Trip Mine

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasqueNoMercy

So I started working on this about a month ago but was put on hold because i needed to find resin and bondo (autozone) and expanding foam for the inside (home depot)... If anyone has any suggestions or ideas on how to go about this project, feel free to comment

The thing is pep'd and assembled and i got the file to print from off the pepakura library but it isnt exactly the same as the in game mine, close but maybe not close enough for some people

Construction just about in the middle of the hard part... the center curved area

[attachment=7199:CIMG1009.JPG] [attachment=7200:CIMG1010.JPG]

Construction complete

[attachment=7201:CIMG1011.JPG] [attachment=7202:CIMG1012.JPG]

Resined, Bondoed, and Foamed

[attachment=12600:CIMG1190.JPG] [attachment=12600:CIMG1191.JPG]

Primed

[attachment=13213:CIMG1341.JPG]

Lessons learned:

1. Window foam is soft and spongy, hardware foam is hard and durable

2. If you add foam, too many holes is not enough holes, always add more holes and bondo them up later otherwise face expansion and explosion

3. Dont let bondo sit for too long or it will get really hard to sand down

4. Dont glob on too much resin otherwise you will get hard drops everywhere

5. make sure your whole mode is of one kind of texture, (resin your bondo or bondo your resin) otherwise the primer will not look right after the whole thing is sprayed(still checking if i can just spray more primer to see if that will fix it)

Update - 11/01/2009 WELL... this is my first attempt at this stuff... i think i learned a lot of useful tips which as you saw i put up there... but im surprised i havent reached catastrophic failure at all, but heres an image of how the mine looks after the primer spraying

The PDO was made by Rundown.

Don't forget to put leds on the legs. It looks really good. I left the center out of mine to build it more game accurate. Make sure you post a pic once you finish it.

looks good! make sure you dont blow it up when you foam it. what i did was put a hole in for spraying the foam in, then several other holes so if the foam expands too much then it can go out through the holes. you will probable have popcorn looking things made of foam popping out but you can cut them off easily then cover everything up with bondo.
good luck on the rest of it.

You could also try adding a thing the beeps inside it.
555ex5.gif

Nice job! Where did you get the pep file for this?

I've been wanting to make a small version of this to use as a coaster since I 'work' at a very nice wood desk that's been in my family for years.

EDIT: Sorry, I should probably learn to read a bit before I post. I went to Rundown's profile and didn't see a link or anything to the PDO file. I'm relatively new here so that might sound like a noobic thing to say but can someone help me?

For Reven : http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopi...amp;hl=tripmine

For the OP : If I were you, I would resin it with multiple layers 5-10. Then, but the tripmine upside down in some sort of a lego pattern to hold his shape. Then cut the bottom of it and fiberglass it WITHOUT pushing too much to distort it. You'll have better results than with foam. Or if you have money, fill it up with SC300 with microbubbles added to the mix.

LastSpartan said:
For Reven : http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopi...amp;hl=tripmine

For the OP : If I were you, I would resin it with multiple layers 5-10. Then, but the tripmine upside down in some sort of a lego pattern to hold his shape. Then cut the bottom of it and fiberglass it WITHOUT pushing too much to distort it. You'll have better results than with foam. Or if you have money, fill it up with SC300 with microbubbles added to the mix.

Many thanks to you and rundown! I've been wanting this for months.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow... so many questions... when did that happen?!

how long it took - a week and half of work at around 830 - 12 at night including printing, slicing, and pasting

where i got the file - i went on the pepakura website itself and they have a library of downloads, small library, but one is the mine

how big - about 17 inches max... not counting the little legs its about 12 inches

looks like simon says - yes it does! im not going to put a working game inside of it but that would be hilarious

leds or sound - making the sounds would be better than the lights i think... unless i put small lights along the grooves in the center to make it looks like it lights up yellow while its actually the color of the light reflecting off the bottom... nice schematic... i have no idea what it means... but my friend is an electrical engineer who works for the navy so maybe he can help with that part

foam or fiber - i actually bought the foam can.. but not the fiberglass cloths... and i dont think i would have the heart to cut this thing in half after all the work i did on it

uhh... i think i got everyone... im putting email notifications on this post! :)

this weekend i start with resin...

this i not dead... im just really lazy... im sanding it one last time before i fill in the holes i made to get the sanding particles out and then... THEN i will finally take some picture

i apologize for my laziness

and oh yeah, if it takes me this long just to make the thing, i dont know how long electrical stuff would take so im not gonna do that, although making the trip mine beep would have been awesome.

wow thats bin a long time ago, no worries. I'm doing over a year now with my MKVI pep xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back