Trooper's Spartan III and ODST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dagger06

Well, my thread was lost in the forum, so here's a new one.

First off a tribute to my ODST. The first suit I made. I have a soft spot for Marines, and Marines the jump out of spaceships definitely are badass in my book, even if they're not real.

Here's what it looked like when I first showed it at AX:

3834234367_ace764941d_o.jpg

The helmet took about 2 weeks to pep, because I probably have ADD. It's very rough, so the best lesson I can give to everyone is that a good paint job can make or break a suit. A lot of people have said that the roughness was well disguised as battle damage...lucky me. I followed the painting tutorial right here on the 405th and it worked great. Also, a flashy red stripe helps distract everything. A few of the details I did in cardboard, because I hadn't discovered foamies or other thigns yet. I would not recommend doing that again..cardboard likes to disintegrate after a while.

The visor was a cut up sun visor. I liked the look and the fact that it was tinted...however it kept falling apart. In fact the entirety of AX 09 my motto was that the suit was held together by dreams and duct tape..lots of duct tape. I had a roll strapped on my belt.

3671080450_a812d0fa28.jpg

Detail of the sun visor so you can see what it was supposed to look like until it fell apart.

I also have a lot more WIP pictures if you want, but I think people have seen enough pictures of bondo and resin to last a lifetime.

Flickr Gallery

After the helmet (yeah, I like to do the helmet first. =P) I did everything else in 3 days, starting with the chest piece. I'm not a fan of most of the ODST chest pieces that were out, since they were based off concept art and lacked the "curve". Much love to the modelers, but it just bugged me. So I ended up pretty much destroying my piece with too much rondo trying to reshape it. It weighed a ton, it was hideous, it was messy, but I loved the superintendent face so much I left it on my Mickey suit. The little strap details are two marine corps MCMAP belts folded up (didn't want to cut them apart).

The only other piece I had pepped in time for AX was the stomach piece. For the side plates I used two ammo pouches I spray painted gray. They just needed to fill in empty space, but they worked really well. The belt buckle is a cardboard housing that is continually falling to pieces and held together by duct tape. The codpiece is cardboard or foam board wrapped in fabric with little straps glued on. I used a russian RD-54 harness painted black to add additional detail, with padding from straps used to bulk up the shoulder straps. I used my camera bag as a butt pack.

The shoulders were cut out from cardboard, resined, bondoed, and painted. Ghetto, but they worked for short notice! The grenades are water bottles with spray paint caps glued on. Still need to repalce them. The leggings are catcher's greaves with random pouches strapped onto them. Still using them today since I suck at making shins.

The forearms are painted kiddie shin guards. Apparently a child's leg is the size of my forearm. Score! I found foamies by this point and used them to make it appear to wrap around my entire arm.

So that was the AX debut.

Next timeline was a rush job to get everything done for the Gamestop tour. I pepped shoulders (including a CQB shoulder), hip plates, butt plate, knees, stomach pieces, a new chest piece...and some really lame thighs. I suck with fiberglass. Luckily on a really fun trip out to Texas to Ithica's (so sad I haven't gone again!) Savvytank let me cast up one of his amazing chest pieces and it's so great I'm still using it today. Oh yeah, I also velcroed a flashlight on and got a link visor.

3869045939_3066758130.jpg

ODST gamestop tour.

And then...next deadline: PAX! Yeah, I always rush things. But BUNGIE..come on, gotta show off to Bungie. :)

3889398452_f3f812b6f2_z.jpg

I think they like it. :)

Okay, so for this one, I pepped a comm pack to complete the Mickey look...so rough. I really need to spend time finishing things more. I also did up a Dare costume for my sister. The new shoulder straps were made from MOLLE 2 backpack straps, and I cast up a rough flashlight mount. For the ONI operative, I let my sister use my RD54 harness to give her a little different look since the ONI suit had different straps/packs. I used a recon helmet cast by Ithica with a different forehead piece he was kind enough to give to me in Texas, and thankfully someone came out with a Dare stomach pep a few days before PAX. I took an old ODST stomach and modified it a bit to be more like Dare's piece:

3885882583_43699b7e67.jpg

I redid the top part and used foamies to add additional details. Rondoed it up to give it a the boxier look.

