Time To Make A Difference! ~ India

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premasunshine96

Heya All!
So there isn't an India Regiment and I have NO people that I know of here in India that do any Halo related cosplays.
I figured it's time to make a change in my cosplay society! I know that a mere Halo cosplay does not usually get any prizes and whatnot but THIS isn't about winning a title! It's about living the moment!

I want to start on my first Halo cosplay! I'd like the advice from all the Spartans and Master Chiefs out there to help this 5'6 Tiny Recruit!

I know that many would suggest that a newbie should try for Mark V..But I would really like to start with the Hayabusa! (I have a thing for Ninjas/Samurais lol)...Maybe with bigger shoulders though..? 'cuz I am on the slender side ':D

I've worked with Pepakura before but I don't remember about measurements and scaling. I have cosplayed with Worbla but really interested in working on Bondo/Rondo, etc :)

Image Reference (Error Uploading)
1 - https://i.pinimg.com/originals/04/9e/b6/049eb63eb4bee3b14b8bb537bf58dd6d.jpg
2 - https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...saArmor.png/revision/latest?cb=20090722052134

Heya All!
So there isn't an India Regiment and I have NO people that I know of here in India that do any Halo related cosplays.
I figured it's time to make a change in my cosplay society! I know that a mere Halo cosplay does not usually get any prizes and whatnot but THIS isn't about winning a title! It's about living the moment!

I want to start on my first Halo cosplay! I'd like the advice from all the Spartans and Master Chiefs out there to help this 5'6 Tiny Recruit!

I know that many would suggest that a newbie should try for Mark V..But I would really like to start with the Hayabusa! (I have a thing for Ninjas/Samurais lol)...Maybe with bigger shoulders though..? 'cuz I am on the slender side ':D

I've worked with Pepakura before but I don't remember about measurements and scaling. I have cosplayed with Worbla but really interested in working on Bondo/Rondo, etc :)

Image Reference (Error Uploading)
1 - https://i.pinimg.com/originals/04/9e/b6/049eb63eb4bee3b14b8bb537bf58dd6d.jpg
2 - https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...saArmor.png/revision/latest?cb=20090722052134

Welcome to the community and best of luck with starting up an Indian Halo costuming group!

5'6" isn't too much of an issue, I'm fairly short at 5'9" and can fill out armour just fine. If you add a riser into your boot and account for the extra height from a helmet you'll be pushing 6'0" no problem. Armour like this also beefs you up, makes you look like a refrigerator and being short kind of just falls out of the equation because you're just a mass of plating that's looking like a boss.

Hayabusa will definitely be a fun build with all the detailing. I highly recommend Armorsmith for help scaling. You can create a custom avatar that's based off a few dozen measurements of your body and then you can scale pepakura files around the avatar. It's extremely useful and very user friendly.

If you have any more questions about building a costume or need some help with starting up a community feel free to ask them, the 405th is a welcoming place and there's a huge wealth of knowledge here to tap into.

Welcome to the community and best of luck with starting up an Indian Halo costuming group!

5'6" isn't too much of an issue, I'm fairly short at 5'9" and can fill out armour just fine. If you add a riser into your boot and account for the extra height from a helmet you'll be pushing 6'0" no problem. Armour like this also beefs you up, makes you look like a refrigerator and being short kind of just falls out of the equation because you're just a mass of plating that's looking like a boss.

Hayabusa will definitely be a fun build with all the detailing. I highly recommend Armorsmith for help scaling. You can create a custom avatar that's based off a few dozen measurements of your body and then you can scale pepakura files around the avatar. It's extremely useful and very user friendly.

If you have any more questions about building a costume or need some help with starting up a community feel free to ask them, the 405th is a welcoming place and there's a huge wealth of knowledge here to tap into.

Thank you so much Sir Turbo! I will definitely consider that!

I can see that the Hayabusa does not really have a complete set of armor...so what model do you suggest that I can merge with the Hayabusa? (Legs, Arms, Waist, etc.)

lol well do you think I can use heels (NOT like those thin ones) that can help with the lift? idk if it'll affect the walking movement...

I can see that the Hayabusa does not really have a complete set of armor...so what model do you suggest that I can merge with the Hayabusa? (Legs, Arms, Waist, etc.)

lol well do you think I can use heels (NOT like those thin ones) that can help with the lift? idk if it'll affect the walking movement...
I believe that the hyabusa chest is just a piece that goes on top of the original Halo 3 armor (not sure about the Halo 4 and 5 versions)
as for heels, yes technically you could use them, but heels are bad for your feet and would affect your walking. I would recommend just having a tall base to the shoe

From what I remember the base of all Halo 3 armour sets is the Mk VI MJOLNIR for the boots, shins, thighs, cod, gauntlets/vambraces and biceps. Then you add in the alterations of the shoulders/pauldrons, helmet and chest piece which by the sounds of it you've already downloaded from here.

