew she was going to die, i loved her death scene, once again illustrating the war very well :p i see why u can all be disappointed because master chief set a very high standard with halo campaigns.
the only two things i am disappointed in are:
1. not making what happened to Jun clear, everyone is a bit baffled by his case
2. NO BLOODY LEGENDARY ENDING ARRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I haven't played Reach yet, but reading this thread just makes me think "Bungie what have you done?!?!" The entire Halo canon has been pretty tightly wound up to this point; everything fits together into one great universe. I can't help but think that in Reach, the carefully crafted and fantastic backstory has been thrown to the wind in favor of some cheap eye-candy. Like they said, "yeah, half the backstory doesn't make any sense now, but it looks cool when you play it." I know Bungie says they always put gameplay before story, but they absolutely MAULED the two best stories in the series (Fall of Reach and First Strike). They could have made the game just as good without demolishing the best Halo ever put in book form.

Don't get me wrong, when I get a chance to play Reach I'm almost sure I'll really enjoy it, but even if all the holes Reach left in the backstory can be kinda explained, everything just fit together more crisply before. Bungie just put a massive crack in the Halo mythos, and I don't think the tradeoff is worth it in the long run.

My final hope is that Nylund's Fall of Reach rewrite is even more epic than the old one, but somehow I doubt it will be.

I think that the halo population spun up reach to be ten times more awesome than it really was and that ended up being its downfall (I agre on the subject of jun's fate :p)

i personally loved the campaign but the ending, sadly, wasnt too great. i mean i could sum it all up in a few words keyes "GET ON THE PELICAN!" six "no. i wanna stay and make the corvette go boom"
*pelican flies off*
*six gets on MAC cannon*
*game ends*
however i did love the ending fight sequence where six throws off his helmet and takes of that gang of elites. i just wish they said what happened to jun! ge was my 2nd favorite character (behind jorge) and i think i have a right to know where he went lol

Bungie wanted to do their own story. They did great making all the spartans having pasts and explained why they were on noble team etc. There is a reason there are other spartans on REACH(they even mention ECHO in the game cut scene) however what baffles me...is as great a story of this team is...they totally didn't tie it in with ANYTHING else. With all these other teams out their fighting, we don't see RED or Blue team at all? Not even in space?? I mean ****...the Pillar of Autumn was on REACH...so if you are going to change that ...might as well show some other Spartans. Its an ENTIRE planet, sure we are a small team on an epic scale but I am sure more that 6 spartans are going to be around Sword Base. sorry for the rant.

EDIT: I played on normal mode and apparently in legendary their are easter eggs.

Bungie wanted to do their own story. They did great making all the spartans having pasts and explained why they were on noble team etc. There is a reason there are other spartans on REACH(they even mention ECHO in the game cut scene) however what baffles me...is as great a story of this team is...they totally didn't tie it in with ANYTHING else. With all these other teams out their fighting, we don't see RED or Blue team at all? Not even in space?? I mean ****...the Pillar of Autumn was on REACH...so if you are going to change that ...might as well show some other Spartans. Its an ENTIRE planet, sure we are a small team on an epic scale but I am sure more that 6 spartans are going to be around Sword Base. sorry for the rant.

EDIT: I played on normal mode and apparently in legendary their are easter eggs.

I played on all three difficulties, the same easter eggs are found in the other difficulties. There is a huge difference in "city/Falcon" level (don't want to spoil anything); an easter egg is found on Normal and Heroic, but not on Legendary.

The only major easter egg I found was on the area which is the Glacier where you can see the game artwork and info, what other easter eggs are there?

The only major easter egg I found was on the area which is the Glacier where you can see the game artwork and info, what other easter eggs are there?

Spartan II in cryo hidden in last cut scene on spirit of Autumn (and of The pillar of Autumn)
Hidden room with tribute to John and Cortana in The Package

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back