To Sell Or Not To Sell

Should I offer my models for free?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say yes, between the popularity you would get form it and the people who would give joy from being able to build a really good helmet or anything else. I have unfolded a ton of stuff for people and I have'nt asked for payment yet but that might happen if I saw some of my files on another website and I did'nt put them there but thats all that would change that in my opinion. I have a few people that help me with my conversion and breakdown and I do the unfolding of everything so even I did charge for my files I would still be giving a percentage to the people that helped me out. Thats my 2 cents on this.

A rather difficult question... if you decide to offer models for free, then you will lose ownership of them, and people are more likely to steal credit for your work. If you don't offer them for free, you won't see your models "live" and flow readily throughout the environment. However, as always, it's up to you...

I am an open source kind of person but you can have the best of both world... in my be Miley Cyrus voice, scary i know...

Offer a version of your model/Peps that are low res with the basic structure but leave out the detail. Make the Free-mmunity work to get a high definition helm on their own, after all this is an art that many people are working really hard to perfect.

Next offer a highly detailed version that is also available for sale. Render the pieces in Pepakura to the actual size of Tony Stark and print them as a PDF for people to download and assemble (don't allow them to scale in Pepakura). Create a nice manual and step by step instructions with the project and try to make some money.

On the low res version put your website on the pep files and drive traffic to your paid version. This way you still get paid for your work but you can offer the Free-mmunity (I'm going to patten this term!) something to learn more about your work.

But if you really think about it there are still a lot of steps to making a really nice piece regardless of the Pep quality and the real money is in casting and pulling pieces.

I say do both.

I just got back from a road trip, and I have read all the responses. Tomorrow there will be a link to the helmet file in my original iron man thread to download the helmet. Thank you everyone for your responses. The helmet file will still have a price tag attached to it on other sites, but it will be free here. If you have purchased the helmet file from me already I will not be giving out refunds. If you have any questions, shoot me a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back