Trying to simplify a mesh in Blender

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boba Fett

Here's my dilemma: I've got several models that I'm trying to use in pep. Problem is, they're designed for use in games. Numerous times, 2 planes will collide where paper would never do so. Now, how can I join the numerous planes together so it makes senes? I can add a picture if anyone is confuesd... thanks.

You are going to have to edit the mesh. Intersecting geometry is commonly used in games to keep poly count low. Can you post pics?

moz-screenshot-3.png
moz-screenshot-4.png
sadly, windows is being a total arse right now, but I posted a screen-cap of the issue. I took it in pep, but it's the same in blender

http://www.4shared.com/file/ssmPhlPQ/Doc1.html

Well, you could just run a Boolean operation. Select the objects in object mode, hit W, select Union. The new object that appears will be the intersecting parts. You can join the meshes together (while still in object mode), then just do a few modifications in edit mode to fix the extra faces and vertices. Unless you're talking about faces or edges in the same object?

You might need to re-check your image and upload it to Photobucket. You're posting file-paths from your computer, that won't work.

Other than that, 3DS Max has a Weld function, if it helps. Never encountered much like this in Blender, I only really use it for open edge removal.

@cpt. recon: I didn't mean to do that, I meant for someone to click on the link. accidentally pasted it onto the text
@chevy: What you suggested worked, but the mesh becomes really weird, there's like 2 faces where there was 1.
http://www.4shared.com/file/csGyPbft/test.html
I merged a plane with a cube, and this is what it did. It worked, but how can I get rid of that extra plane? And how would I merge 2 meshes within the same object? I'm on the right track, just not sure about it completely...

Yeah that's the main problem with Boolean operations, it makes weird faces lol. You just have to delete those multiple faces and then make In new faces between the proper vertices. Be sure to remove any double vertices beforehand, though, or the faces may not turn out right (the normals will flip around, etc.). In object mode, you can combine multiple meshes into one object by selecting all of the ones you want to join, hitting Ctrl J, and clicking "Join selected meshes".

By the way, and on an unrelated note, how's the unfold for the "new thing" going along?

Going good, the thing about it is it has SO many faces.... I'll hurry it up though. Thanks for the help, I think this should work.

Here's a quick tutorial for general modeling to correct intersecting objects. The process is the same, and it can be done in any modeling software. The tools may be different, but watch the vid and you'll get the idea. For best results, watch in 1080p.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back