TomcatHeavy's Reach Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomcatHeavy

Hello all!

I've been biding my time while sorting things out through a recent return from overseas, but after all the necessities were taken are of I decided it was time to break ground with my own build and give back to the community in sharing my own project and experiences along the way. That said, let's have at it.

Most people here are accustomed to the rigors of patterning and pep work, well, you still don't entirely get away from it working with EVA foam (for anyone that is still waiting to take the first step). But, I wanted to take my project a different direction from "go," so here's how that is working.

First, having a good medium to make patterns out of is essential I've found. I haven't wandered far enough or wide enough to come by any honest card stock, but I did find that photo paper works decently well. I got two packs that were on sale, and as an additional plus it plays pretty well with tape. Photo paper is pretty 'closed cell,' so it might make a fairly good pep material too (for reference, photo papers hang around the 70-74lb weight). But, this build will be in foam so I don't suppose it matters!

Second, even though there are 'foam friendly' templates out there they are not a 100% solution to doing a foam build. Unwrapping a 3d image always yields a 2d template; inherently, 2d is just that, the X and Y axis. Thusly, even a "foam friendly" unwrap does not and will not take into account the thickness of the material you are using (the Z axis). So, I'm starting with the largest assemblies, and going to work from the "outside" toward the center.

Third, going about a build this way will be more expensive. I am cutting big pieces - that means less of them fit on a single mat! I'll be saving money on glue, but even though I haven't done the numbers I am pretty sure one glue stick is going to be cheaper than one foam mat. Depending on your ultimate plans, this may or may not be the way you want to roll, but I would encourage anyone to 'consolidate' their pattern pieces as much as is possible under any circumstance - you spend more time with a knife in the long run, but each piece you can combine is one less joint that has to be glued, and one less joint you have to worry about strengthening, or finishing.

Below, I'm working with a few shapes that have been cut out, but I've also made a reverse pattern of each of the pieces and have begun extrapolating parts that technically "aren't there" in the pep model - letting the material's thickness work for me, as well as joining those two 'wings' that extend off of the center panel with a length that will provide good strength.

ec8710c2-457a-432a-941b-090cd8cebf09.jpg

Oh, and save yourself time and effort wherever you can! If you have long straight-aways, align those to the finished edge of the paper (or foam, if yours has one) when you are tracing.

CAM00006.jpg

Back in the Year of our Lord 1997, I was a lot younger and in high school woodshop. I had a teacher that looked like Jesus - that's really the the best way to describe him; Mr. Vargo. But, Mr. Vargo was one heck of a carpenter (ironically enough). One of the lessons he drove home whenever he could was to work with the biggest piece of material that you possibly can. When working around powered saws that was great advice, particularly to the people that were trying to make some custom wooden dice and trying to cut those dice one at a time. Apart from being a lot safer, when working with material like EVA foam, a solid contiguous piece is going to be a lot stronger, and will present a better surface to finish. I want to enjoy this build for a good while, so building it as strong as can be allowed with EVA is entirely in my interests.

You can see the pattern taking shape as I build it out! Everything that is taped together I intend to cut out as one piece, yes, even with all the fold lines. I will actually have to manually transfer the printed fold lines as they lay (which wasn't a problem to do with a straight-edge on the templates), but the nice part about this is I will be able to take a hobby knife and cut the joined pieces along their taped sides and not destroy any of the individual piece templates; I'll be able to trace-in the taped lines on the foam (once separated) without having to grab a ruler and manually plot them. If I need to, I can always tape the individual templates back together in the same spot to re-create the 'master' template. Lastly, as you can see even though I wanted this piece to be one solid cut, it pretty easily got past the 24"x24" of usable area on my foam pieces; I'll have to cut it in half, but that isn't so bad because the center will be behind the 'front panel' and neck collar piece.

CAM00002.jpg

But, as is want to happen on any 3d shape transformed to 2d, sometimes there will be hiccups. The way the unfolds work together is not always ideal, as can be seen in this next pic. Joining the faces that go together on a 2d plane is bound to - at some point - create overlaps; basically when two pieces of the template are trying to occupy the same space at the same time.

CAM00003.jpg

The two template pieces are joined perfectly everywhere else, but if I go through with cutting this in foam I will clip off the little piece that the shadow is cast over. In this case, I am going for it - what I am giving up for having a continuous piece offsets that little sacrifice, and since I am taking the long road to finishing (PVA and SmoothCast) I should be able to fill the little gap that will leave. It took a little while, but I decided on how I wanted to handle the primary 'collar' piece, and it'll fit on a single mat!

CAM00005.jpg

And now the lower 'channels' running along the bottom edge of the rib cage.

a20d6c03-f26f-4b88-9a03-647a0576f5ab.jpg

Well, that's it for now! Once I have these pieces into foam and joined, I will have a lot more options on what I'll be tackling next.

