Touching up REACH ODST helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaminusPrime

RMO
405th Regiment Officer
Hey all, got a bit of a challenge for anyone interested.

Essentially I've got this Reach style odst helmet which is a great looking file however its missing a few details. including the lines over the top and chin areas of the helmet & some areas on the sides.

If anyone with some 3D modelling experience wants to touch up these details, maybe smooth it out and add some thickness to it to even make it 3D printable i think it could be a really nice piece!

I'm attaching a few files in this zip folder including the original pepakura files, there's a pepakura file with the textures as well, and some .obj files I've got for it.

I currently don't have the skill to modify it myself however going to work towards learning but if someone has the time to fix this up and share it id really appreciate it!

Attachments

• Halo reach ODST files.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 426
SOLD. I'll take a look at this later on today. Do you have a reference image with the details that you're wanting added?
Yeah I’m currently out at the moment but I’ll highlight the details added and upload some photos. one of the pepakura files also has the texture from halo reach for reference.

I really need to up my skills on this kind of stuff. Currently working on building a Reach ODST. Helmet would be a nice addition to what I have already gotten my hands onto. I pulled down what you had up and was looking at trying to separate the re breather and the visor shield to make them easier to print but meshmixer says no. I can skin it easy enough to make it printable but. Yeah smoothing and what not are still things I have not mastered and or made much headway on.

SOLD. I'll take a look at this later on today. Do you have a reference image with the details that you're wanting added?

sorry for the delay so basically adding the detail in these sections that I've outlined plus the lines that trace the helmet. Heres some images of the specific sections I'm looking to have added
MiN01SK.png

pD9Prm4.png

I really need to up my skills on this kind of stuff. Currently working on building a Reach ODST. Helmet would be a nice addition to what I have already gotten my hands onto. I pulled down what you had up and was looking at trying to separate the re breather and the visor shield to make them easier to print but meshmixer says no. I can skin it easy enough to make it printable but. Yeah smoothing and what not are still things I have not mastered and or made much headway on.

all good dude! after searching through piles of these models this is my favourite personally. my pepakura undold is attached if you want to try and make it in that method. check out my odst build thread or instagram to see how well that came out because its come out really well hand crafted. im just looking for that extra step to make it higher quality and hell if you want to try practising some 3d skills perhaps this is a decent model to play around with! theres a model attached with the rebreather and visor shield too with those gaps filled in :) for the pepakura build i just left them out and hand made pieces to fill.

Good luck to both of you :)

I will be playing with it in time. But finishing the files for my shins and thighs are first. I have a dutch and a rookie odst helmet that I sized and printed for myself from models that I got from dutch props.

Desktop Screenshot 2018.08.15 - 15.08.22.76.png Desktop Screenshot 2018.08.15 - 15.08.22.76.png Desktop Screenshot 2018.08.15 - 15.18.22.81.png Desktop Screenshot 2018.08.15 - 15.19.14.29.png Desktop Screenshot 2018.08.15 - 15.34.41.72.png Desktop Screenshot 2018.08.15 - 15.39.48.32.png So ive been tinkering around with that file you had. This as much detail as ive added so far. Completely new to blender so this may take me some time to perfect. Basically i smoothed out the helmet then i have to drag back all the sharp lines without causing too many anomalies. Ive only spent about an hour on it so far but thought id share. im sure there is amuch easier way to go about this but im just working with what i know. P.S: just ordered my first 3d printer :) I will update once I have cleaned it up more.

Last edited:
Desktop Screenshot 2018.08.15 - 16.58.55.99.png Desktop Screenshot 2018.08.15 - 16.59.00.82.png Desktop Screenshot 2018.08.15 - 17.00.19.65.png Desktop Screenshot 2018.08.15 - 17.01.06.24.png Got a bit further thought id show a side by side. What i will likely do is just work on one side and cut and flip when getting ready to print it. This is where you see one side super smooth. Once im happy with how it looks ill attempt to add those details you requested. Let me know what you guys think!

-- just a quick edit, i forgot to add thickness to the helmet before making all the fixes, when i went to add it the helmet basically turned itself inside out. Going to add the thickness first and start over, should look a bit better then whats above /\/\ will update later

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back