After PAX there were no real changes aside from getting a set of Savvy's awesome gauntlets. I used the WETA ODST shouldrs to make the little part that comes out over the elbow.

4031541682_c5c6ac2c2e.jpg

Went to the midnight launch in costume..the antenna broke off as it's prone to doing. Oh yeah, and Halloween. Got very drunk in this thing and hopped some fences in it, but I won $100 prize costume contest as well! And lost to Ms Piggy in another contest, which we won't speak of.

So what's next for the ODST? Well it's going back to AX this weekend! Entered into the cosplay.com costume contest and I'm in the finalists..so here's hoping I win some monies.

36190_984745494983_1234605_52974025_2944112_n.jpg

I did the bondo thing a little bit to make the visor fit a little tighter, spend a little time smoothing out a few things, and I integrated a flashlight into it better. Added the UNSC logo to the chest piece. The shoulder straps were repainted black with fabric paint, then I ended up spray painting them gray. I got those kevlar protective thighs that NewSpartanCreator and SavvyTank used, just because my thighs didn't look good anyways and these were easy improvements. I painted a simple camo pattern on the thighs and forearms. Here's hoping I don't need the duct tape as much this time around!

=====

Okay, so the ODST was a rush job to get it doen for AX..then the gamestop tour..then PAX. And I'm pretty happy with how it got pulled off. Now it's rush time for another game release! Even sooner than release actually... because I know bungie will be at PAX, so I need to finish before Sep1. >_< So I've been working in overdrive.

35881_984740964063_1234605_52973801_6148871_n.jpg

My little workshop area. I still need to pep boot pieces, a thigh, and the helmet attachment. Most of the stuff has been rondoed for strength. I plan on making casting these in plastic for the most part, so long term strength isn't a huge concern for me. They just need to be strong enough to support a mold.

35881_984740974043_1234605_52973803_6207642_n.jpg

These need to be reinforced before I can resin them. I am terrible with getting things resined without warping, so I'm kind of nervous. The belt I'm trying to decide how I want to approach it. I'm thinking about chopping it up and doing it in sections, plus that will let it be fitted to more people.

35881_984740979033_1234605_52973804_554438_n.jpg

Playing around with molds at night because power tools are a no-no after 10pm. I'm pretty new to mold making, but it's an interesting process. Many thanks to Dave and the folks in Texas for that little gettogether. It taught me a LOT.

35881_984740989013_1234605_52973806_4340703_n.jpg

Detailing the knee. It's being molded right now. Just need to build a mother mold and hopefully it'll come out fine!

35881_984741003983_1234605_52973809_5330420_n.jpg

Cast handplate with a gauntlet (rough). I modified the gauntlet so it would be ambidextrous like in the game. Plus then I can mold it and save some time.

36190_984745480013_1234605_52974022_6553095_n.jpg

Ab plate is next. Just needs final sanding and detailing. Slowly going up in complexity for molds.

36190_984745485003_1234605_52974023_2128475_n.jpg

Next up. The shin is slightly warped, and fixing that has been a pain, but probably not as big a pain as pepping and redoing the shin from scratch would be. Bleh. Gauntlet looks better, but it'll be more of a pain to detail.

Anyways, I'm rushing on this project amidst summer school, military obligations, and a tight schedule..plus trying to retain sanity, so updates will be sporadic. I haven't been documenting this as much as my ODST suit. Still, if you have any specific questions, please ask!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very well made ODST suit, i really like it, isn't it stressful making armors with deadlines? :)

Really nice ODST suit, good luck with your next project.

Oh, and it sounds like you had a fun Halloween. I couldnt even imagine trying to hop a fence in ODST armor.

Your ODST suit has always been one of my favorite costumes I've seen. It may not be built as perfectly to spec as others, but it has a functional, realistic look to it that most suits lack. Great job!

Dude! Another suit with an impending deadline? You, sir, are the good kind of crazy. Best of luck to you once again, given your past record, I know you can pull this off.

Dang Trooper, I remember you from a year ago, and seeing how good a rush job can look, and one thing that will make the Spartan III suit better is that it's less pieces. lol.

That's definitely a lot of work into a suit of ODST armor. End result looks great! And I hope you get the new reach stuff done in time. I'm sure Bungie would appreciate it.

Wow, silly me. When trying to track this thread down I found out apparently my old thread does exist! Oh well.