Attachments

• ec8710c2-457a-432a-941b-090cd8cebf09.jpg
    ec8710c2-457a-432a-941b-090cd8cebf09.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 103
  • CAM00006.jpg
    CAM00006.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 111
  • CAM00002.jpg
    CAM00002.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 110
  • CAM00003.jpg
    CAM00003.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 116
  • a20d6c03-f26f-4b88-9a03-647a0576f5ab.jpg
    a20d6c03-f26f-4b88-9a03-647a0576f5ab.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 125
  • CAM00005.jpg
    CAM00005.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 107
This type of preparation is what I love to see!

I also appreciate you have the knowledge to understand the intricacies that transferring from a 3-d graphic to 2d and then back again to a 3d item with the z axis factor brings.

With that, the only suggestion I can offer you is this. Unless you want to have sharp edges where the arrows are, you can close those gaps (just make sure you account for the change in the finished angle) and make the cuts in the back of the EVA to create those compound angles. The only reason why they are there in the pep file is because nobody has created a way (or taken the painstaking time) to depict where the cuts for that specific compound curve should be. Like you stated, a single piece is stronger than multiple joined pieces. Also, it would give you a beautiful "organic" looking curve.

Untitled_zps5f537e1a.jpg

I really look forward to keeping up with your build. Patience and conviction seem apparent traits with you, and that almost always ends in an awesome build!

Attachments

• Untitled_zps5f537e1a.jpg
    Untitled_zps5f537e1a.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 105
This type of preparation is what I love to see!

I also appreciate you have the knowledge to understand the intricacies that transferring from a 3-d graphic to 2d and then back again to a 3d item with the z axis factor brings.

With that, the only suggestion I can offer you is this. Unless you want to have sharp edges where the arrows are, you can close those gaps (just make sure you account for the change in the finished angle) and make the cuts in the back of the EVA to create those compound angles. The only reason why they are there in the pep file is because nobody has created a way (or taken the painstaking time) to depict where the cuts for that specific compound curve should be. Like you stated, a single piece is stronger than multiple joined pieces. Also, it would give you a beautiful "organic" looking curve.

I really look forward to keeping up with your build. Patience and conviction seem apparent traits with you, and that almost always ends in an awesome build!

I appreciate the kind words and great suggestion! As far as figuring out the compound angles without the help of the templates as-cut, I can't say I am up for that task; the prototyping would be a painfully slow and I don't think the effort invested would be worth the result. ;) Besides, in many ways I think the angles inherent with the Reach armor are one of its endearing qualities and serve to set it apart from the MK VI "Master Chief" armor. Still, I'm going to continue trying to combine major assemblies where I can to make life easier and the build stronger.

Actually, I have some of that to put into an update!

I was really pleased to make some good progress on the Reach backplate today, and was able to get a lot of the longer lines joined with the parts that would fit there. If you look closely there are two small corners that are going to be sacrificed - one on each back panel - but I'm going to be okay with that; any more loss however and I would probably scrap the layout and go for something more conservative.

CAM00010.jpg

One thing I was really happy with was coming up with an arrangement for the templates governing the lower border of the Reach backplate. At first, it was going to be this:

CAM00008.jpg

And as you can imagine, that long, thin piece in 1/2" thick foam would be a nightmare to cut or keep from curling or deforming along the way. I stopped working on it to go see a movie with a friend and came back to it with an epiphany. Just by looking at what pieces connected to the same plane, and what angles branched off of that plane I was able to come up with this!

CAM00009.jpg

"Filling in" the structure between pieces is a great way to build strength and ease of assembly, as well as simplify the build overall. But, I'm not quite ready to take all these patterns to foam just yet - next will be adding shelfs and or lap joints to everything that can possibly get one for a perfect storm of strength, ease of assembly, and a superior finish surface.

Attachments

• CAM00009.jpg
    CAM00009.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 113
  • CAM00008.jpg
    CAM00008.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 125
  • CAM00010.jpg
    CAM00010.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 113
Looking good! This is sort of how I tackled some parts of my chest and my iron man helmet!

Can't wait to see how this turns out with the foam! Good luck :)

So, today I was determined to make some headway and I did!

Over the last week I was looking for a box I just couldn't find and ended up breaking down, making the drive, and picking up something I knew I already had.

Sewing push pins! Or ball pins, whatever name you know the by. I quickly found out that combining pattern pieces to make a larger piece makes big pieces - big pieces have longer edge dimensions - and longer edge dimensions means there is proportionately more to trace on each piece. Tracing a large complicated pattern is for people with super steady hands - or, people that have push-pins. They work great.