For the shoe riser you can go a few different routes depending on your construction plan. If you want a very tight fitting boot cover you can get in-shoe wedge inserts that basically add an internal heel to your shoe which gives you the same traction and mobility of your shoe with a Spartan boot cover. Or if you want to go with the chunky super sized foot look you can basically build up a platform inside the cosmetic boot with a permanently affixed shoe inside which is slightly less in the maneuverability side of things but it looks the part when it comes to scaling a normal human body to superhuman proportions.

I took the second route with my Reach Spartan and sacrificed an old pair of skate shoes which have been long since the point of watertight integrity and built them onto a plywood platform with a foam sole for sake of traction. All pressure is put onto the wooden panel and the boot cover receives no stress so there won't be any warping or deforming over time from walking.

Hi Premasunshine96 and welcome! I've been to India and think the world of it! Good luck on building a Halo group.

I used heel lifts in my suit, these ones. I'm 5'9" out of the suit and 6'1" in the suit. I wouldn't say they are uncomfortable, but it is not good to walk like this for too long with all that weight on your body.

For Bondo/Rondo check out Cereal killer's videos. He's considered the gold standard. (found also in the Tutorial Index) You can also check out my build thread where I've listed many of the same steps with my own twist on them. I also have an extensive materials list in my first post you might find useful.
Duke's Custom Reach Suit Pep +photos!! *COMPLETE*

I believe that the hyabusa chest is just a piece that goes on top of the original Halo 3 armor (not sure about the Halo 4 and 5 versions)
as for heels, yes technically you could use them, but heels are bad for your feet and would affect your walking. I would recommend just having a tall base to the shoe

Thank you Lt. Jaku! and for your concern for my feet lol...
Hmm.. I'll have to look for something of the sort here in India then.. :) will hopefully find something to keep my feet flat ;)

From what I remember the base of all Halo 3 armour sets is the Mk VI MJOLNIR for the boots, shins, thighs, cod, gauntlets/vambraces and biceps. Then you add in the alterations of the shoulders/pauldrons, helmet and chest piece which by the sounds of it you've already downloaded from here.

For the shoe riser you can go a few different routes depending on your construction plan. If you want a very tight fitting boot cover you can get in-shoe wedge inserts that basically add an internal heel to your shoe which gives you the same traction and mobility of your shoe with a Spartan boot cover. Or if you want to go with the chunky super sized foot look you can basically build up a platform inside the cosmetic boot with a permanently affixed shoe inside which is slightly less in the maneuverability side of things but it looks the part when it comes to scaling a normal human body to superhuman proportions.

I took the second route with my Reach Spartan and sacrificed an old pair of skate shoes which have been long since the point of watertight integrity and built them onto a plywood platform with a foam sole for sake of traction. All pressure is put onto the wooden panel and the boot cover receives no stress so there won't be any warping or deforming over time from walking.

1st part -
I just found that out from my uncle (turns out to be a regiment commander here o.o) about the rest of the suit and yes that is the same thing he told me to use as a base ^-^ woot!

Rest of the parts -
very interesting, sounds like a piece of work lol I may need to see a picture of the structure of ur boot(s) to actually understand it if you have no problem at all for sharing :)

Hi Premasunshine96 and welcome! I've been to India and think the world of it! Good luck on building a Halo group.

I used heel lifts in my suit, these ones. I'm 5'9" out of the suit and 6'1" in the suit. I wouldn't say they are uncomfortable, but it is not good to walk like this for too long with all that weight on your body.

For Bondo/Rondo check out Cereal killer's videos. He's considered the gold standard. (found also in the Tutorial Index) You can also check out my build thread where I've listed many of the same steps with my own twist on them. I also have an extensive materials list in my first post you might find useful.
Duke's Custom Reach Suit Pep +photos!! *COMPLETE*

About the feet -
huh...so you put them inside ur shoe? I'd definitely have to buy bigger shoes then lol :) thank you for that idea ^_^

About Cereal Kill3r -
I have gone through Cereal Kill3r's videos (probably 5 times now xD) and they were a great help in understanding Resin and Bondo

About Yourself -
Everything is better with a twist ;) I am really thankful for you sharing that with me <3 looking forward to having ur innovative ideas on board B)

About the feet -
huh...so you put them inside ur shoe? I'd definitely have to buy bigger shoes then lol :) thank you for that idea ^_^

About Yourself -
Everything is better with a twist ;) I am really thankful for you sharing that with me <3 looking forward to having ur innovative ideas on board B)

No problem! Message me any time if you need help.

Yes, specifically inserting it under the removalable rubber lining if possible. I tried the just putting it in the shoe like normal, but the heel lift was smaller diameter than my heel so it was like standing on a rock!

