True RC Pelican WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparticus594

Jr Member
Howdy Everyone! This is my first actually WIP and postings about a build that im passionate about. Ive seen alot of people say they were attempt this and fail but i believe its truely possible. I have built a few pieces here and there. An ODST helm, a Mark 5 helm, ODST chest plate(CORE), a marine chest plate, halo reach chest plate, Mark 4 shoulder/bicep and shin. All of it i was just testing out what i can do and perfecting my pep skillz and also my resining/fiberglass skills so now ive decided to take on a true challenge that nobody and their grandma has ever created. A true RC pelican. Thanks to the amazing wonderful 3d designers of the 405th I'm proud to say i found a great model to start with. I believ eits Belvors Pelican? i could be wrong in the name but i know it starts with a B fer sure. Ive always loved RC planes and have been great at flying planes from RC planes to real working aircraft. So i decided lets give alittle back to the 405th! Hoorah! I printed out the 60 page long detailed pelican (the halo 2 model because the only halo 3 one i found had a huge front and looked like a hunch back pelican.) anyways on to the glorious news of amazingness!!!!

Ive spent the last few nights looking at what im dealing with. The pelican model isnt HOLY JESUS detailed which i like and is also 3 feet long by 2.5 feet wide by 1.5 tall (without landing gear). This is where i started to think okay what do i want it to do? do i want it to fly or do i want it to be a true pelican that will represent the 405th. Obviously i was liek LAWL 405th all duh way HOORAH! and so these are my plans. Pelicans in the game roll with 8 engines pointing to the rear for thrust and and 6 pointing down for elevation thrust. okay now stay with me here your probably like 8 engines for flying thurst and 6 engines for vertical thrust ahh hell that aint happening. and in all honest i doubt that would too. So ima cut back alittle bit but not too much. I have decided to work on the ability of stable hovering before i work with the ability of actual flight. So I have only peped a wing atm because im sizing everything up seein where i can put what (i also have to do with Allerions and elevators also but i have a trick in mind that could be pretty awesome if it works). The wing itself is big enough i believe that i can put 3 (fer sure) to 4(if im lucky) engines in each fuselage wing. 2 giving flying thrust and the other 2 hover thrust. Im just guessing atm that the fuselage will be heavier than the tail so it will need more thrust. Also i havent decided for sure but i was thinkin of puting gyros in the wing joints that way they can pivot for elevation or my other idea was to when i pull back on the elevator to have the 4 hover thruster engines in the front spin up to give it lift in the front end. Now to talk about the tail. As you all may know there are two Tail wing tips with 2 engines for flyig thrust and 1 engine for hover thrust. I dont believe ill bealbe to fit more than 2 engines in these 1 for hover 1 for thrust so instead when it comes to hover i was going to definitely make them have gyros to rotate them downward. that way they both are at angles perpendicular to eachother but both pointing toward the ground to give extra hovering lift in the rear to help control and stablize more (non of this is set in stone i have to make sure all the motors work correctly as well as controls.) Also last but not least the problem of stability itself. what am i gonna do if a hard wind hits the left side of the pelican? i was going to make it to wear when i push the (rudder stick option) that the two opposite side engines (front left and back right) would increase to turn the pelican to the right and vice versa for the left. as for just swaying side to side when i hit the allerion stick to the left or right i was going to have the engines (that give the thrust to make it fly not hover) accerlate to give it the ability to turn. All this is just thoughts and speculation and alot of guess and check work that im going to be doing. If all work plays out correctly then i believe my prototype will work as functioned. Oh im sorry i forgot to mention engines/flaps. Okay so im not gonna be using prop engines because that just eliminates the whole point of a pelican it would make it look ugly and turn it into more of a V-22 osprey than a halo pelican. So ive been looking into mini turbine propulsion and ive come up with a few good leads into it that id like to check out once the pep and resin was done. On to the flaps! Pelicans are like a flying bus so sad to say they have 4 mini flaps. 2 on each of the fuselage wings. Im not gonna get my hopes up but im hoping these along with the rear engine gyros and the forward hover engines will help give it the lift i need to perform normal flight. But thats far ahead in the future. 1st step is to run 2nd step is to walk as i always say. Another thing Ive also worried about is weight. This proto type is going to be made out of ur standard pepakura with 2-3 coats of resin and ALOT of sanding down to get rid of weight issues aswell as give it the awesome look of a pelican. Still im really hoping to stuff the necissary engines inside to give it the ammount of thrust needed. Im not worried as much for actually flight as i am for hovering. To take off a run way without hovering gives u the momentum and lift u need but from a dead stop to getting in the air is gonna take some serious power and some seriously perfecting rotation/alighnments of all engines. Again my awesome novel ive just written for you all is alot of speculation but no matter what im not giving up on this project i will make this pelican fly! For now Im currently gathering materials (Glue, Glue, MOAR GLUE! and moar xacto knife blades) as well as researching the best type of engines/gyros/controllers. As I said before I have recently started peping the 3 foot pelican i have one wing partially assembled and the cuts and folds on it are absolutely beautiful. Definitely my best work yet. If you have any advice or any questions please feel free to post! Help me take a gaint step for the 405th as well as myself! BTW i hope u enjoyed reading my novel! =D

Most of the technical stuff flew over my head, but it looks like you've done your homework. I really hope that you can fulfil you're dream, it would be amazing. Good luck!

Most of the technical stuff flew over my head, but it looks like you've done your homework. I really hope that you can fulfil you're dream, it would be amazing. Good luck!

