Not open for further replies.

TurboCharizard

RXO and BCO
405th Regiment Officer
Community Staff
Stream Team
Member DIN
S068
Let's start off with the fun thing about this thread, it's the first actual in progress Halo themed costume thread I've done and I'm what? 650 messages and two years into this account? No big deal...

The plan is simple, do a bit of 3D design, do a bit of foamsmithing and a bit of sewing until it all comes out looking a little something like this.
Vanity_636572519868564295.png

Since my first attempt at Halo themed armour way back when which turned out okay, I've had plenty of other projects to learn and better hone my skills so I'm excited to bring my new knowledge to the table and do my best in my first Spartan attempt.

I've always been a sucker for the CQB armour variants, probably something to do with how I always get deemed as the point man in paintball to get into a space fast and clear it out. With that in mind I'm going to be arming my Spartan self with only the finest of room-clearing equipment. The M45 Tactical Shotgun, a M6G Personal Defense Weapon System (gunslinger at heart) and a Type-2 Energy Weapon (Gravity Hammer) because that's how I roll. Yes it is three weapons, and yes, I don't care. More props for the prop wall. I might make some grenades while I'm at it just to keep you fine folks entertained.

Much like my Breath of the Wild Build Log I'll be posting updates as I go and linking parts of the build to the first post for ease of jumping through for the folks that just are after the juicy bits of information about specifics and not all the memes that inevitably pop up when the fine folks of this forum eventually roll in.

The time frame for completion of the build will likely be similar to my other ones, aim to finish the core of it in two to three months, do extras and add on goodies at the end and then let the glamour pics roll in after the maiden voyage at a convention.

Buckle up kiddos, you're in for a ride.

Helmet - CQB [Complete?]
Modelling - 13 hours
Printing - 10.5 days
Sanding/Filling/Surface Finishing - 13 hours
Painting - 4 hours
VacFormer Update - 2 hours
Visor Buck Build - 2 hours
Visor - 1 hour
Different Visor Tests - 8 hours
Torso - Mk.V [Complete]
Building - 23 hours
Modelling - 2.5 hours
Printing - 18 hours
Painting - 2 hours
Electronics - 4 hours
Shoulders/Biceps - Genadier(L) Recon(R) [Complete]
Building - 7 hours
Modelling - 1 hour
Painting - 1 hour
Electronics - 0.5 hours
Gauntlets - Tactical [Complete]
Building - 8 hours
Painting - 1 hour
Modelling - 2 hours
Printing - 10 hours
Surface Finishing - 2 hours
Painting - 2 hours
Electronics - 1 hour
Thighs- Mk.V [Complete]
Building -9 hours
Painting - 1 hour
Electronics - 0.5 hours
Shins/Boots- Mk.V [Adjusting]
Building - 16 hours
Painting - 2 hours
Under Suit - [Complete]
Patterning - 3 hours
Sewing - 8 hours
M45 Tactical Shotgun [Complete]
Modelling - 12.5 hours
Printing - 147 hours
Sanding/Filling/Suface Finishing/Electronics - 18 hours
Painting -3 hours
Electronics - 1 hour
M6G Personal Defense Weapon System [On Display Wall]
Printing - 18 hours
Sanding/Filling/Surface Finishing - 3 hours
Painting - 1 hour
Type-2 Energy Weapon [Patterned]
Patterning - 2 hours
Combat Knife [Sleeping]
Modelling - 2 hours
Printing - 8 hours
Surface Finishing - 3 hours
Painting - 1.5 hours
Armour Ability [Complete]
Modelling - 2 hours
Printing -21 hours
Surface Finishing - 2.5 hours
Electronics/Code - 3 hours
Painting - 2 hours

Materials Consumed
10mm EVA Foam - 15 2'x2' mats
6mm EVA Foam - 1 8'x3' roll
2mm EVA Foam - 4 11"x17" sheets
BSI InstaSet CA Glue - 4 bottles
LePage Heavy Duty Contact Cement - 1 can
Hot Glue - 120 sticks
eSun PLA+ - ~6 1kg spools
Sharpies - 5
DupliColor Heavy Body Filler Primer - 2 cans
Leak Seal Black - 3 cans
Rustoleum 2X Canyon Black - 2 can
P3 Black Spray Primer - 1 can
Rustoleum 2X Canyon Espresso - 2 cans
XTC3D -
Bondo Body Filler
Bondo Spot Putty
LePage 5 Minute Epoxy - 2 syringes
3M Duct Tape - 2 rolls
Press and Seal - 1 roll
Under Armor long sleeve shirt
Women's capri biking pants
Marine Vinyl Black - 1 meter
Marine Vinyl Dark Gray - 1 meter
4 way stretch Polyester - 3 meters
Sports jersey fabric - 2 meters
Laundry hamper mesh fabric - 1 meter
1500m Serger thread cones - 4 cones
Non-roll elastic tape - 1 meter
1/2" nylon webbing - 2 meters
22 AWG Solid Core Wire - 2 25' spools
12 pixel NeoPixel Ring
Adafruit Gemma
1 USB charger cord
Perfboard

Tools Purchased
Tevo Tornado
Brother 1034D Serger

TurboCharizard POST #1000

Last edited:
Last edited:
Nice! I love the Reach CQB helmet! it has that clean yet bulky look going on! very excited for this build

First actual post and it's a fun one. I've been digging up armour files and everything is awesome. I forgot the joys of having patterns already being made for me and then just having to build. We're so spoiled. Anyway, that's planned for a post about scaling and that is not for today, today we start with a post about the armoury!

