Tried pepakura…

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoelace414

Ok, first post here. I’ve always wanted to make some costume armor, be it Star Wars, Halo, old roman, or anything like that. I’ve been working on a quilt for my child, and since that’s done, I have extra craft time. I looked around and the Halo people seem to care less about being perfect, so I figured cheap way in would be Pepakura.

I downloaded some armor files, but I didn’t want to start with the helmet.. you know.. give it a try with a “less important” part of the armor. Well… it was a slow go. And then it doesn’t even seem like it would fit. And there is the fiberglass, bondo.. I decided I am going to give a try for 3D printing. I’ve always wanted a 3D printer, so I’m started to research what 3D printer to get. Any tips?
This is how far I made it with the pepakura method. I did figure out I liked crazy glue best. I kept gluing my fingers together with the gorilla glue. Also I liked the snap blade instead of exacto knife, because I always had a fresh blade.

Attachments

• D8A41894-ACC9-45A5-8D18-C6CE10A740CC.jpeg
    D8A41894-ACC9-45A5-8D18-C6CE10A740CC.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 119
Ok, first post here. I’ve always wanted to make some costume armor, be it Star Wars, Halo, old roman, or anything like that. I’ve been working on a quilt for my child, and since that’s done, I have extra craft time. I looked around and the Halo people seem to care less about being perfect, so I figured cheap way in would be Pepakura.

I downloaded some armor files, but I didn’t want to start with the helmet.. you know.. give it a try with a “less important” part of the armor. Well… it was a slow go. And then it doesn’t even seem like it would fit. And there is the fiberglass, bondo.. I decided I am going to give a try for 3D printing. I’ve always wanted a 3D printer, so I’m started to research what 3D printer to get. Any tips?
This is how far I made it with the pepakura method. I did figure out I liked crazy glue best. I kept gluing my fingers together with the gorilla glue. Also I liked the snap blade instead of exacto knife, because I always had a fresh blade.
I will say the ODST shins are pretty difficult to scale properly. Also they are not easy to pep. Your knee looks pretty good. Pep also is not going to be necessarily any cheaper than anything else unless you have gallons of resin and bondo just laying around.

3d printing is very fun too tho. A lot of people here use creality's cr-10 series. And a lot of people here use the ender 3 or 5 series as well. Personally, I have an ender 3 pro but I only use it for small parts and details and whatnot bc printing something big would take forever and be fairly difficult on a 3.
Truthfully, any of the three main methods for making armor here on the forum are going to have a pretty big learning curve if you have no experience. Also, I don't think of any one method as being cheaper than the others. You just spend your money on different stuff.

I’ve always wanted a 3D printer, but never could justify it. Maybe this is just me starting out cheap (paper and knives) before I got to the resin part, (I actually used armorsmith) and deciding I want to move forward, but with 3D instead. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back