Trooper's Brute Mauler, bring an old friend to life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trooper114

H3-BruteMauler-transparent_zps208c089f.png

Back in Halo 3 one of my favorite weapons was the brute mauler, and for a while i have been debating whether to make one or not, so i began working on a brute mauler and have been doing so for the last 2 or 3 days, now. I've been using L3X BLU3R1V3R's sliced file for this, and it is excellent, i don't think i've seen anyone else use it, but if you ever want to make one, i recommend this. I'm planning on using a flash light i found at target that uses a orange light, thanks to Halloween season, to light up the barrel like in the pics, and will have a removable clip, i also plan on making twin maulers, if all goes well with this one. Needless to say, the mauler is a beast in size, a good 18.5 inches in length, about 14.5 inches in height, and even then, it may still not be 100% to scale.
Pic:

IMG_0966_zps35fb56c8.jpg

More to come.

According to the Hallo Essential Visual Guide, the Mauler is 527 cm (20.8 in) in length. So you've got it pretty close to scale. Can't wait to see how this turns out. The mauler was my favorite Halo sidearm. I'm so disappointed in Halo 3 for not allowing us to have maulers as starting weapons in multiplayer, or even having them available at all on most maps in forge. Also rather disappointed that it didn't make it into Halo 4, but the Boltshot seems to be in a good position to take up the slack.

UPDATE

I completed putting together the gun itself, now to put the drum together. This thing is very nice to hold, and the cardboard gives it a nice weight. So far so good.

Pics:

IMG_09701_zpsf104c06f.jpg

IMG_09691_zpsbeae5484.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, i'm not planning to, not with this one, but it would a interesting thing to try out later, maybe a working trigger with a mechanism that rotates the drum. :confused

Well, i'm not planning to, not with this one, but it would a interesting thing to try out later, maybe a working trigger with a mechanism that rotates the drum. :confused

If you can get ahold of a Nerf Maverick, Firefly, or Spectre and pull it apart that could give you some help with the rotation mechanism. I'd suggest the Spectre, since it's a 5 shot, like the Mauler, whereas the Maverick and the Firefly are 6 and 8 respectively.

somewhere I have a HD sliced file and i wish i could find it. it would make your build look so much more epic than it already is. heres a pic of one that i started like 2 years ago with it and never finished.
IMAG0673.jpg

IMAG0674.jpg

If i do find it, or if i get unlazy and reslice the file i have ill make sure and let you know. If you want it that is.

UPDATE

It's been a while since my last update thanks to school. So L3X released a new, more detailed version of his Mauler file not to long ago so i decided to restart with that file because i liked it better. This new one is roughly to scale and as you can see it is larger then the first. For now the main focus is on the new one, i may later on finish the the first one and put it on the classifieds for sale/trade but that won't be for a while. Now for the detail pieces, i should have another update by the end of the weekend, hopefully.

Pics:

IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_1047.jpg

UPDATE!!!

I added in some more details to it, so far so good. This will be my last update for now. I will continue after finals next month.

IMG_1087.jpg

This is really looking great so far, the details are looking fantastic. Good luck with your finals.

UPDATE

So i'm back boys and girls with an update. I'm back home and i decided to bring the first Mauler i made with me mostly for a test run as far as the paint is concerned. I just need to make the drum, which i will work on tomorrow. I have decided to put this one up for trade but i'll post more info on that in the classifieds when this thing is done. I added in some more details, and it turned out very nice, i'm planing on using magnets to hold the drum in place. the barrel is PVC and fits very nicely. The back end of the barrel will remain open in case the person who wants this decides to shove in some electronics for a light like i was originally planning, that is if i decide to not do it my self. This whole build is turning out to come along very smoothly. However i do have a question for you all. What should i do for the edges as see in the front and back view? I thought about wood filler or bondo but i can spot a few places where it would be hard to do. Should i just paint over it as is? Thanks for the help.

Here are the pics:

IMG_1153_zps729aa89a.jpg

FRONT
IMG_1154_zpsf4c708e9.jpg

BACK
IMG_1155_zps6f19cd3a.jpg

IMG_1156_zpse1c4d65a.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back