Only the finest of hardware from Misriah Armory, the M45 Tactical Shotgun is where this build begins partly due to the fact that I wanted a relaxing week of 3D modeling and mostly because SHOTGUN.
HR_Render_M45.png

There's already an awesome model out there in the FFA series which is attributed to Martin Lee Ball, it's fantastic. I love it but where's the challenge and fun in using someone else's work and having to add features to it to make it operate the way I want it to? So as relaxation this week after work I've derped around on the computer digging up files and have logged around 7 hours in Fusion to get to where I'm at.
M45 Tactical Shotgun v26.png

stock.png stock1.png stock2.png handle1.png handle.png shroud.png shroud1.png

One of the fun parts of this was integrating real world specs into the design. May I introduce you to the NATO standard STANAG 4694.
NATO-RAIL-Feb-08.jpg

It's dimensions are stupidly close to the reference photo scaling that I had to make this a meter long and only slightly going off scale for the height of the rail to follow the NATO spec seemed like a fun endeavour. Yes, following NATO standards seems fun to me. Being an adult is weird.
29354708_1332333536910452_7583977904127354519_o.png

The plan is to print this beastly thing in ~6 sections per half and create splits at logical points which can easily be hidden to reduce the joys of gap filling. The main supports will be 3/4" ID Schedule 40 PVC (OD of 1") or acrylic piping which will run the majority of the length of the shotgun while doubling as the magazine, barrel and pump action guide tube. Because I'm a freak that works with ships the majority of the piece is hollow and is designed with a series of internal ribs and frames for support that will hold the support rods in place while also having convenient channels and routing for wiring. All indicators and lamps will be lit with LEDs which I haven't quite finished the circuit design for yet but will be finishing shortly. Batteries will be able to be removed, charged and changed through a magnetic cover on the butt of the prop.
M45 Rear Cover.png

As you can see, slots for fasteners are left as recesses so that real ones can be installed later. I'm looking at using Chicago screws at some points that are symmetrical so that certain panels can be removed to create convenient snack holders.

PerniciousDuke has been an excellent resource for helping me figure out which bits move and how his M45 operates with low profile drawer slides. If I'm doing a give-away in this thread too at some point, he's getting a copy of whatever it is for being awesome.

Today I goofed off and learned to play Star Wars: Legion (which I highly recommend) but since I've got a four day weekend coming up I'll most likely bang out the last little bit of this and get it to the printer sometime next week and also get some images of a side project for Schankerz out and floating around the internets. As proof of my goofing off and showing how cool the game is, here's the game model of my favourite Star Wars ship alongside the Micro Machines Star Wars Action Fleet T-47 Airspeeder that I've had since I was 7[?]. FFG knocked these minis out of the park, the infantry are alright but the vehicles are top notch.
DSC_0942.JPG

SI3RRA 117 if you want more memes, simply build it and they will come. mblackwell1002 and Duke are already watching and I accidentally (not really) tagged Schankerz so we have the majority of thread derailers/memelords already assembled. We just need to attract attention of that Dirt guy.

Duke, you're getting updates if you like it or not, I'll mail them to you if I have to.

Nice! I love the Reach CQB helmet! it has that clean yet bulky look going on! very excited for this build
CQB is a way of life. Gotta look like a boss while being the first one through that threshold.

Oh yes, we’re gonna have a hoot in here I can already tell, fun times and awesome guns/armour, what more would you want from a thread?

We just gotta be careful not to attract the attention of some certain powerful staff members to our new hideout. I think they may have us on a tracked watch list or something so we gotta be careful...we should keep an eye on that Dirt fellow though...he’s pretty high up on the popularity ladder and could be fraternizing with the enemy...can’t trust the old fart...not yet...

"SI3RRA 117 if you want more memes, simply build it and they will come. mblackwell1002 and Duke are already watching and I accidentally (not really) tagged Schankerz so we have the majority of thread derailers/memelords already assembled. We just need to attract attention of that Dirt guy.

You had me at SHOTGUN!!!!

Last edited:
First actual post and it's a fun one. I've been digging up armour files and everything is awesome. I forgot the joys of having patterns already being made for me and then just having to build. We're so spoiled. Anyway, that's planned for a post about scaling and that is not for today, today we start with a post about the armoury!