Thank you! :) Ill try to post as much as possible. Ima hit pep hard tomorrow mornin im doin alittle more research before i go full swing into it

Firsty I want to tell you this idea is awesome, I will offer you some constructive criticism how ever.

It sounds like you've done a lot of research and thats great my next step before building though would be do some maths. Find out based on size and how much weight this thing will eventually weigh i.e. if your pepping it your gonna need something like fibre glass (this is assuming your not vacuum moulding this from model later) so take into account how much you'll need and work out an approximate weight when its done, then add extra for motors etc and from that find a formula for determining what amount of power and thrust is needed to lift it into a hover mode.

Head off to your local model shop with that power number and see if they have or can get motors and propellers that would do the job, find out they're weight and size, with that knowledge i'd start building. I say you need those numbers because ultimately its the components that would dictate its size.

I really do wish you the best of luck and hope to hear more progress soon, and please don't take this to be me saying its impossible and putting you down. I'm not. I genuinely hope you succeed and If I can help you out at all then I will :)

DBmike

This looks great on the bulletin board, but unless you timeout how to create a mini jet engine, this won't be a perfect Pelican. This thing could weight a ton when you are done. The amount of thrust you need to get it up off the ground would take at LEAST four propeller blades. That is possible, but I think it would take too much out of the Pelican. You ever seen the RC Hornet they put in stores? Just look at all the detailing they took out to build it.

I love the idea, but I just don't think physics will allow a PERFECT Pelican.

UPDATE TIME!

Hey all! so I have good news! and Bad news! I dont know about ya'll but i like my desert first so here goes! I finished pepping the wing easy enough and ive looked at it done some measuring and guess what! Im going tobeable to fit in not 2 not 3 but 4 engines in this baby! the wing is absolutely beautiful. So what I imagined is gonna work i believe 4 hovering engines in the front 2 wings along with another 2 gryo thrust/flight engines in the rear i beleive i can get this bus to fly! okay time for the veggies! =/ I dont know how to post pictures on this sight... so if someone could tell me how id love to keep ya'll informed on the up goings of the prototype!

Firsty I want to tell you this idea is awesome, I will offer you some constructive criticism how ever.

It sounds like you've done a lot of research and thats great my next step before building though would be do some maths. Find out based on size and how much weight this thing will eventually weigh i.e. if your pepping it your gonna need something like fibre glass (this is assuming your not vacuum moulding this from model later) so take into account how much you'll need and work out an approximate weight when its done, then add extra for motors etc and from that find a formula for determining what amount of power and thrust is needed to lift it into a hover mode.

Head off to your local model shop with that power number and see if they have or can get motors and propellers that would do the job, find out they're weight and size, with that knowledge i'd start building. I say you need those numbers because ultimately its the components that would dictate its size.

I really do wish you the best of luck and hope to hear more progress soon, and please don't take this to be me saying its impossible and putting you down. I'm not. I genuinely hope you succeed and If I can help you out at all then I will :)

DBmike

Yeah man i appreciate the advice! Atm down here they arent open on sundays so im going to visit them tomorrow on monday. I was hoping to run some 12 electric turbine engines in it but also like u said they need to generate ALOT of thrust and lift. In worst case scenario ill have a gaint blue print and ill remake it out of wood instead of fiberglass resin and cardstock

This looks great on the bulletin board, but unless you timeout how to create a mini jet engine, this won't be a perfect Pelican. This thing could weight a ton when you are done. The amount of thrust you need to get it up off the ground would take at LEAST four propeller blades. That is possible, but I think it would take too much out of the Pelican. You ever seen the RC Hornet they put in stores? Just look at all the detailing they took out to build it.

I love the idea, but I just don't think physics will allow a PERFECT Pelican.

Yeah i love the idea too! :) thats why no matter what im not gonna give up on it. and yeah i know i hate the RC hornet they ruined it =/ I will find a way for turbine engines to lift this baby off the ground!

Yeah man i appreciate the advice! Atm down here they arent open on sundays so im going to visit them tomorrow on monday. I was hoping to run some 12 electric turbine engines in it but also like u said they need to generate ALOT of thrust and lift. In worst case scenario ill have a gaint blue print and ill remake it out of wood instead of fiberglass resin and cardstock

firstly to answer your question just upload to photo bucket and then take the img code and paste it into the reply box :)

Again I wouldn't use wood either, if I were you i'd actually start building out of EVA foam. Its very tough and extremely light weight; my entire suit is made from it and compared to a fibreglassed suit I can barely tell I'm wearing it. I believe modern RC planes are made from part EVA foam anyway or at least a close match to it so its definitely something I'd seriously consider using. Don't scrap the pep model though because you can keep it as a physical reference guide for a rebuild.

Where are you based? if its UK i know a few good places that could help you out.

Im in texas at the moment. And would i beable to buy eva foam at the rc hobby shop?

Not likely, i'm not familiar with what shops would sell it in the US but try home depot? (I've seen people mention that place before) personally your best bet (its where i get mine) is Ebay. Here in the UK we can get it at about 32sqft for £30 so thats probably about $40-$50 i'd imagine

I didn't buy eva foam, but I bought some floor mats, they were in walmart in the gym section. I think it's cheaper online though.
Seth

How would paper mache do? It would be light not as light as foam but it would also give me all the details i want and would safe alot of time/money.

Haven't ever made anything paper mache, but what you might want to think about is making the model out of pep (follow through all of the steps) and cast it in some sort of lightweight plastic. I don't know if it would work, but it's a thought.
Seth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back