Transparent Paint

Seno Ypsamee

Well-Known Member
OK, I went into Walmart and saw some transparent gold spray paint, does anyone know if this stuff is transparent enough to see through?

I was going to buy a clear visor to save a couple of bucks and just spray paint it transparent gold, and I'll probably use a 2-liter bottle to test it out on. If it does not work on the bottle, I'll just buy the gold visor, but first, has anyone ever experimented with this so I can just go ahead oand use it or buy the gold visor?

I do not remember the brand, so, that's probably going to make it hard to answer.
 
Personally I would bring in something transparent into Wal-mart (like a small piece of plexiglass or a old CD case) and spray a little on to it to see for myself. :whistle: And if it doesn't work right don't buy it.
 

Seno Ypsamee

Well-Known Member
Evil Femle said:
Personally I would bring in something transparent into Wal-mart (like a small piece of plexiglass or a old CD case) and spray a little on to it to see for myself. :whistle: And if it doesn't work right don't buy it.
Hmm... I'll try that tomorrow when I go back for my card stock paper...

:rolleyes
 
Last edited by a moderator:

AoBfrost

Well-Known Member
Evil Femle said:
Personally I would bring in something transparent into Wal-mart (like a small piece of plexiglass or a old CD case) and spray a little on to it to see for myself. :whistle: And if it doesn't work right don't buy it.
Lol being devilish and using products before buying them, it reminds me of a kid at krogers today, eating a donut from the bakery without permission or buying it.

But yes testing will work, heck go to home depot or lowes, I bet they would let you test 50 different types of gold paint they have. Bring some clear plastic sheets or plastic wrap and spray to see if you can still see through it. or go "borrow" some plastic from the store.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Sigma LS

Sr Member
No matter what kind of paint you get, it won't look as good as a real iridium plated visor. The best you are going to get is the kind of visor that Westerfield studios has. Really cloudy and hard to see through and not reflective.

Suck it up, spend the extra ten bucks (it would cost you five for paint anyway) and buy the real deal.
 

Seno Ypsamee

Well-Known Member
Sigma-LS said:
No matter what kind of paint you get, it won't look as good as a real iridium plated visor. The best you are going to get is the kind of visor that Westerfield studios has. Really cloudy and hard to see through and not reflective.

Suck it up, spend the extra ten bucks (it would cost you five for paint anyway) and buy the real deal.
That's the problem, I kinda do not have a $10 extra dollars, well, forget it, I'll delay the project one week and get another $20 dollars for it and buy the gold plated visor :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

tsuyosa

New Member
OMG, i just had a thought...

Would it be feasible to heat up the gold plated visors people have been getting, and the vacuuform it on top of the legendary edition visor? Would that mess up the gold film? Would that mess up the visor? Man, if it worked though..... I might just be a genius! :D
 

tsuyosa

New Member
SPARTAN405 said:
It would not work. Its too thick to be able to form it around anything

C'mon man think! If not that then there must be another kind of visor with the same tinting that is thinner....

PS. Sintra can come preeeety thick but it is still quite mold-able at high heats. geez, even if it meant melting the inner face so that it 'draped' on top of it...

Why are we limiting ourselves here? This isn't a full helmet , heck... the plastic is already halfway there in the shape that i'd need. Are you sure that favor won't make this the exception to the rule?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

tsuyosa

New Member
SPARTAN405 said:
If Im correct, You are trying to achieve the dual visor look right? if so why not just use Seans method?
Because.... I'm not going to settle for "the best alternative".... I want to do it, and do it RIGHT.

I mean, c'mon... if you're really a part of the legion you should know the lengths the people go to for accuracy! (haha...oh the stories I've heard)

Gosh... i can't tell you how many PAGES of threads I've seen with people very seriously discussing the proper curvature for the ESB Vader chestbox!

Although Sean's solution IS good... and i respect him and those who use that method... somehow I still feel like we're half-assing even the ATTEMPT at getting a truly accurate visor!

more than that... I have the gut instinct that it's doable.... no... I KNOW it's doable. We just have to nail it down

Call me the optimist :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

dwoo

Jr Member
tsuyosa -- I have had the same desire to make a more accurate visor.

I think the bubble shape (compound curve) of the visor can be done with a vacuformer including the raised effect replicated with the double visor method. See my post with a balloon squeezed into the visor hole. Amber colored acrylic sheet comes close to the color but the metallic reflective tint of the visor is the long pole in this tent. In my research, the metallic (half-silvered) tint cannot be DIY. In the polycarb cycle visors its a coating that won't respond well to temps you would need to thermoform. And the car window tint films don't apply well to the bubble shape I am talkin' about let alone stick to plastic.

Hope I haven't discouraged anyone, because there may be a solution out there I have not found yet.

Please see my previous posts on this subject.

-dwoo
 

rpalmer919

New Member
dwoo said:
tsuyosa -- I have had the same desire to make a more accurate visor.

I think the bubble shape (compound curve) of the visor can be done with a vacuformer including the raised effect replicated with the double visor method. See my post with a balloon squeezed into the visor hole. Amber colored acrylic sheet comes close to the color but the metallic reflective tint of the visor is the long pole in this tent. In my research, the metallic (half-silvered) tint cannot be DIY. In the polycarb cycle visors its a coating that won't respond well to temps you would need to thermoform. And the car window tint films don't apply well to the bubble shape I am talkin' about let alone stick to plastic.

Hope I haven't discouraged anyone, because there may be a solution out there I have not found yet.

Please see my previous posts on this subject.

-dwoo
I found this company: Evaporated Coatings that sounds like they have a product that might suffice for the gold mirrored coating. I've emailed them, and will let you know what I hear back from them.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Darth Favre

Member
I had an idea on this, maybe someone can shoot it down or try it. I was going to try the dual motorcycle visor thing as well, but thought about using a router bit on the dremel to round off the edges of the outer one. Would this work? Even possible?
 
I recently had the idea of making a molded visor, only using a plastic that comes out being clear, then applying a coat of whatever chemicals are needed to get the gold tint. Anyone willing to try this out? Or anyone at least know of any plastic that comes out clear when molded?
 

AoBfrost

Well-Known Member
Clear plastic will come out clear when molded. But I cant say if it will be clear enough to see out of, then gold tinting it with paints, your asking for a visor like the legendary helmet then...

Vacuum forming would be alot easier on this.
 
Top