20140313_120940.jpg

With the pattern traced, I made my first screw-up - I cut the shape out on carpet as opposed to the hefty, hardwood cutting board I have. I was thinking that the blade would be able to move cleaner - it turns out that easy and clean are not the same things. The cuts do come easier - faster, smoother - but at a cost, and that is affectionately referred to as 'tear out' by the woodworking community. It isn't as bad as the following picture all over, just in what I would say are key places. This was disappointing. Another thing to note is that I was cutting from the "rough" face of the foam; well, the best edge a cut produces is from the surface that is facing up. Since I was cutting from what was basically the back side of the foam, the best edge will never be seen. In turn, the 'tear out' was happening because the foam wasn't supported enough when I was cutting it, and because I was cutting from the "rough" face of the foam, that tear out was happening on the presentation surface.

20140313_190616.jpg

That roughness on a 'presentation edge' that is probably the second-most visible assembly of the armor was troubling but it is a few steps in the mile I need to go to muster some skill with this media. I was thinking about scrapping it and cutting a new one, but I decided to stick with it and learn what I could. And who knows! I might be able to save it - I'll get along with the rest of the chest assembly and look at the quality difference when I am ready to put them together.

Back to fun with push-pins, the tracing went very smoothly. Here I'm cutting apart tape that is joining the pattern pieces so I can draw in those lines.

20140313_122313.jpg

I didn't take many more pictures because I wasn't too pleased with how things were progressing. But, lessons learned.

Cutting contour lines into the foam takes some getting use to, but I was able to make out decently well without poking through the foam accidentally, too many times. There is a lot to cut in the chest assembly, so that means a lot of contour lines! A lot of lines that aren't on the patterns need to be cut as well, enabling the piece to take on the shape it is supposed to. Here's a look at some of that effort.

20140313_190541.jpg

And finally, here is what today's learning yielded. I am pretty happy with how a lot of the angles came together, and whoever mentioned (in their build thread) using packing tape to join your pieces on the finished edge, then hot glue the back is a hoss - that little technique saved me a lot of anguish and some profanity. ;)

20140313_185648.jpg

So this is what a couple hours has wrought. I'm a lot more confident in what I can make the foam do now, so hopefully the next few pieces will be that much better than these.

Attachments

• 20140313_120940.jpg
    20140313_120940.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 20140313_190616.jpg
    20140313_190616.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 20140313_190541.jpg
    20140313_190541.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 103
  • 20140313_122313.jpg
    20140313_122313.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 20140313_185648.jpg
    20140313_185648.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 113
looking good, if you start getting rough edges just use a polishing attachment with a dremel if you have one, but if its a edge that's ultimately not going to be shown (glued to another edge) then I wouldn't worry too much.

you got any idea what sort of reach spartan you're going for?

Thanks Flynney! That is a pro-tip that I am going to put to good use.

As for what Spartan I am looking to build, it'll be my own. ;) I don't plan on making the exact suit of any of the NOBLE team members so mine may as well be a MK V MOD X (where X represents how far along I intend to incorporate some of the MK VI pieces - at least, those that were available during Reach). I do want to incorporate the CQB collar on mine though, but we'll just have to see how that goes - I haven't seen an unwrap for it but that doesn't mean that I won't venture into that territory. Ultimately, I want my build to be unique enough to be unique, but familiar enough that it won't be out of place; time will tell how that all comes together.

Yea, when you get rough edges, change your blade or sharpen it- I used to cling to dull blades to save cash, but in the end I just wasted a lot of time making rough nasty edges that looked like crap and leaked a lot of glue.

Youre off off to a nice start though! I'm going to get to work on a new chest within the next month or so, and I'll be posting pics that look just like yours soon. Keep it up!

sounds like a plan! I've seen some people do foam collars if we're talking about the breacher one. Most pepakura models can be edited for use with foam, just a bit of trial and error. I tend to put the angle threshold to 160, turn off flaps and get rid of parts which create the layered effect since we can just move foam to the desire elevation. Doesn't look like it'll be a hard one to convert by the looks of it though!

Any plan on how you will tackle the helmet, I've seen some stunning foam helmets lately especially EVAKura's one!

looking good, if you start getting rough edges just use a polishing attachment with a dremel if you have one, but if its a edge that's ultimately not going to be shown (glued to another edge) then I wouldn't worry too much.

Yes, I went over this in my instructional video on Dremel bits and their uses.

Any plan on how you will tackle the helmet, I've seen some stunning foam helmets lately especially EVAKura's one!

...and thank you for the shout-out :)

The time you spent in the trenches figuring this stuff out is very much appreciated, but your free sharing of knowledge is truly valued. Thank you for the video link!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back