Only the finest of hardware from Misriah Armory, the M45 Tactical Shotgun is where this build begins partly due to the fact that I wanted a relaxing week of 3D modeling and mostly because SHOTGUN.
View attachment 254280
There's already an awesome model out there in the FFA series which is attributed to Martin Lee Ball, it's fantastic. I love it but where's the challenge and fun in using someone else's work and having to add features to it to make it operate the way I want it to? So as relaxation this week after work I've derped around on the computer digging up files and have logged around 7 hours in Fusion to get to where I'm at.
View attachment 254281
View attachment 254290 View attachment 254291 View attachment 254292 View attachment 254286 View attachment 254285 View attachment 254288 View attachment 254289

One of the fun parts of this was integrating real world specs into the design. May I introduce you to the NATO standard STANAG 4694.
View attachment 254287
It's dimensions are stupidly close to the reference photo scaling that I had to make this a meter long and only slightly going off scale for the height of the rail to follow the NATO spec seemed like a fun endeavour. Yes, following NATO standards seems fun to me. Being an adult is weird.
View attachment 254293

The plan is to print this beastly thing in ~6 sections per half and create splits at logical points which can easily be hidden to reduce the joys of gap filling. The main supports will be 3/4" ID Schedule 40 PVC (OD of 1") or acrylic piping which will run the majority of the length of the shotgun while doubling as the magazine, barrel and pump action guide tube. Because I'm a freak that works with ships the majority of the piece is hollow and is designed with a series of internal ribs and frames for support that will hold the support rods in place while also having convenient channels and routing for wiring. All indicators and lamps will be lit with LEDs which I haven't quite finished the circuit design for yet but will be finishing shortly. Batteries will be able to be removed, charged and changed through a magnetic cover on the butt of the prop.
View attachment 254282
As you can see, slots for fasteners are left as recesses so that real ones can be installed later. I'm looking at using Chicago screws at some points that are symmetrical so that certain panels can be removed to create convenient snack holders.

PerniciousDuke has been an excellent resource for helping me figure out which bits move and how his M45 operates with low profile drawer slides. If I'm doing a give-away in this thread too at some point, he's getting a copy of whatever it is for being awesome.

Today I goofed off and learned to play Star Wars: Legion (which I highly recommend) but since I've got a four day weekend coming up I'll most likely bang out the last little bit of this and get it to the printer sometime next week and also get some images of a side project for Schankerz out and floating around the internets. As proof of my goofing off and showing how cool the game is, here's the game model of my favourite Star Wars ship alongside the Micro Machines Star Wars Action Fleet T-47 Airspeeder that I've had since I was 7[?]. FFG knocked these minis out of the park, the infantry are alright but the vehicles are top notch.
View attachment 254284

SI3RRA 117 if you want more memes, simply build it and they will come. mblackwell1002 and Duke are already watching and I accidentally (not really) tagged Schankerz so we have the majority of thread derailers/memelords already assembled. We just need to attract attention of that Dirt guy.

Duke, you're getting updates if you like it or not, I'll mail them to you if I have to.

CQB is a way of life. Gotta look like a boss while being the first one through that threshold.
heck yeah!

But Pleasepleaseplease, design the pump mechanism correctly. There's this other model that drives me crazy...no way those shells would be pumped into the receiver.

Your shotty is looking super dope so far. (Dope is...synonymous with "f-ing awesome")

Good luck!
good luck.gif

Me, a derailer? Nonsense. I couldn't even get my gif to show up!

You found 8" ones! That could work. I'm gonna tag kaween so he can check out your Shotgun plans.

How do you even find stuff like that NATO CAD? That's pretty sweet.

Duke, you're always in the thick of it and get lumped in with the rest of the crew. Congratulations on being part of the actively posting members that make up the meme team.

Oh yes, we’re gonna have a hoot in here I can already tell, fun times and awesome guns/armour, what more would you want from a thread?

We just gotta be careful not to attract the attention of some certain powerful staff members to our new hideout. I think they may have us on a tracked watch list or something so we gotta be careful...we should keep an eye on that Dirt fellow though...he’s pretty high up on the popularity ladder and could be fraternizing with the enemy...can’t trust the old fart...not yet...

Uh... Posting as an RMO and comments from an RXO, there might be some staff in the thread good sah.

Also fantastic work on the modeling TurboChiarzard really coming out great.

Thanks mang, taking it slow and steady to make sure everything works is a different approach and I'm digging it after the con crunch of the last couple months.

You had me at SHOTGUN!!!!

You're the reason I chose shotgun :p

heck yeah!

But Pleasepleaseplease, design the pump mechanism correctly. There's this other model that drives me crazy...no way those shells would be pumped into the receiver.

Your shotty is looking super dope so far. (Dope is...synonymous with "f-ing awesome")

Good luck!
View attachment 254298

I was running through frame by frame animations with Duke the other day and we were figuring out the mechanisms. I might make the port hinged to load in fake shells or Pez.

but Duke is getting top billing.....not to say he doesn't deserve it.....but if you guys are laterally equals...you deserve it as well.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back