I bought an army boot a half size larger than normal. Fits snuggly with the lift.

*edit I feel like we're focusing on the height too much. You can make a bad*** Spartan event at 5'6" I've seen it done. Adding 3-4" to the legs can present some real tough challenges for scaling. I'll second getting Armorsmith no matter what. It lets you scale single dimensions in pep files, like make them shorter or longer without affecting the width.

Last edited:
No problem! Message me any time if you need help.

Yes, specifically inserting it under the removalable rubber lining if possible. I tried the just putting it in the shoe like normal, but the heel lift was smaller diameter than my heel so it was like standing on a rock!

I bought an army boot a half size larger than normal. Fits snuggly with the lift.

*edit I feel like we're focusing on the height too much. You can make a bad*** Spartan event at 5'6" I've seen it done. Adding 3-4" to the legs can present some real tough challenges for scaling. I'll second getting Armorsmith no matter what. It lets you scale single dimensions in pep files, like make them shorter or longer without affecting the width.

Lol I get you xD SO I am planning on trying for the Armorsmith BUT it's only compatible on Windows (I have a Mac >.>...need It for film editing T-T) so trying to figure out what exactly to do about it... Commander Rob from the Southern Regiment is gonna get back to me on that :)

So! Now that I've got Ideas about what to do for adding height and a software that would be extremely helpful to use...

How about Scaling? Basic Measurements on the body I should think about (I know you usually have to add another 1 n 1/2 inch to everything)?

Buckling/Strapping armor together?

How about any painting ideas? :p

So! Now that I've got Ideas about what to do for adding height and a software that would be extremely helpful to use...

How about Scaling? Basic Measurements on the body I should think about (I know you usually have to add another 1 n 1/2 inch to everything)?

Buckling/Strapping armor together?

How about any painting ideas? :p

It honestly depends on the individual part when it comes to scaling. Obviously too small of a piece isn't going to work in the slightest, oversized is a bit less of a concern since padding and strapping can be added to make sure everything stays in place when worn.

The method I use for a rough guideline is to scale it on the form in Armorsmith so that there's no intersection between armour pieces and the avatar and then scale up a few percent with 5% being my maximum. The most important part in my opinion though is that everything looks consistent to the character which might mean a bit of tweaking is needed since very few of us are seven foot tall genetically engineered super soldiers.

Painting is my jam. If you ever want to get into specifics I can talk all day about various ways to paint. I'm not exactly sure what resources you have available to you locally but to get a nice even colour you can't beat a can of spray paint that's been carefully applied.

It honestly depends on the individual part when it comes to scaling. Obviously too small of a piece isn't going to work in the slightest, oversized is a bit less of a concern since padding and strapping can be added to make sure everything stays in place when worn.

The method I use for a rough guideline is to scale it on the form in Armorsmith so that there's no intersection between armour pieces and the avatar and then scale up a few percent with 5% being my maximum. The most important part in my opinion though is that everything looks consistent to the character which might mean a bit of tweaking is needed since very few of us are seven foot tall genetically engineered super soldiers.

Painting is my jam. If you ever want to get into specifics I can talk all day about various ways to paint. I'm not exactly sure what resources you have available to you locally but to get a nice even colour you can't beat a can of spray paint that's been carefully applied.

Hmmm point about the scaling :) Will keep that in mind <3

I'm still working on ways to use Armorsmith...does anyone know how to use it on Wineskin Winery? Man I do wish we were Genetically engineered super soldiers..would look so boss.

Painting is always gonna be my thing <3 But since this is gonna be my first time working on Resin and Bondo, Is there specific paints u use? (We have a lot of painting material here no worries!) :D

Hmmm point about the scaling :) Will keep that in mind <3

I'm still working on ways to use Armorsmith...does anyone know how to use it on Wineskin Winery? Man I do wish we were Genetically engineered super soldiers..would look so boss.

Painting is always gonna be my thing <3 But since this is gonna be my first time working on Resin and Bondo, Is there specific paints u use? (We have a lot of painting material here no worries!) :D
I just use whatever paint I have on hand, I don't think it turns out any worse. Just don't use a paint if it peels. Also Rust-Oleum cans break easily.

I just use whatever paint I have on hand, I don't think it turns out any worse. Just don't use a paint if it peels. Also Rust-Oleum cans break easily.

Enamels and acrylics don't like to mix well together if they go on in the wrong order or they haven't fully cured. Oil based paints are usable but will take something on the scale of weeks to fully set so be careful when grabbing whatever is closest.

Enamels and acrylics don't like to mix well together if they go on in the wrong order or they haven't fully cured. Oil based paints are usable but will take something on the scale of weeks to fully set so be careful when grabbing whatever is closest.

I do know that, without Varnish, Acrylics peel...I was thinking about spray painting? and for small details using acrylics? does that seem ok or possible to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back