First off, I went to AX this weekend, and it was great seeing some other 405th members and their suits. Here's a few select pics:

IMG_3166.jpg

34859_469710429571_835664571_6307404_976859_n.jpg

4759613460_3d35d3f7bf_z.jpg

4759608982_69e9d09a36_z.jpg

Can't forget that nametape!

====

Anyways, update on the reach model:

Decided to go and make a rough sculpt of the gauntlets out of clay instead. I wasn't happy with the shape the gauntlet was taking (too boxy) and the amount of work it would take to put in a lot of details. Here's the original getting ready to go into rubber so I can make a transition pull.

36124_987532210383_1234605_53085217_6223386_n.jpg

Once that's done I'll use bono and sanding to smooth it out and foamies to detail. Should be a little faster than trying to smooth and make a final right from the clay.

Shoulders have their drilled details done. Just need to glue on foamies strategically now.

36361_987532355093_1234605_53085222_6522070_n.jpg

Belt is starting to take shape:

36361_987532360083_1234605_53085223_5329822_n.jpg

36361_987532365073_1234605_53085224_4391352_n.jpg

I've split it into four pieces. The rationale is that the details on the side are all by that box detail, so theoreticaly you could fit this belt to your size by trimming the edges of the side pieces, strap everythign to a web belt, get a nice fit. Hope that works! Plus, four small open faced pieces will be easier to mold and cast.

36361_987532370063_1234605_53085225_2903430_n.jpg

I think I'm just going to rondo everything from here on out for the sake of speed. Since I'm not making these pieces to be the final one, they only need to be strong enough to hold shape for bondo/clay and molding. maybe someday I'll make something with fiberglass again to make it strong and light, but for now all the fiberglass will go to making mother molds.

36361_987532375053_1234605_53085226_1763132_n.jpg

Chest and helmet

36361_987532380043_1234605_53085227_8014168_n.jpg

Going very heavy on the bondo to try and get these darn thighs the right shape. These are probably the most bondo intensive pieces I have. Damn round shapes.

36361_987532385033_1234605_53085228_6101090_n.jpg

Gauntlet with two coats of rubber. One thin, one thick. Not going to put any more. It technically only has to hold together for one pull anyways.

=====

Thank you for the comments. Yeah...deadlines suck. But I'm such a procrastinator, it's the only way I get work done! And I'm glad you like the functional/realistic look.

Super accuracy isn't usually the way I approach my armor designs. Heck, the We are ODST and especially the WETA armors aren't game accurate themselves, and everyone loves those. I am trying to put a little more polish on the reach suits though so that I can offer them up to people who want them.

It suscks there's no fancy release. There really wasn't much for ODST down here either. Bah, oh well.

And I was very pleasantly surprised that the Reach armor is actually less work than an ODST.

Anyways, here's my gameplan:

Bondo and dremel the belt
Bondo and dremel details for the thighs.
Thighs will then become a late night project with clay work to make the inner pieces
Bondo and dremel the chest
Build boots out of clay with some pepped details.

Either go ahead and finish the shin or redo it since I think it'd be better slightly bigger and without the warping. This is time dependent.

Molds for all the current pieces. This should all be finished before July 20th.

After that is work on individual spartans:

Jun helmet + attachment
Clay sculpt details for Jun's shoulders
Jun's forearm dealio
Purchase thigh pouch/butt pouch/knife

Possibly, depending how ahead of schedule I get:
Emile's helmet + side detail attachment
Emile's shoulders
Forearm detail
Purchase suspenders/grenade holders

I may focus on emile instead of Jun just because there's less sculpting (=less time needed) and he's a lot more iconic with that skull thing. The downside is trying to figure out how to build the visor, because I do intend to have the skull actually scratched in.

Anyways, been a busy 4th of July weekend...time to focus on schoolwork for a little bit.

Woo...did this with the photo editing software I bought at AX.

4770548964_f11107f845_b.jpg

Pretty neat and did it in just a few seconds.

WOWEE!!! How did I miss this thread???????????????
I have two quick questions,
1. Are those thighs the ones I modeled? along with the shins, cod and forearm? It looks like it.
2. How long did it take you to pep all of this? I want to make my own suit for the release, but all I have is forearms from brandon, and I am purchasing a helmet. I want to know how long it took to pep all the parts I am missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back